How'd it go today?

Not much today .Stacked the ash I fell and split yesterday ,about a half cord and dropped and sliced two more today which will make about a cord .Damned though I managed to hang one up and had to get creative with the wedges to knock it loose .Chit happens .

Spent a half day getting my planer in shape for a cabinet I am going to start on. Freshly sharpened knives are so nice for a clean surface for the wood, and the beast runs quieter too. The next half of the day, I can't remember what i did. :|:

Well Jay in a way I wish I had a bigger planer than the 12.5" DeWalt .It does okay but it takes about millon passes to plane anything down at about 1/16" per .Sure would be nice to prune off about 1/4"

Right Al, removing a fair bit of wood per pass is a real time saver. My Northfield 24" planer has three separate motors, one for the feed, one for the table raising and lowering, and one for the cutter head. Deals can be had on heavy duty equipment if you look for them. In your area I would expect that to be much the case. I believe that Ohio was once a big player in woodworking machinery manufacturing.

Ohio at one time was the leading manufacture of just about any kind of machinery ,both metal and wood .For example in about 1920 in just Cincinnati alone over 5000 men were employed in the business of metal working stuff .

Now where you can find some deals is periodically they sell off old outdated wood working stuff from vocational schools which is all three phase and scares off the buyers .I just happened to know a guy who can make 3 phase stuff run on single phase .;)

Schools often have high quality gear, though it may be old. There is a newer generation of woodworking machinery, the best is out of Europe now, and costs an arm and a leg.. The old cast iron gear is still very useful. The newer equipment is quieter with greater precision. Moving the jointer fence and it stays square, for example. Little things that make a difference, but not so essential. I think that Northfield may be the only one left in the states for some heavy duty high grade woodworking machinery, one left where there once were many.

I had some branches to get off a roof so I needed my old heavy duty 30' ladder. I haven't used it for a while so I had to cut it free of jasmin and passionfruit vines with my hedge trimmer.

Job went ok, but I swear that thing has put on 20 pounds or more since 1978.

Aluminum must get heavier as it gets older.:scratch:

Spent the morning trimming out the front porch on a Habitat For Humanity duplex.

In the afternoon, pulled out my old version of Jerry's Double Line Rope Walker and tried on a 60' SRT climb. Swapped the hitch for a Shunt ... worked great.

edit: Oh yeah ... bought a x27 Fiskars splitting maul, and split a quarter cord ... it worked great, too.

Attachments

• 121017 Front trim is done.jpg
    121017 Front trim is done.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 11
Still not sure I have the face cut understood. Now I'm wondering if it's a deep conventional with a snipe? If so, I was mistaken in my previous posts.

Deep conventional with a snipe and most of the hinge cut away, you mean?

For felling spars, I prefer boring through the center of the hinge so I can leave it a little thicker at the edges. Otherwise I have to cut the hinge too thin in order to get it to tip over.

Deep conventional with a snipe and most of the hinge cut away, you mean?

Well, there is that, yes :).

I'm with you there, Brian. What Andrew is doing still leaves him very vulnerable to a smidge of side lean leading to hinge failure early in the fell.

Sure wish I spoke Russian :).

Back