How'd it go today?

It shot across the street at an angle. Went a solid 45 yards and was still at second story height when it hit the building. It was FLYING.

It's amazing to see a piece get flung like that. We had one (5' long, prolly 5" diameter) flip up and stick through the second floor window of a house once. The foreman set the saw down, looked at the homeowner and said, "I was afraid of that!"

I've sent a piece or two flying before, nothing worth talking about. But this somoma beech shot like a missile out of a Navy vessel. I watched it in slow motion, which took a long time in my mind. Looked expensive as it twirled through the air.

I don't like flopping trunks on small wood chunks for just that reason. I'll lay out a couple decent size logs to keep the trunk out of the dirt for easy cutting, or I'll flop it on brush. I avoid anything missile sized in the kill zone.

just a few weeks ago i dropped a big heat out of a live oak and watched a thigh sized shard come flying back and over me into the neighbors yard. luckily the gardeners had gone by then and there was only landscaping in the area. always a a mix of thrilling and horror seeing wood fly like that.

I recall reading about a guy that ran over a bullet with his lawnmower, and proceeded to get shot in the leg. I mean sh@t happens.

That's highly unlikely. My a bullet is fired outside of a chamber, it typically bursts the case and launches the bullet a very short distance. When the case and bullet are in a chamber that fits the cartridge, the bullet is forced to fly the way it does.

Sorry Jay, I'm being contrary. That's not polite of me.

Once upon a time I dropped a topped out and limbed Doug fir spar onto an asphalt parking lot, padded with what I was sure was a foolproof set of five 6 to 8 foot lengths off another DF that I had dropped alongside the edge of the asphalt...when that spar hit the farthest out padding log, it snapped it in two pieces, both of which went spinning up into the air like a drum majorette's batons. One piece just skittered off and died about 20 feet away, but the other side proceeded to walk end over end a solid 75 feet down the lot and punched a hole in the T-111 siding of a small storage shed.

Like for you Chris, time indeed was in super slow motion as I watched the whole event from the stump.

Stuff happens...:)

More clearing and chipping along a driveway for me today. Got a bunch of shat done when I got home on my list.
Storm damage clean ups tomorrow ....

I had one I thought for sure was going to hit the house and after it cartwheeled in the air up over 20 feet high, it landed flat, short of the house and in between some parked cars. Friggen bull pine :P Piece was about 6 foot long by 6-8" round. Broke off the top of the spar when I flopped it.

I recall reading about a guy that ran over a bullet with his lawnmower, and proceeded to get shot in the leg. I mean sh@t happens.

That's highly unlikely. My a bullet is fired outside of a chamber, it typically bursts the case and launches the bullet a very short distance. When the case and bullet are in a chamber that fits the cartridge, the bullet is forced to fly the way it does.

I've heard of such instances as well, and though you're right about the dynamics of the cartridge, Chris, I wonder if the combination of the lawn mower blade AND the lessened charge power (due to being unrestrained) still renders enough velocity to penetrate flesh. I mean I've had rocks/pebbles/whatnot fly out and hit my legs and feel like it broke the skin. If the bullet were discharged from the case just right while being whirled around under the mower, the added energy sure wouldn't bode well for the guy pushing the mower!

I dropped an oak spar onto another oak stump, even though I left no stubs and cut the first stump ALAP, a branch union on the spar smashed into smithereens, and a big knotty chunk the size of a softball took off across the street, over the house opposite, and completely cleared their garden, landing in some waste ground the far side. Must have travelled 100 feet horizontally, and 50 feet vertically. That was a slo-mo moment for sure!

I push mow my yard most of the time, often in shorts, and sometimes barefoot. It can be exciting....

On the rider mower, I have, I sometimes run over a bone the dogs have left in the grass.
That'll wake me up for sure!

Got stung by several wasps today, had to use the high-reach to trim palms around the side of the hotel where my bucket couldn't go and swung into a wasp nest trying to get into position on a palm. At least three stings all within one or two square inches on the side of my back near the rib line. Swollen up like a baseball and it was about 3 hours from when I got stung until I got home and could take some antihistamine. I'm hoping it subsides before tomorrow.

Hope the reaction isn't extreme beyond what you already have. I definitely recommend an application of ice on the stung area, asap. It will help keep the swelling down. Carrying ice to the job during the wasp season is worth considering, one of the poison extractors as well.

That bums me out to hear that Brian. I hope you get some relief bro. Go take that mustang for a rip with your shirt off. That'll cool it down.

Damn, I got stopped by two cops once late at night on the freeway, near Santa Barbara, claimed I was weaving, but they were just snooping. it was in the winter and I didn't like their vibes at all, but after checking things out, one nitwit only told me to put on my shirt. :roll: I remember the incident because it was like three in the morning with no cars on the highway, I'm cruising unfettered along the coast to my mom's place, and suddenly they are right on my tail with the big bright light blowing my mind. A cheap shot....

Back