How'd it go today?

Had a guy from a heavy competitor work for me today. He used to run the show there and money became an issue. It is real nice having 16 yrs experience help out. Too bad he just moved to Tn. :banghead:
Anybody there need help?

I have a buddy that will come out on the side and do work with me. HELL OF A GROUNDMAN. Best Ive ever seen. Problem is he is only available after 2 thirty on weekdays and also available on weekends. In those timeframes I am typically not in a tree. I did work this past Saturday and had him out and he was a monster. he would run bruh to the chipper after he sent the rope back up to me and while I was rigging up the next piece. Im talking 45 seconds. Most guys wait for you to be ready. Not him. He uses that 45 seconds to get an armful of brush into the chipper. He wastes not one second. I haven't put any big wood on the rope for him though. The opportunity hasn't arose. Im curious how he deals with that. He has loads of roping experience but the guy that he has sidekicked for over the years is known for taking trees apart fast, but in tiny pieces. Not my style.

finished up the orchard today

Finished up the last of 3 weeks of chainsawing a neglected (for 100+ years) apple orchard into submission. Been working there every other year for 5 years and the entire orchard finally looks really great! Took out a lot of 40' cherry & maples and a lot of small mixed conifers before I could even get close enough to the trees to work on them. Took 2 spars of a 3-banger maple that had 2 40'-50' balsams hung up in 'em - kinda scare-y, but it was clockwork. Dropped the first one - nothing (didn't expect anything to loosen up). Dropped the second and everything came down as if it were part of a ballet. Wish I had video of it. Then there was the 20 year standing deadwood white pine (plus or minus 30" DBH): strangely, it interior was not bad, but the outside couple of inches just flaked away if you touched it. The client was watching and really nervous about it: happily, it went exactly where I wanted it to go. Dolmar's 7900 rocks! As does Stihl's telescoping chainsaw - a whole other story because I now own 2 of 'em.

Last edited:
Hey there, nice to see you again! LoL I'm awful, I can't remember people's real names after they've been off the board for a while, sorry.

I have fruit tree pruning to return to next week in Tasmania...still a newbie at it, but the stuff I did last year looks ok and there were plenty of apples so I guess I did ok!

Yesterday after work I must have hauled enough parts out of my dads' garage to build another Jeep engine with parts left over .Actually nearly a complete chassis .I haven't got them all moved yet .

Had a full day hourly job today for three. Greenbacks! More chipping work, too (for Erik). I think I pruned about 15 doug-firs and knocked down a couple more. Erik did about 5, including one that was climbed to about 80', with end weight reduction over the house. Father was taking care of his daughter. She and her currently overseas army husband will probably move within the next year. Dad wanted the prep work for the sale to be enjoyed by them for a year. Proactive.

Bigshot, Hitch hiker and rope walker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I overbid a redwood removal. I got nervous because of the steepness of the hill.

$3,200. Client hired us.

We took it out today. Took me and one other guy 4 hrs.

Highest hourly wage ever!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376462243.517323.jpg

love
nick

As if that number isn't out of line. 400/hr per man. How happy was the customer? Buyer beware I guess but that's not how my company is described.

Good work Nick. You offered a price, the client accepted. As long as you did what you said you would, it's all cool.

There was an engineer who had an exceptional gift for fixing all things mechanical. After serving his company loyally for over 30 years, he happily retired. Several years later his company contacted him regarding a seemingly impossible problem they were having with one of their multi-million dollar machines. They had tried everything and everyone else to get the machine fixed, but to no avail. In desperation, they called on the retired engineer who had solved so many of their problems in the past. The engineer reluctantly took the challenge. He spent a day studying the huge machine. At the end of the day he marked a small "x" in chalk on a particular component of the machine and proudly stated, "This is where your problem is." The part was replaced and the machine worked perfectly again. The company received a bill for $50,000 from the engineer for his service. They demanded an itemized accounting of his charges. The engineer responded briefly: One chalk mark......................$1 Knowing where to put it........$49,999

Ed,that is the story I used back when DED killed off all the elms here.

I had so many that could just be knocked over with wedges, even though there were buildings near. As you all know, elm hinges beautifully.

I took a standard price of $250 per tree ( This is almost 20 years ago). Most of them took less than 15 min to knock over, then the client did the clean-up.

Whenever they bitched about paying 250 bucks for 15 minutes work, though they had gladly agreed to the price beforehand, I pulled out that story.

Worked everytime:D

Was that engineer punished by God by becoming a leper, by any chance?

Why on earth should he be? Would you like to be compared to a shuttering joiner, knocking together plywood sheets that will be thrown away? or does the prices for your furniture reflect the many years of experience and hard work you have put in to hone your craft?

Aw, not too serious, Ed, it was just from a bible story about getting as much as you can get. Only meant to help keep perspective on such matters. Naaman seems to have been pretty well heeled too in those days, if only in sandals. Hopefully in some regards, the concept of service still exists. Odd, I don't normally read the Bibile. :dontknow: Go in peace.....

2 Kings 5:15-27
New International Version (NIV)
15 Then Naaman and all his attendants went back to the man of God. He stood before him and said, “Now I know that there is no God in all the world except in Israel. So please accept a gift from your servant.”

16 The prophet answered, “As surely as the Lord lives, whom I serve, I will not accept a thing.” And even though Naaman urged him, he refused.

17 “If you will not,” said Naaman, “please let me, your servant, be given as much earth as a pair of mules can carry, for your servant will never again make burnt offerings and sacrifices to any other god but the Lord. 18 But may the Lord forgive your servant for this one thing: When my master enters the temple of Rimmon to bow down and he is leaning on my arm and I have to bow there also—when I bow down in the temple of Rimmon, may the Lord forgive your servant for this.”

19 “Go in peace,” Elisha said.

After Naaman had traveled some distance, 20 Gehazi, the servant of Elisha the man of God, said to himself, “My master was too easy on Naaman, this Aramean, by not accepting from him what he brought. As surely as the Lord lives, I will run after him and get something from him.”

21 So Gehazi hurried after Naaman. When Naaman saw him running toward him, he got down from the chariot to meet him. “Is everything all right?” he asked.

22 “Everything is all right,” Gehazi answered. “My master sent me to say, ‘Two young men from the company of the prophets have just come to me from the hill country of Ephraim. Please give them a talent[a] of silver and two sets of clothing.’”

23 “By all means, take two talents,” said Naaman. He urged Gehazi to accept them, and then tied up the two talents of silver in two bags, with two sets of clothing. He gave them to two of his servants, and they carried them ahead of Gehazi. 24 When Gehazi came to the hill, he took the things from the servants and put them away in the house. He sent the men away and they left.

25 When he went in and stood before his master, Elisha asked him, “Where have you been, Gehazi?”

“Your servant didn’t go anywhere,” Gehazi answered.

26 But Elisha said to him, “Was not my spirit with you when the man got down from his chariot to meet you? Is this the time to take money or to accept clothes—or olive groves and vineyards, or flocks and herds, or male and female slaves? 27 Naaman’s leprosy will cling to you and to your descendants forever.” Then Gehazi went from Elisha’s presence and his skin was leprous—it had become as white as snow.

Back