How'd it go today?

What was wrong with MB spread eagle one handing with a smoke in his mouth?

Spread eagele....One foot on tree, one foot hooked under limb for max stability in that situation.

One handing.... would it have been safer to have two hands on that saw but poor balance and positioning as a result.

The cigarette..... Cant see what about that would make an OSHA statistic of him.

I would have enagaged John Ball on that picture.

Went to a seminar in Griffith Park yesterday. Annual safety seminar with the TCC today. Yesterday was only John Ball all day, and as usual, he showed the pic of MB spread eagle, one-handing and a smoke in his mouth. Just thought I would mention it,

Sound's like someone is creepin' someone else's webpage.... if it will make anyone feel better I was taken to court with well over 200 facebook pages about me..... the case flopped, but that's another story.

Seriously? That makes me think about deleting my FB.....

It was my girlfriend's ex-husband who is a cop, he was trying to prove we live together in two separate houses in two separate towns, and I make millions of dollars. I think my case was extreme due to how much of an ahole the guy is, but the case fell apart because it proved we do not live together and that he didn't provide the source of his information, which was illegally obtained, since my facebook privacy settings are non-public.

Speaking of blown to smitherines, here's a repost of Jerry's...

Attachments

• kindling%201r.jpg
    kindling%201r.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 52
  • kindling%202r.jpg
    kindling%202r.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 53
  • kindling%203r.jpg
    kindling%203r.jpg
    728.1 KB · Views: 53
What was wrong with MB spread eagle one handing with a smoke in his mouth?

Spread eagele....One foot on tree, one foot hooked under limb for max stability in that situation.

One handing.... would it have been safer to have two hands on that saw but poor balance and positioning as a result.

The cigarette..... Cant see what about that would make an OSHA statistic of him.

I would have enagaged John Ball on that picture.

I did not say anything was wrong with it. Actually it is a pic of how a lot of us older guys did work. I just made an observation.
BTW, John Ball is not OSHA,,
BTW, the cigarette was only a reference,,
If you want to engage, I am game.
Jeff

Oh and BTW,, If you don.t know what is wrong then you probably should learn.
No offense to MB,,,,cool pic that is used to deter future climber's. We did and now nobody can. Jeff
:)

I cant engage. John Ball isnt here. My dispute wasnt at you at all. Pretty sure I clarified that in my last sentence.

Seemed odd to me that it only damaged the bark? The wood doesn't even look singed? I've got pics on my phone, but I'm having trouble getting my devices to 'share' their pics and if I post from the phone they're for sure sideways.

I'll be interested to see how the wood looks if we get to do the dissection. Hit I'd say about only 1/3rd of the way up, just above/at the 1st major branch union..

A lightning strike on a tree can not enter the tree. The tree and most commonly the bark is blown outward by the massive heated air impact and compresses the bark and in in a mili second it is blown off by the shock wave of super heated air. Bottom line, the electricity never entered the tree.
Jeff

I believe that your analysis is incorrect, Jeff, unless what I read is. The electricity seeking a path to the ground, usually finds it right under the bark in the sapwood and water, and follows that down. The reason that a lot of trees survive with just some scaring to the bark, or some bark getting blown off. Sometimes you can see the line or split in the bark running to the ground. In trees where the condition is such that the moisture content is deeper and more towards the center, perhaps older or rotting trees, the charge will seek the better conductivity there, and it can blow the tree apart, probably resulting from the return stroke after the wood experiences mighty compression.

I guess Ball was freaking cuz I didn't have a 2nd tie-in. Big whoop. I never tie in twice making that kinda cut. This pic was on that same job. What would Ball have to say about this?

Attachments

• elm tree 079.jpg
    elm tree 079.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 72
I believe that your analysis is incorrect, Jeff, unless what I read is. The electricity seeking a path to the ground, usually finds it right under the bark in the sapwood and water, and follows that down. The reason that a lot of trees survive with just some scaring to the bark, or some bark getting blown off. Sometimes you can see the line or split in the bark running to the ground. In trees where the condition is such that the moisture content is deeper and more towards the center, perhaps older or rotting trees, the charge will seek the better conductivity there, and it can blow the tree apart, probably resulting from the return stroke after the wood experiences mighty compression.

So John Ball is wrong and you are right? Should I get my money back? You are incorrect.

This makes sense to me. Some trees have quite a column of water/moisture in the center for various reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll let all the experts sort out what happens when lightning hits a tree. I was amazed at how little damage their was? This tree is a cottonwood and flowing heavy right now so I wonder if their was so little damage because it was a really good conductor or just because it wasn't a real 'big' strike?

I got 20 beehives delivered last night! Got a corner of a pasture buzzing pretty good now. They're not mine, just staying here in trade for some honey and because I think honey bees are cool!

I've cut trees that have had evidence of multiple strikes. Several different paths of bark blown off, spiraling down the trunk. Some paths partially healed over and others more recent. All on the same tree.

On the extreme end of the scale, when a tree explodes!! I have to say, in that case, lightening has to enter the tree. That's long been my understanding of it. I could be wrong though.

I got 20 beehives delivered last night! Got a corner of a pasture buzzing pretty good now. They're not mine, just staying here in trade for some honey and because I think honey bees are cool!

Squish thats one beeeautiful deal, beelieve me! ;)

I've cut trees that have had evidence of multiple strikes. Several different paths of bark blown off, spiraling down the trunk. Some paths partially healed over and others more recent. All on the same tree.

On the extreme end of the scale, when a tree explodes!! I have to say, in that case, lightening has to enter the tree. That's long been my understanding of it. I could be wrong though.

I just got a job to remove two lightning struck pines that are about 15 feet apart. They are both 50 footers and have a 6 inch stripe all the way to the ground where the bark was blown off. It then ran the surface roots and blew a trench in the grass for several feet. According to the HO it was one strike that hit both trees simultaneously. It would not have been a fun place to be at that instant.

Back