How'd it go today?

I'm not done with them yet. We've got more to plant. I can't seem to get good size so I'm going with quantity. After seeing a pic of what mistabenns diet allows him ( there were grilled onion slabs) , I started making them that way. My kids love them. We eat them like that at least 3 times a week. We need to finish those and get potatoes and peas in the ground soon as well. I added to the garlic last night. The wife planted it last fall but I just planted a bunch more since it was starting to sprout hanging in the basement stairwell

20160425_191232.jpg

Well, here she is. Picked it up today.

Thought it was a Lilja, but it is a Pac Nor instead. No big deal, Pac Nor makes good barrels. I like Lilja because they are Made In Montana.

25-06 Ackley Improved. Timney trigger, Bushnell Tac scope in Talley mounts, hand lapped. HS precision stock. Fully blue printed and glass bedded action. Just charged me parts.

I looked it up and the company advertises them made of Kevlar, fiberglass and carbon fiber Jay. They are pretty light, not as light as a plastic stock but MUCH stiffer.

In my opinion nothing looks better than walnut, but walnut would not have been a good fit on this rifle.

For all the work, I suppose 3000 to 4000 would not have been out of line. It takes a LOT of hours to get them just right.

All told, it is going to cost me 1600. I traded him a magnum action for this standard action. I paid 200 for the donor rifle that I traded him, so I guess 1800 if you count that.

Nice looking " varment" gun Jim.
Cut them about 1/2" thick and fry them in butter with S&P. Or melted butter with S&P seared on the grill. Just long enough to take the bite out of them.

Man! Thanks for the feedback on my wreck-it-Ralph driver.
This thread is cruising too fast for my current phone-time availability though. Prolific posters Here at TH!

Jim, am I right in thinking that stock has a slightly rough texture as opposed to being very smooth. That seem like it would feel good with the texture.

I'm off for a nice big trail ride today with a buddy of mine. Not a cloud in the sky this morning, looks like it'll be awesome. We'll be riding in kal park, a local park where we have access to the lake (kalamalka lake) with our horses. Later in the year we untack and you can take your horse right in swimming, to cold still now though.

I've been riding everyday, training, roping, having a great time with it still, starting to become halfways handy even.

image.jpg

I got a call from a Nothern State forest district.
We'd been heavily recommended from our local district, for topping danger trees, so the stem is left for wildlife.
Been doing that for some 30 years, 'bout time it payed off:lol:

The wanted us to submit a price for dealing with 22 large to huge trees, mostly beech, some oak, one large hornbeam.
So Richard and I spent a day going around and figuring prices.
2 were so bad, we flat out refused to climb and top them. Fomes fomentarium galore.
Suggested we pulled the tops out with a 15 ton winch instead.
One had both Ganoderma and Kretzschmaria and was so sketchy we set the price way high.
Either they'll drop it and just fell it or we have money enough in it to take it down in itty bitty pieces.
3 were over a building and need a crane to be taken down safely.

Anyway, lots of " interesting" trees.
I submitted the bid today with a price for each tree and my explanation for the price and the way we wanted to handle it.

Business as usual in other words, except apparently they haven't asked any other company for a second bid.

Be interesting to see how this turns out.

Lots of "excitement" in those trees, maybe lots of money, too.

Hey, Justin!
Nice looking horse and some nice tack, too.

I ride every sunday morning with my oldest and best friend.
We went to riding academy together as teenagers for about 5 years, training dressage and jumping.
I went on to Western riding, working in Idaho and he hasn't been on a horse for almost 40 years.
When My Swiss wife's horses got here, I took him riding and it was so much fun to see all his old skills slowly come back. ( He was such a gifted rider back then, should never have stopped)

Anyway, horseriding here is a thing for young women, so they sure look an extra time, when they come across two grey haired lederly gentlemen, galloping through the woods on a sunday.

Riding in the woods with my best buddy, and talking about the week that went by, is such a good way to use a sunday morning.

I wish you a real good trail ride ( And am pretty envious about the terrain you have to ride in :))

Yeah, horseback riding really grows on you. Nothing quite like it and something to enjoy all of the time. Justin, have you gotten into bareback riding at all? Barefoot is real comfortable too.

Seems a great way to pass a morning a week Stig! :thumbup: Good luck with the "interesting" trees.

Have a great day Justin! Sounds fun.

Sounds like a dream bid Stig.
Hopefully they aren't just having you profile a plan and then telling other contractors what they need done. I hate when that happens.

I'm not too worried about that.
Not too many " Go up that risky tree and take the top out" artists around here, most of the arbs here are smarter than that:)

Back