How'd it go today?

that would be the country to the north of you, the slightly larger country to the north of you ;)
1. Russia: 17,075,200 km2 (6,591,027 mi2)

2. Canada: 9,984,670 km2 (3,854,082 mi2)

3. United States: 9,631,418 km2 (3,717,727 mi2)

4. China: 9,596,960 km2 (3,704,426 mi2)

5. Brazil: 8,511,965 km2 (3,285,618 mi2)

6. Australia: 7,686,850 km2 (2,967,124 mi2)

7. India: 3,287,590 km2 (1,269,009 mi2)

8. Argentina: 2,766,890 km2 (1,068,019 mi2)

9. Kazakhstan: 2,717,300 km2 (1,048,877 mi2)

10. Sudan: 2,505,810 km2 (967,243 mi2)

thanks for the kudos Deva.. I must admit until I heard your latest vid I thought it was Diva :)

That's okay Paul, I get that all the time.

Way to hold fast to professional tree care ideals and get what's best for the tree.

I have an aunt in Canada, She calls where she lives the Caribou.

I had a different kind of day today, pole climbing, had to cut down two old electric poles that were replaced with a new updated underground system for a trailor park that has us do all their tree work. Cutting the poles was nothing really but they stilll had alot of the electric hardware attached to them like wires that I needed a cable cutter to cut them free, meter boxes, weatherheads, plastic conduit, plus all the fastners that had to be pried loose, that was some stubborn ornery stuff too. I have fooled around with house wiring, that is kid stuff compared to the electric hardware that feeds a house. I have a new found respect for those old linemen that had to work on those poles and install this heavy hardware, it wore me out trying to take all this apart I would hate to work on a pole using spurs trying to install this electric hardware, tree climbing is much easier to me. I was super cautious today too because a slip on those poles from the spurs not grabbing would have tore me up with all the harware sticking out the way it was.

After the pole job we got in a little early today , my neighbor comes knocking on my door, darn fool got off his gravel lane and into our corn field. Why and for what reason I have no clue, probaly to avoid his big pothole in his lane, but he was stuck good in the mud with his front wheel drive car. It was 70 degrees here today, the frost has just gotten out of the ground plus the snow melt and that field is super soft. We had to pull him out with our bucket truck and because he couldn't afford to have a tow truck winch him out. What pisses me off more is now we have some deep ruts in the field that are going to be needing repaired and he isn't going to do it, good old Ax is going to get that job, because where he went off the road is close to our big but totally worthless log pile that gets burned maybe twice a year. When I need to get in their those damn ruts are going to be hell on a suspension when it dries out, or hold water longer than it should after we have a rain.

You can always tell when the first warm days of early spring hit, all the nuts come out of the woodwork. Oh well such is life.

That's okay Paul, I get that all the time.

Way to hold fast to professional tree care ideals and get what's best for the tree.

I have an aunt in Canada, She calls where she lives the Caribou.

very cool, I have been camping and cabinning in that area for years! Any chance of a town or lake name? I used to go to Bridge lake, nicola lake, Loon lake (the most often).

Ax-Man, Larry I'd be telling that neighbor he'd better be coming through with some beers or next time he's on his own, sounds like the fool would probably have made a bigger mess trying to get out if ya hadn't helped him though. Oh well sometimes it's on those that can to help those that can't.

Deva, I have been to hundred mile a few times, even got my haircut there at a barber after 4 days in the woods. nice country amigo. come on back ! :)

Well Monday I rented a Vermeer BC1000XL chipper and proceeded to spend the better part 10 hours in my spurs to make the most the rental. At the end of the day I felt 40, perhaps older. The guys I had working for me were all ex college wrestlers and they did a great job loading wood on my truck.

Today we finished the job in the morning. I loaded a few token rounds and then did paperwork. I feel guilty not doing the dirty work but I have two disks who are growing fonder of each other as time goes bye. Soon they'll embrace one another and I don't want to know what that will be like.

We have a new tree guy in town, Frank from New York, who is waiting for his gear to be sent from back east. He introduced himself at one of my job sites and wants me to climb for him here and there. The money is alright and I am not opposed to doing side work. I am worried that I make a lot of sketchy pick-up truck tree guys look a lot more professional than they are. I did forty minutes of work for $120 today and I think he would have paid me more if I wasn't so dead set on selling myself cheap. Next time I'll try my "What do you think is fair?" bit.

I think I like side work because it is no clean-up and no hauling.

Darin, are you getting enough work to say no to the import work? it just seems that they are building their business on your skills man.

I just don't like to say 'no' to work. I think the slow winter has made me want to keep every door open. Plus I seem to attract characters, shady ones, crazy ones, slovenly overweight gun-toting ones, etc. Heck if you lived closer I'd climb for you.

I don't know if that cherry tree was any taller you would gotten nose bleeds. You need another good contract tree climber.

We have a new tree guy in town, Frank from New York, who is waiting for his gear to be sent from back east. He introduced himself at one of my job sites and wants me to climb for him here and there. The money is alright and I am not opposed to doing side work. I am worried that I make a lot of sketchy pick-up truck tree guys look a lot more professional than they are. I did forty minutes of work for $120 today and I think he would have paid me more if I wasn't so dead set on selling myself cheap. Next time I'll try my "What do you think is fair?" bit.

I think I like side work because it is no clean-up and no hauling.

Darin, WTF is wrong with you? Being cordial is one thing, but helping the "new competitior" in town getting his (or what should have been your) work done?

Am I right in thinking you are self employed? No other job?

Think of the big picture.

Darin, WTF is wrong with you? Being cordial is one thing, but helping the "new competitior" in town getting his (or what should have been your) work done?

Am I right in thinking you are self employed? No other job?

Think of the big picture.

Darin suffers from an acute and terminal case of 'nice guyness'.
I suffer from an opposing malady that would make me slash my new competitions tyres, pee in his gas tank, set fire to his shoes, fell the tree he was busy climbing, etc etc etc.:D

You got to blow the chips on the embankment, No Biv ? Always nice not to have to drag & dump it.

You got to blow the chips on the embankment, No Biv ? Always nice not to have to drag & dump it.

Crappy little chip job, easy money though. The best part is I had a great job 5k or so, got whittled down to 1k. Went to do it after the chip job, and the MR and Mrs got into a arguement of why this tree and not that tree shat. Set a rope into a LOcust, and it flexed at the ground. I told them they would have to take the fence down so I could fell it, they continued to argue, so I bailed. I go back after they work it out.

Twas a dusty mofo!
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V3-e_ybmZ04"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V3-e_ybmZ04" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I did a small-medium oak removal for a neighbor today (lil hottie real estate agent, 30ish, Puerto Rican, 5' nuthin, 110 lbs of T & A). She was supposed to watch so I brought my camera along but she never came outside the whole time I was there. :cry:

Anyway, 60' laurel oak next to the fence between two houses and dirtying two swimming pools. My help didn't show so I did it all myself. Had it on the ground and cut up with all the firewood loaded in the trailer by 11. Took it to a bbq place where I can dump it for free as long as it's all cut. Back and loaded the brush in the trailer and was on the way to the dump by 1:15. Got back and loaded the 3 big pieces of trunk in the trailer using the winch on the bucket truck (24" diameter X 5'-6' long). Did the final rakeup, etc and by the time I got back from the last dump run it was 4:30. Once again proving to myself that I'm happier subbing becauase I don't want to make my living driving back and forth to the dump every afternoon. I still did fine dollar-wise, but I do much better by just running my bucket and leaving the cleanup to those better suited for that work.

Sorry but no pictures today. I was so disappointed that my hottie customer never came outside that I lost interest in taking pictures of a tree. :( Maybe next time.

Back