How'd it go today?

There are three ways that branding happen here Justin.

The way we do it now is to bring the pairs in and sort off the cows. The calves are then brought out in small bunches into a pen right next to the table.

A small alley way leads to a calf table. The table catches the calf, you flip it over, brand, castrate, and vaccinate. Then you flip it back up and release the calf.

We purchased a nicer table several years ago so Jenn and I could do the work ourselves.

Previous to that we used to do much the same, but would use two or three sets of wrestlers instead of the calf table. Just grab em by the back leg and flip em.

The table replaces three or 4 helpers.

Of course the other way is using horses to rope and drag them.

A variant on that is dragging them to Nordforks.

A Nordfork is a metal collar that you slip over the calf's neck as the roper drags it by. A length of rope is attached to the Nordfork, then to an innertube and then to a dead man.

The inner tube help to keep the tension down on the calf.

Folks use Nordforks when they cant find wrestlers.....which is common. Its stressful on the calves though.

A fellow wants me to come to his cow camp for a couple days to brand. Gather the first day, brand the next.

Pack in all our supplies. Should be fun!

We got off lightly, I was out pricing and a nearby village was devastated, roofs smashed windscreens shattered, people wandering around in shock, looked like the area had been liberated by the US army!:)

:lol: nice one Butch.

So. . . FML. Just settling in tonight when one of the employees calls me on the radio. "Um. . . can you come over to the store."

It was Dan, and Dan doesn't call me for stupid shit, so I knew it wasn't going to be good. . .

One of the seasonal employees went to move a mini-van at the end of her shift. Some kind of panic ensued with the shifter and the arrangement of the pedals, and she basically ran the god damn thing through the wall of our store.

Looks like the tumblers, coasters and napkins will be in limited supply this year. . . oh, and syrup, syrup bottles exploded.

Three hours later I had it in passable shape. Had to get bottle jacks under it and lift the whole building about 3 inches before I could 5:1 the logs back into place. Now, tomorrow, instead of enjoying a day off I get to figure out if we're going to fire this poor girl. F.M.L.

I want to go live in a van down by the river and just cut trees. . . I'm holding that in reserve. lol

Everything actually went back together pretty well once I got some time alone with it.

That is a lot of damage, I'd have a hard time looking past that to continue employment. I was just reading in the local news about a truck ramming through a storefront last night. A driver with their learners permit and the father trying to say it must've been a mechanical failure.

Accidents do happen but man oh man.

That sucks on the store and the hail.

A bumper log might a consideration...once burned, twice shy. A building will maybe take one hit much better than a second.

Spent the day at a family friend's orchard & farm. They have about 300 acres, a 40 acre orchard, animals, and 5 ponds. Helped them out in their new metal building (for food processing), did some cleanup, insulating, and sheetrocking. Had a nice picnic lunch with the family, went to the pond for a bit. Pretty low key day, overall. Back to the trees tomorrow!

We used to have a couple of farm girls here - Che and Kate. Too bad they stopped visiting...

Nice looking place!

Good luck Jim!

Took the little girl to a dentist in Hamilton, for an inspection, her teeth are bad from being a micro preemie. All is good.

Chipper has been good to me, got a tune up, oil change and a new bigger blankie.

Severe thunderstorms are in the forecast. I'm behind only one cleanup from the last 2 storms.

20180705_164338.jpg

the guy who runs the company that leases the buildings next to my property stopped by this morning to make sure I knew his co. didn't drive a truck through my treeline for a birthday present this morning...

:lol: He witnessed the past "snow wars" I had with the former occupants and wanted to make it clear it wasn't his guys who did it.

Talked to the guy who runs the shop who's driver did it...nice enough guy...said they'd make it right (through the driver)

$1,200 replacement estimate for Eight: six foot min. ht. trees (a bit short but I can live with it and that's pretty much what's available right now).

I sicked the cops on finding the driver just in case of a reluctance to compensate.

Happy birthday to me...:|:

Attachments

• 2018-07-04 22.39.17.jpg
    2018-07-04 22.39.17.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 2018-07-04 22.39.52.jpg
    2018-07-04 22.39.52.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 2018-07-04 22.39.27.jpg
    2018-07-04 22.39.27.jpg
    418.7 KB · Views: 29
I saved someone's life yesterday using the Heimlich Maneuver to dislodge a stuck bit of grilled beef. I'm glad I remembered how to do it and doubly glad that it worked.

Saving someone's life. That's got to be good for the karma bank.

Geez Dave, a little bit of cabling and bracing and those shrubberies should be fine. :hammer:

Good to know that it actually works, I've only seen it done in movies and cpr class. Was held up getting to work this am, apparently a minivan with 6 kids, no seatbelts, rolled on the interstate. No life threatening injuries somehow (i asked lol), complete miracle no one died!

Did my annual summer breakdown yesterday. Woke up at two am not remembering much past getting home. Pouring sweat and ten minutes later shivering. Also this was not alcohol induced. Spent the entire day drinking water and sleeping. Felt great this morning. Dehydration must build through out the week and I didn’t really get a break at all for the past one. Had a great day today though. Thunderstorm kept me from getting my plywood stacked and covered before it came. I’ll scatter it back out in the drive next week once I get home and dry it again.

Back