How'd it go today?

Amazing how ascending tecniques have changed since then, isn't it.
That was 2009.

So have our hair color, come to think of it :lol:

Thanks for posting those, Stephen..................good memories.

I still can't throw for shit.
That was my one lucky hit.
I've told that story to countless apprentices.

Stephen was trying to hit a small croth high up in that oak, with no luck whatsoever.
After countless tries, he asked me to take a shot at it.
I demurred, saying truthfully that after getting a big shot, I lost the ability to hand throw.

So he tried a few more times and eventually pressed me to take over.
Imagine the look I got from him, when I hit it in my first try :lol:

Some days it seems like you can't miss while others, you're lucky if you get the weight back in the cube on the first shot
or when you pull the bigshot down too far and send the whole cube up the tree...

with the other throwline in the bottom of the cube

I felt pretty good about the test. Won’t know for a week or two how I did.
Left there and hooked up to the camper. Been enjoying the “farm”. It was supposed to rain all day but barely got anything. Storms possible tonight and tomorrow but it keeps dissipating. Hoping for nice weather tomorrow. I’ve got the kayaks and need to get them in the water. If it does rain all day we will probably teach these kids how to play euchre

or when you pull the bigshot down too far and send the whole cube up the tree...

with the other throwline in the bottom of the cube
I always keep a 16oz weight on the other end of the throw line. It hasn’t produced a cube “lift off” even with 130psi in the APTA. It should work the same with the Bigshot. Just a little tidbit.

Younger couple we know; her mother died; looking for a contractor to redo the kitchen and bathroom in her condo to prep it for sale. Condo is in New Port Ritchie.
Anyone know of a reputable contractor in that area?
Mellow?

Spent yesterday doing fuel hazard assessment training.
Today, fitness test for remote area firefighter, then later a callout for backyard burn; all kinds of rubbish, tyres mattress, wire, fibreglass, had to be put out, then pick up and bring home and stack a tonne of firewood.
Bushed.

I always keep a 16oz weight on the other end of the throw line. It hasn’t produced a cube “lift off” even with 130psi in the APTA. It should work the same with the Bigshot. Just a little tidbit.
id have to check, but if I remember, I have a 12 on my line, other end tied to the cube, also in the cube is 2 or 3 more 12's and an extra 200ft of line
its a good anchor, but when I first started using a large weaver throwline mug I had to go get it more times than I care to count

Younger couple we know; her mother died; looking for a contractor to redo the kitchen and bathroom in her condo to prep it for sale. Condo is in New Port Ritchie.
Anyone know of a reputable contractor in that area?
Mellow?
I know New Port Ritchie well. Spent 7 years around and in that area. Sorry I don’t know much in the way of reputable contractors though.

So with all that is going on in my life, I have decided to semi retire. Filed for my SS bennies early and carry on..
I'll be scheduling more jobs for others as well. Little things they can do and I am not needed on as the tree man.
One kiddo left at home needs more of my time. So I will be slating some time off for her.
My dad is still in a nursing home after his injury recently and almost died. He is 90 and I really need to be more available to him and my mom.
I can't really afford to take much of a financial hit right now as I do need to finish paying off certain loans and the mortgage to fully enjoy retirement.
Has not been possible with all the equipment issues we have had right after COVID. The supply chain issues were part of that problem. I am still waiting on one engine for my 1 ton that I sent out in October of last year. Goes on and on.
Katy is working more full time now, she will have to "man up" a little with finances while I take over more of the homeschooling with Lilly.
I can't really change my schedule the way I want until school starts. Then I will be down to 3-4 days a week cherry picking the jobs.
I never really want to stop working. I get bored too easy. But I got plenty to do while the kids finish growing up.
Levi is moving out. Both him and Seth are in Florida right now. Levi will be coming back to CA to start up school again in Fresno. SO just us 3 here now with the critters.
Need to focus on my physical and mental well being along with Lilly's and her education, which is also good for my mind.
So, just an update. If I seem a little grumpier over the course of a few months, you all will know why.

It's about that time. Hope everything works out so life's a little easier for you. Might be a nice work/mental load that'll make up for the possibly reduced income.

Back