How'd it go today?

Yeah, but even the expensive ones get nasty after 10-12 years.

I bought a cheap faucet on sale for $79 about 11 years ago when I replaced the cabinets in my kitchen. About 3 months ago I replaced it again for about $120 because the finish was deteriorating and it wouldn't clean up and shine any more. The way I figure it I can replace it twice more over the next 22 years before I've spent as much as Al did for one faucet. Mold will grow in the expensive ones exactly like it does in the cheap ones.

It wasn't a mold problem ,more so deposites left by hard water .Evidently Kohler made a boo boo when they designed the thing as it wouldn't do exactly what they thought it would .Nice though for them to throw in the replacement as a freebee .Then again considering the original price it has been more than paid for in advance .

Really though that's just some of the problems you run into living in the boondocks with a well verses on a municipal water system .On the other hand city dwellers can't step out the back door to mark their territory,I can .One of lifes simple pleasures .

Had to run a new electric fence over on the property that we lease for our cattle right now. I think I've complained here about the sink holes before. I forgot to bring the GPS with me, so I was driving very slowly and sure 'nuf, almost ran right into one. I'm thinking it's the one that swallowed my right front truck tire last year. Since I planned on being there most of the day, I brought my camera.

This is what I saw as I came up to it, without the warning arrow:
sinkhole_ahead_labeled_sm.jpg

This is what I luckily saw before I went IN it....again:
sinkhole_sm.jpg

I marked the 99th hole on the GPS last week. I no longer covet this property.

So Ms. Che evidently it's either sitting over loose gravel,sand or a whole bunch of broken down tiles to wash out like that . However that danged quicksand which is nothing more than sand in an aquafer came sneak up on you .Solid as a rock then all the sudden it swallows everything in sight . The holes look like good leg breakers for the cattle not to mention equipment and fence installers .

I ran into something like that in NE SK. Shallow water table and subterranean erosion. We were building a new fence for a guy with a post pounder. Started the post, hit it twice and it disappeared. Kinda makes you feel insecure!!!!

I think we have softer water, Carl.

More than likely that's it .You have to remember a majority of western Ohio and eastern Indiana sits atop a deep limestone base .On occasion they hit fairly soft mineral free water but that's a rarity . On this stuff if you don't run a softener within about three years your valves will calcify to the point they become immovable .Washer type faucets eat up sealing washers .Water heaters might last 5 years if you are lucky .Sooo everyone with an ounce of brains has a softener .

We have sinkholes all over around here as well. We also have a lot of limestone caves. We have the fourth longest cave in the state on our farm.

Kohler replaced our shower set after 20 years for free. Instead of all metal the replacements are all plastic. Awesome. :|:

We have a couple light bulbs original, as old as me too.

Worked on the ground at a job where a guy was removing the tops on an endless amount of large conifers with a crane. Nine hours of removing limbs, and getting some assemblage of organization before the next one came floating in. Some good practice with a mini. I went to bed at 7:30. :|:

I'm skeptical, but I'll take your word for it.:P

One of my competitors today told a guy 3hr minimum to come out with a bucket truck and run a extension cord back up to the top of this guys tree to plug the lights in, because they were originally installed backwards by this same company a couple of years ago and the cord came unplugged this summer. $450 to plug in an extension cord? Brutal.

This same company cruised by my job today, they had been called about it. Never viewed it or quoted it and never phoned the people back either. Customer was in the yard and saw them and told me this.

I just sit back and laugh!

My bud used to paint HUD apartments between tenants. Putting in new light bulbs also. He gave me a couple bulbs and I put one in the outside light that is right by my front door. People slam the door all the time and the bulb usually blows in no time. That bulb lasted for years. I tried to read the brand but no luck. After it blew out I tried rough service bulbs and anything else that said heavy duty. They last a week or two.

I put my new greenteeth on my stumpgrinder yesterday and when I finished I decided to remove the cover over the flat belt to see if it had dirt inside of it. When I depressed the belt the shaft moved. Crap, needs bearings, I removed the shaft and pulled the bearings off and am waiting on a quote for new bearings from my local machine shop. It looks like a pillow block bearing but is the extra wide ones with the double roller bearings inside. I took the day off today to visit my daughter in Petaluma.

Not to make a big deal out of lightbulbs but if you want a long lasting one ,use what's called a sign bulb .These things are an odd wattage but have extremely thick glass on them,a well supported filiment and rated at 130 volts .There were used on marquee type signs as well as other outdoor installations .The average service bulb is rated for 750 hours but these are in the thousands of hours rating .

Lawdy I remember back in the day before computer generated marquee signs changing bulbs on those oldies .It would literally take a day and over a pick up truck full of bulbs .Out of several thousand there might be less than half a dozen that didn't work but you changed them all as a PM type thing .

Back