How'd it go today?

John told me about a one day 15% off Echo sale at a local dealer. I finally picked up a 2511T. Lovely little saw.

I was running it around the house and it attracted 2 neighbors. I saw one of them coming slowly around the side of his pole building, following the noise 🤣.

Running motors or tools generally attract most men’s attention.
You box that back up and send it to Nutball before you get it all dirty.

I’ll give you the box! They offered to assemble it and gas/oil it up but I refused. I’d do it faster as well as see how it’s made. They said they usually don’t send one out in a box.

Is there a needle bearing on its outboard clutch? Looks to be.
They do.
You box that back up and send it to Nutball before you get it all dirty.
Too late, I know where his hands have been. Probably deep in someone's toilet.

I wouldn't use 3rd party av of any kind. Windows defender, ublock origin on firefox, and common sense is as good as it gets.

They do.

Too late, I know where his hands have been. Probably deep in someone's toilet.
That’s what gloves and hand sanitizer/soap is for ;) I can’t believe our 11 year old son won’t touch dirty dishes without gloves. He says it’s disgusting. Daddy plumbs and mommy is a nurse and our boy is afraid of 6 hr old cereal and milk sitting in the sink 🤷‍♂️

I’d imaging that needle bearing would get a shot of grease whenever I open the clutch cover like on my Husqys?

That’s what gloves and hand sanitizer/soap is for ;) I can’t believe our 11 year old son won’t touch dirty dishes without gloves. He says it’s disgusting. Daddy plumbs and mommy is a nurse and our boy is afraid of 6 hr old cereal and milk sitting in the sink 🤷‍♂️

I’d imaging that needle bearing would get a shot of grease whenever I open the clutch cover like on my Husqys?
I might give it an occasional tiny drop of oil, whether bar oil or 2 stroke oil. You don't want any oil to get to the clutch shoes, so very little is needed. Grease dries out and attracts dirt that just sticks in there.

I might give it an occasional tiny drop of oil, whether bar oil or 2 stroke oil. You don't want any oil to get to the clutch shoes, so very little is needed. Grease dries out and attracts dirt that just sticks in there.
A toothpick is my favorite applicator for tiny drops right where I want them whether it's oil or superglue. But, you have to take the clutch off on the 2511, now way for a toothpick to reach around the clutch washer.

Boss texted me last night and said he was working in the office today, but a neighbor wanted a tree felled. I thought I knew which tree it was, and figured it would be an hour tops, so I went in at 10. I was debating bringing my climbing gear, but I figured I could get into something else when the fell was done.

That was a good call. The tree the guy wanted down wasn't what I thought it was, and had to be pieced out. It couldn't come down whole, but I was cutting big. First time in spurs in a good while. Everything went pretty well. I spent about 6hr out there, and it isn't done done, but I think I did more than the guy expected. He was at work, and I never saw him. I can go back to cleanup if he wants.

I didn't think of pics. I only got a shot of the bare spar. Shitty old red maple. Half was crusty dead, and half was alive...

IMG_20240322_160758720.jpg

No, but I have new motivation to get the 42cc poulan working again. I had Old Smoky out yesterday, and it's really pissing me off. It's such a hassle to run. I want to swap it with the poulan for the back of the truck.

Was in the right place and right time for a couple of nice scores this week. A friend is getting ready to tear his house down and he gave me a case (120) of 75w incandescent bulbs. He's throwing out as much accumulated stuff from 40 years as he can.

I've been hoping to find at least one more 330 gallon tank for my house, and maybe one for the sawmill. Another friend tore down a house last week and scored two fairly new 330s, which he is going to give me. He's keeping the 400 gallons of oil that was in them, however. My plan is to go into the winter with as much oil as I need to get through the winter, and to have plenty of fuel at the mill so I'm never out of work for that reason. I've made the decision to not attempt repairing, replacing, or building any manner of outdoor wood boiler.

There is so much stuff being thrown away around here it's crazy. I think if you had a big barn, you could probably start an architectural salvage business just by networking with all the builders around here. The house with the tanks was purchased for the view for $1.2 million and they tried to salvage the modular boxes, but I heard they got rained on and all the sheetrock and insulation was ruined.:twak:

he gave me a case (120) of 75w incandescent bulbs
Nice. I like incandescent. Good for heat too in a cold garage. I got some 300W bulbs around for when I need extra light and heat when porting saws in the winter. I don't think I've run 2 in one socket yet, but I have the socket splitters/doublers.

Boss texted me last night and said he was working in the office today, but a neighbor wanted a tree felled. I thought I knew which tree it was, and figured it would be an hour tops, so I went in at 10. I was debating bringing my climbing gear, but I figured I could get into something else when the fell was done.

That was a good call. The tree the guy wanted down wasn't what I thought it was, and had to be pieced out. It couldn't come down whole, but I was cutting big. First time in spurs in a good while. Everything went pretty well. I spent about 6hr out there, and it isn't done done, but I think I did more than the guy expected. He was at work, and I never saw him. I can go back to cleanup if he wants.

I didn't think of pics. I only got a shot of the bare spar. Shitty old red maple. Half was crusty dead, and half was alive...

View attachment 137300

355t? 271t?

355t? 271t?
355t. 362cm for larger branches(on the ground), and the 661cm for the trunk. The 355 is underperforming. I need to back off the high screw a bit, and the chain's still too grabby. I took the rakers down too far, and it's made it a hassle to use. I did the same to my 2511, but that one was worse, and it never did correct. I think the 355 will be better after another sharpening or two. I altered my raker routine, and it bit me in the ass. If it ain't broke, fix it til it is, right? :^D

Yea, that stock chain was terrible. I use Stihl pm on all my small saws aside from a bit of Carlton I bought to try(I like it a lot, but not as much as Stihl).

I'm getting ready to buy an NK b&c for my 2511. Two reasons; I'm hoping for a performance upgrade while keeping my preferred pitch, and I want to test out the Carlton chain in that configuration for possible use on my ms170. If I like the chain, I can get a 25' or 50' reel to spin my own chains as-needed. I can live without Stihl chain on the 170. It's basically a house saw for quick small cuts around the yard.

I've read it makes a lot of ash. More directly, saw fumes have been increasingly bothering me the last year or two. The brushcutter in the woods is particularly bad. The fumes seem to hang, and burn the hell out of my eyes. I hope the RedArmor's better. I have a gallon of it, so I'll be using it for awhile :^D Also, RedArmor meets a higher spec. Stihl oil technically violates echo's warranty.
Initial thoughts on the RedArmor... It seems to be easier on my eyes than the Stihl oil, but a good session with the brushcutter would really tell me. I started my 362 yesterday with mostly Stihl oil and a small top off of RedArmor. My eyes burned a bit going through that tank, but on refill, it seemed to be better. The RedArmor kinda stinks in the bottle. Smells like dead fish or something. Weird smell I never noticed in other brands. Doesn't smell bad burning, but again, the brushcutter would really tell.

Japan is an island, so they might use a lot of fish oil in their oils, and even the rubber on their new saws smells fishy.

2511t needs a less aggressive chain if anything. From the start you can hold the file higher in the tooth to make the tooth scratch more than dig in.

It's probably an issue with the light weight of the saw, and the natural resonance frequency of the whole thing as partly determined by the stiffness of the springs. It might be better if they had used rubber buffers. Low rpm form it's low power output don't help, but changing chain pitch changes the vibration frequency, I don't have a lot of confidence in the .325 pitch, but I've never tried it. What they need to do is make a 1/4" pitch with a tooth size between what's found on Stihl .043 and regular .050, without safety bumpers, and without a small radius nose bar.

Back