How'd it go today?

He is, but he is laid up on my sofa snoring. He can still kill the biggest of the big, but he has been saying lately that it hurts him anymore. He slammed that ash and came down and high tailed it for the ibuprofen he spotted in my glovebox. His words as he sucked down the pills were "30 years on the gaffs is bad news"

Nice to work with your mentor. I went and did the same in June here, it was fun!

Heh man, your pm's are full.

We got a job off the books today that I've been somewhat avoiding. A co-worker of my wife's with a nasty steep angled driveway. Well I got the chipper/boom backed down there no problem which was nice. Then the two long dead birch on the far side of the house came down with no one dying so that was nice too. They were gone, one could be felled between the house and the fence because it was only a spar, pretty much all the branches/top had already come out. The other my man climbed and it was pretty gnarly, spurs sinking deep right from the get go, stopped shy of where it needed to be climbed out to fit it down in the drop zone and power poled the top out in a few pieces, had to let some go into the neighbors which I had already warned them about. The top was basically being held together by the bark.

Also slayed a tortured silver maple and then ground three stumps I had made earlier in the year.

No quotes tonight, that's nice for the odd evening at home.

I'm still waiting to get into the docs for my shoulder, hard to schedule it without it interferring with work. It's stiff and weak, somedays are better painwise than others but the lack of strength in certain positions is very unnerving to me.

Chris, yet another very cool short story about your uncle! How bout some pics?????? Nice that you had a high dollar on it, it turned higher with him aloft. You ground guys musta been running ragged trying to keep up.

So if memory serves, your uncle is a taut line guy, what does he think of the concept of a hitch climber and split tail and new school in general?

I can't remember the last time I had a day of big/hard that I didn't start with pre-dose of vitamen I and follow up with post completion dosage as well.

SOrry to hear about the theft Pete. Really ticks me off people taking others things.

Meeting with a friendly competitor went well today. Might do more climbing than ground work. Some rigging as well. See how it goes when he presents the bid. Good couple days work if we get it. 7 green pondos from about 65 foot to 1oo foot high with lots of targets and he gets to do the felling after I brush them out :D

Then went over to the road job. Rob had the large limb rigged off and brushed out. Set him up to chip as I dragged the brush. Then I felled the rest of the tree away from the road and got busy bucking and brushing that out. 24" DBH blue oak. Cat faced and part hollow. Found some holding wood in it and tipped it with some wedges. Huge amount of side weight since it lost about 1/2 of its canopy on the other side. I took it 90* out and up hill. Love it when a plan comes together. FInish moving the wood tomorrow and then work on some fire clearance on the road.

Chris, yet another very cool short story about your uncle! How bout some pics?????? Nice that you had a high dollar on it, it turned higher with him aloft. You ground guys musta been running ragged trying to keep up.

So if memory serves, your uncle is a taut line guy, what does he think of the concept of a hitch climber and split tail and new school in general?

He has tried that stuff and I've seen evidence in his gear bags and garage of having tried modern tactics. He just wanders on back to his old school ways it seems. Just stuck in his ways I guess.

There is an annual music event in the closest large town. A famous conductor assembles many world class classical musicians from various countries, and they put on some performances in a large hall. My French restaurant owner friend got connected somehow and had a quintet of musicians perform along with a buffet type meal afterwards. I had a free pass in exchange for cutting some Birch trees around his home. I ate and drank too much, not entirely to blame as my friend kept filling my glass with various red wines. The bass player was a super cool guy, lives in Germany and plays for the Frankfurt symphony. His instrument was 250 years old. I couldn't help noticing that there was a beauty on the violin, very Michelangelo sculptured looking in sexy shoes. It was a very enjoyable evening, and even though i don't know much about classical music, I think I might be the most cultured person in the Treehouse today.....at least for a few hours....tut tut....

He has tried that stuff and I've seen evidence in his gear bags and garage of having tried modern tactics. He just wanders on back to his old school ways it seems. Just stuck in his ways I guess.

Come on, bro, pics!

I'll take pics tomorrow if we get up to anything interesting. I seem to think tomorrow is just typical work that isnt too amusing. I'll snap a pic or so.

Yeah, you already did the nasty job on the books today, but tomm you can still get pics of him and his gear. Post his saddle in the saddle thread!! I bet its a buckingham

Well, just got done with supper. Didn't get home until 8:30. I declare that Carl has got to where he likes to work long hours.....:lol:

Carl and the words work long hours, don't really go together very well. I guess all the new fancy toys have not figured out that they need to pay for themselves yet!!

Long hours are easier when the toys are doing most of the heavy work.

There is an annual music event in the closest large town. A famous conductor assembles many world class classical musicians from various countries, and they put on some performances in a large hall. My French restaurant owner friend got connected somehow and had a quintet of musicians perform along with a buffet type meal afterwards. I had a free pass in exchange for cutting some Birch trees around his home. I ate and drank too much, not entirely to blame as my friend kept filling my glass with various red wines. The bass player was a super cool guy, lives in Germany and plays for the Frankfurt symphony. His instrument was 250 years old. I couldn't help noticing that there was a beauty on the violin, very Michelangelo sculptured looking in sexy shoes. It was a very enjoyable evening, and even though i don't know much about classical music, I think I might be the most cultured person in the Treehouse today.....at least for a few hours....tut tut....

Haha, sounds like a good time.

Climbed a doug-fir in The Man's tree spurs. Reminded me why I use pole spurs on my own jobs. What a knee wrencher, and wobbly! Anybody that hasn't tried 'em, I highly recommend 'em.

I know people are concerned about kicking out, but it really doesn't happen to me at almost 200 pounds, even with thicker barked conifers.

"What are you doing?!"

She screamed wide eyed and ghost faced at me while the chipper was running. "Oh shit" I thought, while I'm looking to see if some foreign matter is getting sucked through the chipper...

"Why are you cutting down trees?", now I'm thinking I'm at the wrong house/wrong lady.

I was there a month ago, taking down a lightening struck tree. She asked about clearing the front row of saplings along the edge, because her grass cutter said it would be nice to have more light there. So I wrote down on my little pad, "Clear front row of trees for grass from porch to back corner". Well, that's what I thought she wanted at least.

So I do about 30' this morning, solo. Nice cool morning, along the woods, pretty. Going super quick, milking it, even though it's priced below the minimum I try to go by. I'm thinking this is coming out nice, I see all the extra light already. She'll love it!

NOPE!

She wanted me to "trim" a few lower branches on each sapling along the property line. I certainty thought different, as I know that generally doesn't do jack shit for light penetration through the canopy.

So she's pretty heated, mad, sad, looks like she saw a ghost. We pick out the limbs on the remaining 20', I suggest to take out a couple because this is going to do nothing. But no, she loves the black knot infested choke cherry sapling poking out into the porch. Ok, whatever, I'll trim the rest of the branches like she wants. I apologize over and over for the misunderstanding, but she doesn't want to have it really.

So I finished, dump chips, hook up, ready to roll. She comes to the door all pissy, mopey, like I killed her cat or something.

She mumbles something about how I'm charging her to cut down the trees she didn't want cut. I'm pumping, as I hate to disappoint people, but yet I'm not good on getting my point across under pressure. Typically I get mouthy, (bad trait :|:), but I just said the bill was well under the minimum charge already, what would you like me to do?

She goes writes the check, brings it back with that feel sorry for me you suck face.

I guess I'm writing this because it does bother me. I can't remember the last time I sorta irked someone,this much about something really moot.

Deep down I want to cash the check, I spent some hours there this morning, almost three. She won't ever call me back anyways from the look on her face.

On the other token, being the generally nice, fair, honest guy, (re: last time moved all the logs for her further back into the woods so she didn't have to see them, No Charge) I'm not sure if I should just rip it up, and take it as a loss...

:|:

So now I'm bothered, headed out to move stump grindings for one of my favorite, and best customers.

"What are you doing?!"

She screamed wide eyed and ghost faced at me ...

She goes writes the check, brings it back with that feel sorry for me you suck face.

:lol:

I guess I'm writing this because it does bother me. ...

I'm not sure if I should just rip it up, and take it as a loss...

So now I'm bothered, ...

I'd be seriously bothered, too. :(

I helped a guy clear an acre last winter. He wanted me to drop all the big trees and he'd take care of the little ones - when he could. So, I asked him to mark all the ones I'd have to drop. Afterwards, I told all the trees he marked were down. He thought he was being funny when he said those were the ones he wanted to save.

I nearly puked. He laughed ... loud. :X

Mis-comunincation is a real bummer. I can feel your pain. If you decide to "rip it up", let her know. She'll be able to reconcile her check book. And, maybe it will turn things around so she'll know you're one of the good guys. But, I doubt it. I'd be tempted to take the loss - maybe. Because, it's partially her fault, too.
There isn't any right answer except, either way, don't let it get you down. :)

... just my 2¢

Back