How'd it go today?

Ha! The fluid was toast! Haven't rode it in a while, was contemplating a new bike. But I'll wait until spring. The oil had 4x the amount of hours it was supposed to have, it was all burnt up, felt like crap!

Reduced a large casuarina today and it busted my backside.

It got damaged in hurricane Fabian 9 yrs ago and had like 20' of regrowth from storm repaired cuts. Did the bottom half from the bucket but then had to climb into the 5 remaining leaders to finish, cutting back to the old reduction cuts. No high tie in, bad rope angles, pure hauling myself around the leaders, used spikes in the top section...it really, really doesn't matter on large casuarinas...
They'll get 5 yrs before it needs a less drastic maintenance thinning

I was a bit lightheaded and wobbly when I got down, took 20 mins to catch myself...sitting at the computer now with an icepack on my sore elbow...the tennis elbow brace I got from the hospital really works very well, just a bit sore in the tendons when I finish, ice settles it down, grip still ok.

BUSTED...

Actually got a bit done today .As well as playing with the Stihl blower I moved several more oak logs out of the woods to the tune of 4,000 pounds and 1,500 pounds respectfully .Did some work on a tiny mouse of a Stihl 024 and turned it into a lion hearted little beast in spite of it's small size . Oh yes and made a tiny little standing seam roof for a receptical I keep my scraplings of kindling in .---and just about drank all my beer up ,that just about sucks ---:cry:

Two small jobs yesterday and today. Both finished way, way under budget. Either we were working in awsome syncronicity or I over bid.

And even if we were awesome machines, those jobs were priced right.

Bought the guys an after action lunch and paid for thier time too. If we can keep this rythm it will be a fine fall.

Did a large lot clearing estimate for a client in town, old trees ,took 2hrs to write up the estimate. It's a go ahead.
Climbed and removed a large maple up against a house and a fancy picket fence. Ended the day at the lake to do a quick 10 minute job of felling a 110 ft spruce between a garage and powerlines. Left the whole tree on the ground for the customer to take care of, cash in my pocket.

Off for 2 weeks starting tomorrow, taking the family and camper out to the Rocky Mtns in Alberta to do a little sight seeing.

:thumbup: A well deserved rest :)
Thanks Stephen, yes a nice break but at the same time I'm just warming up .No aches and pains, the hot weather has receded, equipment is running great, lots of work lined up.
But the kids will be starting school when we get back so it's time to have a little fun with them before the hectic schedules that are coming up.

So annoyed about spraining my ankle that I forgot for a moment how blessed I am- I worked for the counterpoint of Brian's client today. I quote " You always amaze me that you can make an ugly old elm looks so good. You know what to cut and how to not make them grow crazy."

Good day today, took out some large hangers from two walnuts, and Dad td'd a good sized sycamore. Only bad thing was many of the limbs were dead brittle, making clean up a bitch. Seems like it took us longer to pick up the debris field then for Dad to take it down haha.

Good friend also had her baby today, the one we're getting the car for. Baby girl, 8lbs 2 ounces, everything went really smooth for her and all is well.

Cool Vest, brother! I'm telling ya!!!

Told a construction working friend about the CV. He had some term for not getting in the full 40/ week, or whatever the target goal is--Under-earning. He is the sole breadwinner in his house of wife and two kids, so when he quits early because of the heat, it comes out of his wallet.

It was 95-97 F here yesterday, and the same is expected today. Its our summer high temp, thankfully. We've been spared most of the summer, as a trade-off for our winter wetness.

A few hours here and a few hours there will add up to pay for the CV.

I know when I do private work in this heat, I tell my crew to 'say the word' when the heat starts to compromise safety. It time to wrap up for the day at that point. Cuts into the bottom line. If we had more hot weather, I'd buy a pair.

Same here. Brutally hot for around here, ran 6:00 to 2:00.

I can't take the heat to well.

My shoulder is on the mend, the muscles knot up like nobodys business though but it doesn't bother me while I'm working oddly enough, more in the evenings and at night.

My business has gone off the charts here lately. I landed a really big contract just yesterday and I'm already slammed. The contract is an annual thing doing maintenance/removals possibly evening some training of their own staff for dealing with smaller trees. The specs/budget are still to be hammered out so I don't want to get to overly excited but I've got a verbal from a man I trust that it's happening so I'm stoked.

I am at a point with my business now where I call the shots with the customer(not trying to sound like an ass but it's true) no point and hack or chipping or hedges or other undesirable work for me anymore. Strictly removals and proper pruning. It's a nice feeling to be at this point for now. Most of my competitors now throw me the big or hard jobs that they can't do and I throw them back the jobs I don't want to do.

Honestly I'm not ungrateful, if things slowed up I'd do whatever I had to to make ends meets but for now, I'm creaming the nice/big jobs and locking down the bigger clients around.

Good going Squish, it's great to read of the advantageous position that you are in. No doubt that your hard work paid off. Still, be careful!

I know, I re-read my post and feel cocky. Honestly I'm not like that, I'm a very thankful person.

I feel this last week that I'm just really focused and running with a vision of how I want my life/business to be and it's just happening for me.

I know life goes in cycles so I generally ride the highs for all they're worth!

I don't mistake exuberance for cocky. When things are like that and you feel this inertia happening as if it is from another power as well, there usually is a good reason for it.

Well thank-you sir.

I'm liking how busy I am for sure. My 'new' guy (2 years now) is a real asset to my business. I'm lucky to have him. I lined up a nice fir removal to do today as I often do for friday's, finished up early did some maintenance and putzing around the shop. He climbed that fir out in no time at all, it wasn't huge but a nice size. I try to make friday as enjoyable as possible.

It's tough on my ego sometimes, I've often I think on here talked down my climbing but on a straight up limb it top it and chunk it down affair I have no real doubts that I can hold my own. My man Graham though I must say has some serious skills, he can slay it, strong cutter.

We got a call early this morning that my mother-in-law had died. She had been pretty much comatose for around two years, nutrition through a tube. 92 years old. Before getting married to my fil, she was a school teacher. People of that generation are amazingly tough, their descendants will be the first ones to tell you so. Most have been through some pretty heavy stuff and can roll with the punches in an amazing way, even in a mindless state. You have to admire such tenacity. We didn't get along so hot, she always seemed to resent me a bit, and I pretty much ignored her as a result, unless I was needed, but I have a few good memories of her. We had lived with her for a number of years. Got to drag out the black suit and black tie now, fit the style for the proceedings coming up.

My condolences to you and your family Jay, espescially your wife I hope it's not hard on her. 92 is a good long time.

I've never liked funerals myself. You need to be there for your wife though and I have no doubts you will be.

Back