How'd it go today?

Hey Bermie that is one of the advantages of island life. These last two weeks have been slow at work for me so I have been taking the time to take my son Sam to the beach as often as I can. He has just started to walk and the sand is fun for him. Here are a couple of pics my wife took today. IMG04453-20120901-1547.jpg IMG04463-20120901-1555.jpg IMG04460-20120901-1552.jpg

Just home from an oak tree overnighter.
We decided to say goodbye to the summer by spending the night in a tree.
Like last time we drug a grill up there and made jalapeno poppers and grilled the hind leg of a deer.
But this time we decided that it ain't really camping out, if you don't have a campfire.
Turned out to be a great idea. As night fell and the fire was lighting the canopy up, it was sooo cosy:) P1020241.JPG P1020259.JPG P1020243.JPG P1020244.JPG P1020248.JPG P1020250.JPG P1020261.JPG P1020278.JPG

Stig, I admire your fortitude in actually doing that. I've thought about it but it seems like the idea of camping in a tree is much more romantic than the reality. I guess I'm just a soft city boy after all.

I have to agree with Brian, my hat's off to you dudes for camping in the tree with the grill and that Septemer chill. You dudes are NUTS. Some guys/gals just have the extremist spirit, very nice photos to view from the comfort of my island digs. You are surely having fun.

We got a mite too relaxed during a rec climb a couple of years ago and a falling branch hit Richard on his helmetless head.
The sound was awful, I really though he was a goner.
Got away with a concussion and a split scalp, but we have been quite helmet conscious ever since.

wow what are the chances of that???? I climbed for 20 years without a helmet and only in the last couple years have I started to wear one, never been hit in the head with anything and that is with loading the tree etc. Just plain bad luck I guess that he happened to be there when it was ready to fall...

Stig, how did the nylon handle the heat from your fireplace dish thing? Any worries?

Smokey the bear says: "Remember only you can help prevent forest fires!" LOL That looked like a great time!

I went to work today at 5 AM because of being short of help labor day week end and all and worked 13 hours .

I felt certain the tropical storm had found it's way here because it rained like a cow pizzing on a flat rock .Only dropped about 3/4" in a half hour and was gone .I'm sure if that was it or not now .

Just home from an oak tree overnighter.
We decided to say goodbye to the summer by spending the night in a tree.
Like last time we drug a grill up there and made jalapeno poppers and grilled the hind leg of a deer.
But this time we decided that it ain't really camping out, if you don't have a campfire.
Turned out to be a great idea. As night fell and the fire was lighting the canopy up, it was sooo cosy:)View attachment 43429View attachment 43434View attachment 43430View attachment 43431View attachment 43432View attachment 43433View attachment 43435View attachment 43436

What a magnificent adventure, Stig. Gets my juices flowing, hopefully I'll be capable again.

Stig, how did the nylon handle the heat from your fireplace dish thing? Any worries?

Smokey the bear says: "Remember only you can help prevent forest fires!" LOL That looked like a great time!

Heat moves upwards, so no problem there.They were attached to a framework under the fire platter and didn't even get lukewarm.

As for starting a forestfire, only way to do that most of the year around here is by calling in a napalm strike.

Our hardwood forests are WET.

Don't worry, Burnham.
You'll be back in the trees eventually. Footlocking may be a problem on an artificial hip, but a motorized treeguy like yourself don't need to do that anyway.
Would have been fun to have you along. The two of us could probably have spun some good yarns to the entertainment of the youngsters:)

Back