How'd it go today?

I've always enjoyed going into the touristy caves....but crawling around on your belly, throwing your pack in front of you so you can squeeze through a hole not really knowing what's on the other side.....NOT A CHANCE.

Good to hear, Mike. I'm sure you're glad it's over. It says alot, though, that you've already decided you'll do the other. I wonder if it will be easier or harder, knowing what you're up against.

Doorbell rang a little while ago. It was the 10-year old son of the recently divorced lady 2-doors down. He was visibly upset. Said his mom needed help. When I walk in the door she is kneeling over the toilet, sobbing, water running everywhere. I go back home, get the water meter key and shut off the water. Go back inside to check on her. She was trying to replace the cutoff valve (without the proper tools) without turning off the water. All she was doing was spinning the old valve round & round on the copper pipe. She didn't realize the valve needed to separate from the nut.

Got the valve replaced. Put on a new line from the valve to the toilet. Turned the water back on at the street. No runs, no drips, no errors. All is good. :D

I sort of feel like Andy now. :)

I had to do the cedar hedge from hell today...100' x 24'-30'tall and only an orchard ladder could reach it...no access with the bucket. Ah gots de sore shouders. Hedge trimmers and pole pruning, handsaw where I could reach. I don't think I qualified as work safe today :/:

Speaking of caves, I think theres a cave or two up the Skaha bluffs I need to find and explore this weekend!

Good deal, Dennis. You earned your 'attaboy' for today. :D

Hedges suck. I did a lot many years ago at the customer-requested 8'-10' high (which is idiotic) only to listen to them complain later that they were still too high. I finally got to the point where I refused to do any hedge reduction work unless it was to chest height or lower. If you want a 6'-8' hedge, cut it back to 4'-5' and let it fill in.
These days the Mexicans do all the hedge work. :dontknow:

Good to hear, Mike. I'm sure you're glad it's over. It says alot, though, that you've already decided you'll do the other. I wonder if it will be easier or harder, knowing what you're up against.

Much easier I think since I'll be rehabbing w/ 2 good knees. Boot camp was much worse than this adventure.

I sort of feel like Andy now. :)

Not that bad. Andy would have fixed the problem but not after a major pulled muscle, smashed fingers and a ruptured gas main in the street.

Just Kidding Andy! Where you at brotha?

I spent the day building an "island " cabinet which will be completed today .Let me tell you handling an 8 foot piece of oak plywood through a table saw is a beech for one person .

I had to cut some 5'x10' 3/4" birch ply this past winter. That sucks big time by yourself, with no outfeeds and a lot of junk in the shop.

Plywood dust sucks. Not sure what is in there, but it sure messes up the nose and sinuses. A sticky kind of dust. Solid wood much mo better, except for a few species.

Normal plywood dust is very nasty, coarse. That furniture grade birch was not only irritating, but smelled like burning bacon when I cut it. I don't like to think about the chemicals ingested when working with manufactured wood products.

I seem to recall formaldehyde as an ingredient in plywood. I used some lumber core plywood recently, it was just as bad if not worse.

Some people build with plywood all day long everyday. You would think they could come up with a less irritating material.

A friend of mine knew a guy who made a table out of I believe spalted maple. He spent a good while sanding it without a mask. Now like a year or so later he is almost dead as his lungs are destroyed by the mold he breathed in, scary shit.....

Rained today...what'd I do.

Went in and out of the garage this morning, looking for something to do. Figured I'd mess around with the timber framing stuff. Did that for a bit, needed a break. Went to the welding shop to get my tank filled, I'm thinking of building a small frame to mount the push behind leaf blower on the front of the Thomas. Lazy leaf blower, yep. Went back in the garage, did some more timber framing stuff, then here I am.

Oh ya, I stopped at Vermeer to pick up my sharpened blades. They mentioned something about Woodsman going belly up, thought that was interesting. He mentioned Mayer Tree too, said they just bought a Vermeer 2100?, and how they hate the Woodsman. I dunno, I was under the impression they loved them up there.

Who knows. That'll mean I have two machines where the manufacturer went belly up.:|:

Ordered the bearings for my Carlton stump grinder. Spent most of the day running my Dad around while he is trying to figure out what to do with his car. Good job Dennis.

Slayed poison oak all day. HO gave us about 5 acres to do over time. We already have worked some of the other side of the property in the past.. She just wants this 5 acre section opened up under her driveway. Rob made a good point as he was pulling it out of a 45 foot tall live oak that was near dead. He said we were saving trees. Kinda figured that was a good way to look at it.
Bon fire tomorrow for Mariposa and the kids super bowl. So we will be trucking loads of pine to down town all day tomorrow. :)

Back