How'd it go today?

A place to fill saws with fuel and set them down between cuts... In this case they had bare dirt circles with a round of wood to set them on. They sit upright real well on a flat surface. This way hot mufflers or fuel spills don't ignite a grass fire. 10 foot circles. Trouble with dead pine is the needle shed as you dismantle. SO even a bare dirt area become covered with duff fast. So elevating the saws on the wood rounds keeps them stable and above the slash.

Wow, good info. Glad to hear you guys have a simple system of preventative measures, sounds like if you are diligent then you should be OK. Keep up the good work!

I figured that you had it covered.

Until you start to smell burning, or start a fire, its not so 'real'. I was cutting up some slash piles at the preschool job. I started to smell burning. I was able to reach the hose, which thankfully doesn't have a supply issue. Thick, dry moss will start to smolder on a muffler, I keep a watchful eye.

Another Conservation Corps supervisor started a fire at a wildlife refuge, "burning his toilet paper", in NV, about 10 years ago. That leaves an impression.

I'll bet you've seen a lot of fire pretty close, Stephen. Good tips for us all. Thanks for the elaboration.:thumbup:

I had a new guy once that did not listen... We were cleaning up some down dead pines and there was a ton of slash around some rocks on a good incline. I told him, cut all this stuff back from in front of the rocks. Cut this brush over here. Make a small fire over there some 20 feet out about the size of a small camp fire and start feeding it slow. Rake the duff back from the rocks.
He lit a fire 10 feet from the duff. Never cut the slash back from the rocks. Did not rake it back from the rocks. Woooooosh... We hear him hollering and run over. Sure enough.. Duff fire starts the moss that races up the rocks towards the downed dead pine. Robert took the saw left and started clearing it back. I took the top of the rocks scraping the moss off and back down into the base of the rocks... Moved right and bare dirt a line. Rob then bare dirt left. Yelling instructions to the young buck the whole time... Having him bare dirt the lower quadrant where he started the problem. The panicked look on his face. Sure made him a believer.
He looked in total disbelief at the aftermath once contained and just shook his head. He just could not believe that moss would burn in winter.
Told him if he made me fight fire or chase fire ever again, he was fired. Follow directions fool.

Terrible pics, but you get the idea... a Big Pig Maple lead stove-piped right through this poor guy's deck in a wind that was next to nothing at all. Andy provides some perspective.

[ATTCH=CONFIG]62806[/ATTACH] unnamed-42.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed-41.jpg
    unnamed-41.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 50
Wrecked out the biggest pine tree in my climbing career today. My fun day of recreational climbing must have paid off some cause I didn't have any of my normal issues and I felt pretty good doing it.

How big was it TT? Peter I'm curious about your gaff/ascender rig. Let us know how it works. Kind of looks like the ascender might hit the bark and keep you from getting good penetration but pics can be deceiving.

Some more of the spar .... day two...............................................................................................................................................102F
Poor Mike... the things I make him do... That is the 066 up there with a 36 bar. Got wood?

Attachments

• Mike Chunk1.jpg
    Mike Chunk1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Mike Chunk2.jpg
    Mike Chunk2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Mike Chunk3.jpg
    Mike Chunk3.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Mike Chunk4.jpg
    Mike Chunk4.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Mike Chunk5.jpg
    Mike Chunk5.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Mike Chunk6.jpg
    Mike Chunk6.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Mike Chunk7.jpg
    Mike Chunk7.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 43
How big was it TT? Peter I'm curious about your gaff/ascender rig. Let us know how it works. Kind of looks like the ascender might hit the bark and keep you from getting good penetration but pics can be deceiving.

I'll post a better pic. Hope it works.....the CMI was the most economical in my area.

Whipped, 2 jobs done 2 estimates out of the way. Been at least three weeks since I have had to be on the end of the double kant hook and months more than that anything uphill:eek: Sent one guy home
Stop crying or you'll be dehydrated some you just can't teach.

Me 2... :thumbup:

180 feet of zip line ... Sure saved us a shat load of dragging and clean up
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DFRqvi8HohM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Got back from camping this afternoon. Friday till today. Long time, fishing was poor until I tried a nightcrawler 18 inches below a red and white bobber. The pros laughed at me. I KILLED em with that rig.
After i caught a few limits, the lake became filled with their kid's bobbers! Ha! Dumb hick indeed!

Back