How'd it go today?

Not quite sure how today is going.

I asked the mail order bride if she was up for a spot of marital relations ( Geschlechtswerkehr!) after my long absence and she sent me this picture: fleshlight-blade_1.jpg

What the hell have I married?????????????????

1dabf1c351067bc1b10ac8706fd09836.png

Pic didn't show on my end.

Hahhaha.

Thanks Stephen, it was crispy critter for sure, but it felt good, like it still moved well. . .

I didn't even notice I was doing that Peter! ha. Just a compulsion . . .

I was talking to my brother tonight who has his own business as well.

After my result with the "fallen in the river tree" I looked at a couple of others jobs, having already secured a good one I was confident, it had already been a good afternoon so I had a couple of "free hits" so to speak.

So next job was for a new client, nice house, nice trees. Decent amount of work (won't bore you with the breakdown) doable with a three man crew, chipper chip truck few saws. You get the picture.

Now ordinarily I work on a loose day rate of €500 to me after wages so I'm thinking 650/750 But I chance my arm and throw it at €1100. (Sorry to be vulgar and talk specific amounts but it's necessary for this post)
They booked it there and then.
So I think to myself on the way home that I'm trapped in my pricing dogma i.e. One day = x amount of money.
Time to think more like a businessman and less like a freelance climber with some equipment.
Just musings really.
Anyway, here's a 2 Minute video posted on AT that is worth a look.https://www.facebook.com/chasejarvis/videos/10153896119625978/

Finished with the cleanup at the course today...last 3 trailer loads for a total of 20. I'm very happy that is done.

So I think to myself on the way home that I'm trapped in my pricing dogma i.e. One day = x amount of money.

Same exact thing happens to me frequently. I've gotten a little better at going higher when called for. But it not like one gets every job that is bid, so there is always that tempering influence of when you bid a nice job and don't win it.

My nephew called me to cut some dead branches over a road for his neighbour. Only problem it was a municipal tree, thornless locust, not allowed to climb or cut. Dead limbs, 30 ft high spanning road into his yard almost. Couldn't help them. They called city, no response. Kids and elderly are constantly under it. I was showing my nephew my bigshot and rigging ropes. Wouldn't you know it. Funny thing. The limbs all seemed to break and fall while I was there.:/:

Since I got off of 7 12's I've been getting about 1/2 cord of fire wood every afternoon more or less .Stacked a trailer load today,white oak .Another 4- 5 days if it doesn't ran I should be done.About 10 cords .

Kind of easing into retirement .I don't get in a big rush to do much of anything with lightning speed any more .

Why?? Why did they not do the centrifugal filter thing with these 461s? haha. These little pre-filters are pretty cool. It helps a lot.

IMG_20161024_194958927.jpg

IMG_20161024_195111600.jpg

IMG_20161024_200057324.jpg

IMG_20161024_200746605.jpg

And this hitch had a solid shaft! It's really beefy. Good job over there at Reese Hitch 8)

7 12's? What company schedules someone that?

Was it volunteer, on your part?

I can understand that...

7 12's? What company schedules someone that?

Was it volunteer, on your part?

I can understand that...

My guess; an electrical construction job on a tight schedule. Sometimes it costs a company less to pay a bunch of guys overtime than it would to pay damages for coming in late on a schedule. Or, it's just that once an operation is up and running, a ton of money starts to be made by the company having the work done. So they essentially throw unlimited overtime at the guys, because the money they are paying them is a lot less than the money they would be making if they were operational.

Al can chime in and tell us how close my guess ends up being.

Tim

Hah, those prefilters look like Grandma's hair cap for going over her rollers at night!!

In Alaska we worked 6 twelves year round generally, 4 times a year it was 7 twelves. A couple of December's our hours got cut to 5 tens, i had so much free time i got a part time job then :D

I don't know, but that would make abundant sense. That is exactly the kind of big money operation I was referring to, where having a manufacturing line down costs them more than the labor to get it up and running ever would.

Not arb related, but if Al is working on or near a robot line, it would be cool to hear about it. It might not be ok for him to talk about it, though, with the way some companies try to protect their information.

On a related note, I think it might have been a year or two ago that one young guy was a victim of homicide by robot. I think he might have been working on it while it was still energized, and the machine mistook him for a part, or something, and picked him up and smashed him against another object, if my vague recollection is anywhere close. I'll see if I can find the news story.

Tim

Edit: Here is a link to the story. I think the guy died because he was an outside contractor who either did not know a safety rule, or knew it and violated it. The incident was under investigation.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/07/man-killed-by-a-factory-robot-in-germany/

Last edited:
Why?? Why did they not do the centrifugal filter thing with these 461s? haha. These little pre-filters are pretty cool. It helps a lot.

View attachment 74386

View attachment 74387

View attachment 74388

View attachment 74389

And this hitch had a solid shaft! It's really beefy. Good job over there at Reese Hitch 8)

Stihl went a bit retro with the 461 to make it appeal more to the American market. Rubber mounts and no centrifugal prefiltration.

Wonder why?

Just read all the bitching and moaning in the House about how the newer saws like 441 can,t be ported, don't make enough noise, don't vibrate enough and definitely don't meet the criteria for being a real " Man's saw"

Back