How'd it go today?

The best style of martial arts are ALL of them.
Agreed -- the cross-disciplined ones are the most successful in MMA - Wanderlei Silva ruled PRIDE for years with a mix of aggressive Muay Thai and BJJ. That seems to be the best mix for limited 2-disciplines. But being trained in 3-4 styles is optimal, to know the opponent's tactics and defend against them in a combat situation. Lyoto Machida has been one of the few in the karate disciplines to achieve any success in MMA, but he too has BJJ experience.

If I had to pick ONE discipline, it would be Kung Fu. Ju Jitsu would be my second choice.

I will agree, Butch. I'm no expert. But I am modestly competent :). Keeps the heebee jeebees at bay, having some small skill.

Rich, or Stig, or many others, would eat my lunch. But some run of the mill thug?? Not so much.

Non-firearm weapons are awesome and quite effective until you encounter a firearm-wielding assailant.

Funny the conversation turned to this topic. I've been binge-watching the Kung Fu series on Amazon Prime for the last couple weeks. Only a couple episodes left. Kwai Chang Caine was the master at disarming armed assailants with his bare hands.

Funny the conversation turned to this topic. I've been binge-watching the Kung Fu series on Amazon Prime for the last couple weeks. Only a couple episodes left. Kwai Chang Caine was the master at disarming armed assailants with his bare hands.

Cool to hear that is "out there"...I have Prime...I'll track it down. I want my grandsons to see that. They are getting real interested in MA.

Went out and bought a few loads of straw to use for bedding for the horses.

Sticking bales up really made me realize that my left arm isn't quite in order yet.

I think the first couple of weeks when we do 12 hour days of summer logging is going to be pretty hard on this old guy.

My wife wanted me to pose, so she could show her sisters in Schweiz, what a handsome viking she has bagged.

I'll let you enjoy the picture, too:lol:

P1060226.JPG P1060227.JPG

I'm about ready to take a serious look at a carbide chain. 6" into a 40" oak stump and the saw's already dull :banghead: and I just sharpened the 36" chain. I hate stump cuts. It's just hard to justify a $400 chain that may cut slow too. I'd rather let the saw slowly cut its way through than force it through every inch.

A few jobs today -- nothing really worth sharing pics.
1). Safety pruning of Bradford pear limbs over a house roof and a general lightening prune. Also, one broken limb on a silver maple, one broken limb from a locust.
2). Remove a medium American elm tree that was dying back. We've already worked for them, removing 2 other American elms and a red bud. So now they wanted the last one out and stump grinding.
3). Next door neighbor had seen us working last time and wanted pruning work done and a couple of small elms and mulberries out. So I did the power pruner work out front on 2 ashes and a maple, raising the crowns while the climber worked the side, piecing out the removals and doing pruning on some more elms, then we dropped the 3 small trees.
4). The other neighbor on the other side wasn't home, but obviously had a dead elm on his property, as well as a tiny dead plum. We got a hold of him through the first neighbor by phone, and he agreed to have us drop the elm, as well as a cedar by his deck.

Hot day, but at least we were mostly in the shade since it was pruning work and smaller removals.
Dumped chips about 15 miles out of town for a farmer that wants them enough to pay a $50 delivery fee.

Back