How'd it go today?

Called out! Lol.

Pics are cool, but I get too that some people enjoy their anonymity. I could GAF. Steal my identity. I dare ya!

I get privacy.

Who's looking?, if my thought.

Weird enough not hearing people's voices that we're "talking to". Not seeing what a person looks like, is very strange to me, too. MB without a drawl, Gary with. You aren't dropping "ay" into written sentences, but might in person, or say "aboot" not 'about'.

Yeah, I see whole truck and trailer loads of relatively small trees going to the mills. Someone is buying and selling. Nothing wrong with that. I get curious who and where when i see those trucks rolling by. You can't offer critique without at least seeing pics. :lol:

...I don't really know how to post em.

That was me for years and years on here.
Does your phone/camera have the ability of sending the pics to your email? If it does, and you have a Mac... it's the easiest thing in the world.

Whatcha been doing with cattle? I've been chasing them and trying, mostly in vain, to throw a rope around their neck. Or more preferably their horns.

We bought a little more land, and have started raising a few Angus. We've just got 13 head right now, but getting all the fencing done, and rehabbing the barns have been time consuming.

I've learned a lot about grass too. And hay......and balers.....and....

:|:

Hey Randy, good to see you checking in! Our saws are still running great. :)

That's great Fred. Glad to hear they are working out for you.

I got tired of being a dumb logger, so the last two days have been spent in another part of the country, trying to get through the ISA/ETW certification.

Even though I'm just a dumb logger, I've been doing all kind of treework, for a long time and had it as an interest outside of work as well.
So I didn't expect to have much trouble with the 8 practical and theoretical tests.
I was cruising through them, still not worried and even able to joke a bit ( Actually more than a bit, see below) with the cencors, so I felt that all was good.

When I did the oral test (Is it just me, or does that sound a bit dirty?) the first question I drew was : " Explain CODIT, what it is and what it does"
I have these two VERY serious gentlemen sitting there, waiting for me to expound.
One was a British observer, here to make sure the Danes don't slack off and lower the standards.
So, out of politenes to him, I spoke English ( American, actually).

Anyway, I looked down at the paper with the question on it, and started explaining how, back in the late 60es, when the Western European states started gettting together around a trade union, the EF, which later ( Unfortunately) turned into a political union, the EU ( Even though the original vote was about trade, and the populations of the various member countries, have NEVER been given the right to vote about the political union.........sorry, I disgress) The east block countries of course felt threatened by what they rightfully saw as a trade oriented parrallel to NATO and started their own trade union under the name of CODIT in order to be able to counter any western import taxes on eastern goods with taxes of their own, but turned the other way.

I looked up, and both of them looked like someone had hit them over the head with a brick:lol:

Honestly, you should have seen them, it was so funny.They honestly didn't know whether to shit or go blind.:lol:

Of course I went on to properly explain CODIT and all their other questions and passed that one with flying colors, like the rest of the tests. ( Not that dumb of a logger, after all:D)

So the last test I'm missing, is the practical climbing test, which I figured was a piece of cake eaten on a walk in the park, since I've been climbing for 32 years, have a reputation of being able to do the bad ones and have been on several trips to the BIG trees. I mean, bring it on, boys!

I flunked it!

Turned out that 2 years ago , there had been a EU rule implemented, that all climbing gear had to be EU CE marked.
Since most of my gear is bought in the US, They wouldn't/couldn't let me climb on it. and had to fail me for showing up with gear that5 was not in compliance with current rules.
Richard fell by the same rule.

So, next summmer I have to go back and take a practical climbing test, that to be honest, I can pass with both hands tied on my back and a mid size heifer tied to my right leg in order to be a certified arborist.

Strange world, ain't it:lol:

Good story, Stig.

Welcome back, Randy. Btw, hella avatar!!!8)

Sean, I guess you got me, can't ignore that hand holding how-to post. Jed, I can email a pic from my phone to my email, what then, follow Sean's post or something different? It would be best I think to not have to empty all the phone pics into my puter before posting a pic here.

Nice work Stig. Do you know what specifically they failed you on? Rope diameter? Saddle certification? I'd be interested to hear what the difference is between the EU CE cert and our (rather non-specific when it comes to Arborist Saddle) ANSI Z133.

Congrats on getting all the hard stuff done, it's in the bag man 8)

Not having the CE is a fail in itself, the nuts and bolts of the differences between Z133 and the various EN standards don't even come into it.

CE is actually just a declaration that the item meets the applicable regulations and can be legally sold in any European country.

The actual standards are laid out in various EN documents, depending on the type of item. I would suggest that most of the kit in Stigs bag would probably meet the relevant EN standard and be possible to CE Mark, should the manufacturer wish to do some. Some things may need minor adjustments, for instance our life support gear has to be rated at 22kN, which is a few pounds different to the Z133, although I forget which is the stronger.

If I had been a competition climber, I would have known that, since they do the same gear inspection for comps.
Having absolutely no interest in sport of any kind, that has passed me by.
The stupid thing was that I failed because I'd entered the climbing zone with " faulty" gear.
If I'd found out beforehand, I could have borrrowed gear from someone or even a set from the forestry school and passsed with that.
They were actually pretty apologetic about having to flunk me, but rules are rules.

Peter, they told me that on the products that are also sold here, like my Poison Ivy rope, I could simply go to the Eurpopean importers homepage and print the CE for that product out, and then bring that next time.
By the time I can try again, it will be time to put a set of gear together for our new apprentice, so I'll just use that for the test.

Stig, the certification makes you a smart logger, or are there some other occupation opportunities that will arise?

I think I have seen that EU CE mark on some climbing gear sold here, I think manufactured in Italy.

If I had been a competition climber, I would have known that, since they do the same gear inspection for comps.
Having absolutely no interest in sport of any kind, that has passed me by.
The stupid thing was that I failed because I'd entered the climbing zone with " faulty" gear.
If I'd found out beforehand, I could have borrrowed gear from someone or even a set from the forestry school and passsed with that.
They were actually pretty apologetic about having to flunk me, but rules are rules.

Peter, they told me that on the products that are also sold here, like my Poison Ivy rope, I could simply go to the Eurpopean importers homepage and print the CE for that product out, and then bring that next time.
By the time I can try again, it will be time to put a set of gear together for our new apprentice, so I'll just use that for the test.

Some products may be different spec in the USA and Europe, although I doubt the isa guys will be thorough enough to check which version of a particular rope you have.

Some products, like donaghys armor-prus, would never get a CE Mark even though it's perfectly suited to its purpose.

Damn Stig, failed because of a technicality. That sucks in one way.....but not in the other. At least your knowledge and skill level didn't hold you back. As they would have me. LOL

Back