How'd it go today?

Feeling decent tonight. I put a good bit of bar tab on the company since it was out Christmas party. Not as much as others but I can?t just show up tomorrow. I have to perform. Large oak that lost its top but has a 30? x 18? diameter hanger left. Hanger is resting on a lower branch and there is a severe crack running down to said branch. Not the worst to deal with but not a job to have a pounding head on. Bitch of it is I really need an easy peasey job to demo something. I?ll be doing some more low and slow tomorrow night I guess.starts with an A and ends with an O. ;)

Rich, as a reminder, since it was a night out elbow bending, watch for additional storm damage in additional/ unexpected places.

I thought I saw a bomber rigging point in a big ass maple on the North side, allowing me to rig over a fence directly on the North side the trunk. The tree was being removed because the South side split off. I would have remotely set a rope well out on the North side of the crown, allowing me to swing big leads from the NW, overhanging the church, swinging clockwise to the open drop zone, crash landing, no need to rig small enough to fully hold/suspend the load.

As the progressed, I talked to a church person. 5 months earlier they replaced their a/c, as a big top off of the maple went NNE and smashed the a/c unit. Unseen to me, for a while, but luckily discovered before rigging, that failed top cracked the trunk I would have been rigging heavy on. More moss here to obscure the view, I imagine. Beverages can add 'moss'to the eyes, the next day. Work safe, and expect the guys' judgment might be really Mossy tomorrow. ��

Strange to have a Christmas party at a Tree Wrecking Co on a 'work night'.

What's the A____O?

I’m overly alert this morning. I’ve been getting up and drinking at least 32 ounces of water before I do anything else and it really has helped out. Anyhow I’m on site and am gonna stare at it a bit longer while we do a bit of cleanup. I despise storm work. It’s a lot easier when I get to dismantle than when Mother Nature tries to assist.

Having the party on a work night keeps the bar tab lower. Required to show up the following day or don’t get paid for the holiday.

Snow is here. Over the last couple/few days I've amassed a massive sleep deficit. 2-4hrs a night for a few nights and long days of plowing. Last night I was able to sleep with confidence and not set an alarm. Got a solid 11+hours. Ahhhhhh. It's one of the things I love and hate about plowing.

It's my own little gig with the snowplow contracting. So I have to watch the weather like a hawk and if there's a chance of snow I have to get up to check. So I often end up going days of very little sleep when it gets stormy and unsettled. 2:00am start time. I like plowing though. I've always been a driver and operator of things. And I get to head out in the early am and see all the wild action downtown.

When I showed up at my first lot yesterday two cars were in the far end of the lot doing who knows what and like ten minutes later two cop cars showed up to find out what. That went on for awhile and then a bit later three junkies rolled in(yup on bicycles at 3am in 6"s of snow). Dusted off a table under a store awning and proceeded to snort something, dance about, yell at me a couple of times, and then head back off cycling. Lol. Never a dull moment downtown.

I get to head out in the early am and see all the wild action downtown.

UUZJO3W.gif

Annoyed with myself today, the hired man and I split enough wood for a winter over the last two days, so that?s good.

Then moving the tractor around to switch the splitter back to the winch on the back of the tractor I drove into the rails in which the sliding shutter doors move, disabling them.

5 weeks wait for a part.

Olympic standard muppetry.

Attachments

• 49A4AC46-5C6F-4B58-9C41-6F8D5A88A188.jpg
    49A4AC46-5C6F-4B58-9C41-6F8D5A88A188.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 39
Ouch Mick.

Working on a project in the shop. I live on a busy street, sometimes I won't be able to back in the chipper. Got this dolly off Kijiji, I fab'd a drive sprocket on one wheel.

20171221_142853.jpg

I fab'd a drive sprocket on one wheel.

I just laugh, Peter, at how you fab stuff...a great talent you have. Cool to see how thought is transformed to reality.

Mick...I'm like Jim...I'd try getting something big and stout and drive it down thru there to spread it...can't tear it up anymore can you?

Tried it, it’s been pulled out of the fixings in the wall, the moment the shutter feels any resistance it returns upward.

I’m no perfectionist, if I could bodge it, I would.

A bit, we’ll have another crack tomorrow, but take my word for it, it’s a sensitive thing, it’ll cost me. But worse things happen.

I always remember what Dad used to say “Mick, you’d frig up a fine day”

Mick, I can't tell much from the picture.
How about drilling holes and putting some glued in bolts in place to hold the rails.

Straightening something metal is always the hardest thing you can do to it. Straight things don't exist in nature for a reason. Your best bet would be to put a long straight 4x4 or something up against the straight side to strengthen it, then pounding a wedge down the middle repeatedly til its spread back out. Ideally go past what it was originally, then putting the wedge in the middle and handing it back to straight. Taking measurements as you go will help. If you are ever bored one day, look up how they solved the problem of developing flat surfaces.

Cliff notes version: without a flat surface to begin with, you need 3 different surface plates, all of them lapped to each other to remove concavity or convexness (don't know about the 2nd word there). Then to make another flat surface from your flat surface plate, they would dye the surface, then rub it very lightly on the surface plate. Where the dye was scraped off was high, so they would then use a very sharp carbide chisel to scrape the high spots. This process was repeated over and over to meet the flatness requirement needed. To this day, it is still the best way to make machine ways.

Back