How'd it go today?

Oh wow, even I could have done that!
Find out who bailed on it and tell them a girl dissed them for walking.

Doofus=dingbat

Couldn't you have posted that 30 minutes ago? I just left TSC.:lol:

I needed six hydraulic o rings, and wasn't sure TSC would have them. Got lucky, six pack for $2.29.:D

IMG_20160521_171941.jpg

Have a little hesitation in the 038, lacks power occasionally. Did a little carb adjustment, tested on a fallen oak in the woods behind the GFs parent's place. Still has a small burp, but much better than before.

Had a fun one today.
Yesterday evening I got a call from a distraught woman.
She had a crew remove some trees from near her house, since she was having a couple of extra rooms added.
Builders were showing up on monday, and now the tree guys had walked from the largest tree, saying it was too dangerous for them to fall.
PANIC!
So she called around and got my number.
Not having seen the tree, the best I could offer was to have the whole crew and gear there this morning, with overtime pay for working saturday etc.
She asked the price for a day and fell off her chair when I told her.
But eventually agreed even though money was short with adding to the house and all.
After talking to her I looked it up at Google maps and realized that this horrible tree was a medium size spruce standing 6 feet from the house.
So this morning I drove in there alone, met the woman and gave her a price that was WAY lower.
We ended up settling for cash on the spot, she drove off happy and I knocked the horrible tree out in a bit over an hour.
Honestly, it was walk up, cuttin branches as you go, walk back down, dumping logs.

And my logging/countryside arborist background even made me able to fell the spar along the house without too much fear and trepidation.

Love those jobs where both client and I are happy about the price:)

Still wonder what kind of "working for beer money" crew it was that walked away from that tree?

Sure wish I'd briught my camera, would have given y'all a cheap laugh.

Just had an idea, you should be able to see it here: https://www.google.dk/maps/place/Rø...x13b242509c68d6b9!8m2!3d55.676417!4d12.445135

Scary, eh?

That's great, Stig :).

I never did do much private work outside of my job, just never was hungry enough to pursue it very heavily. Probably the limited amount I did skewed the averages significantly, and the rep I had for being able to handle hazardous trees meant I got more calls of this nature than would be expected, but for whatever reasons in the end it seems that about half of the calls I got were like this one...a "regular" crew would refuse to undertake a "dangerous" tree, the homeowner would ask around and hear my name...I'd go take a look and then be able to do the work for good money on my end, and for a very reasonable cost on theirs compared to expectations.

A win-win. It was a pretty sweet place to operate in, for mad money :).

Interesting B, me too. I have always gravitated towards the big ugly's and they find their way to me as a result of the referral buzz.

I do love it when they are not actually big and ugly. Although I like those ones too. Some people will tell you their tree is 1000 feet tall. Another time a lady will say it's 100 and you get there and it's far more. My favorite old lady hobbling along the sidewalk many years ago, I was in an absolute monster tree and she stopped and yelled up at me,
"Do you do big trees also?"
She still has my respect.
Although I wonder what it would be like for the old guy she married. . .

No way to put that "buzz" on a truck sign. It either is there, or it isn't...all depends on the work one has successfully done.

In reality, my whole rep in the USFS climbing/rigging world which lead me to my much enjoyed tech advisor/instructor status followed much the same pattern. A case of "you make your own luck", to some degree anyway.

It is interesting when people call for storm damage as well as regular work, most of the time when they say the tree is enormous it is rather small.

If you're into big wrecks the best thing is to get that word out there. For these parts I was the company geared up to handle large(for here) trees efficiently. I was always quite friendly to my competition and encouraged them to send jobs my way that seemed like to big of projects. It seemed to work out well.

I still love my old joke of when customers would call and ask if I did 'big trees'. I'd tell them, 'I certainly do, the bigger the better.......better for me that is'. :D. Some totally wouldn't get it, I know, I know. Bad joke.

Well, its been an interesting day, week really, shit, Month. We got more rain, so I went to an auction sale. Didnt get anything bought. Father in Law will be here Wednesday, so that is good. Kids love that.

Wind is blowing now, so we might have a chance yet. Got lots to do yet, and now we are a month behind.

I have not been having anything to drink, so I am jealous of Butch tonight. Just figured that I should stay off the booze for a while. Pretty common to sit around and drink or spend a bunch of money in town. Honestly, I am kinda proud of myself. I would be into the Jack, and my tongue can get sharp.

I am really not that much of an asshole that I want people discriminated against. The problems I see are just so complicated and I have a hard time getting the thoughts out in a coherent manner. Lots of different issues rile me up. Mick asked what I was so mad about once. I dont know. Angry mostly white male I guess, as Ed thought. Maybe sad. A 2 year old boy was found walking the streets of Havre at 6 am the other day, stayed unclaimed for hours. I cried about that. Everything seems to make me emotional anymore. Maybe I should turn the news off for a while, and go back to watching cartoons.

I would really hate to alienate myself anymore than I already have, youse people are about all I have anymore, and your kindness often overwhelms me. So please accecpt my apology. Sorry if I offended anyone.

So I hope everyone has a good week. Nite, nite.

Indeed, too much input, exposure to world news and events can be overwhelming, especially when it seems that you can't do anything about it.

Take a deep breath, focus on what you can fix, take care of yourself.
hug

At least our local news channel here ends their program by either showing a newborn baby with it's beaming parents, or some cool dog that is popular in the neighborhood. Things end on a good note to help relax.

Good luck, Jim.

A hiatus from booze is a good one. Try to get water, exercise, sleep.

Avoid network news, aka the Death and Destruction Report. Its designed to scare you, worry you, and bring you back for more.

I murdered a cherry tree in cold blood today. I was milling up some rafters for a friend and ran out of logs. There was a cherry right behind the mill so I whacked it. Got two more rafters. And some firewood. I'll cut that up for my architect, I owe him a cord or so.

Back