How'd it go today?

Well I have no work @ the moment - been 2. Weeks since I have had any. At least I'm catching up on my fishing8)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 41
Pete, have you got any plans? I mean moving to London or something?

I'm living on hope & savings at the moment. There is bugger all contract climbing around here at the moment - I have even been trying to work back in the woods where I started, but I don't work a forwarder or harvester so that is out.
To be honest I am ok for another few weeks - then I will panic, but still won't go to the foul stench of London or the south!!

Well, past week got the old S10's driver side door hinge changed, a new and working in cab hood release, and changed a leaky water pump. Now to start getting back up some trees (slowly, too much belly right now) and I don't have to have a crunching grinding door and leak antifreeze all over customer's driveways. Still flooded in some rural jobs I have lined up.

Play the game Stephen, only costs about 200 bucks to get your Certified Forester through SAF. Get that on lock and your free game on all that dead. Would probably give you a nice jump on the competition. I plan on getting mine this spring for future project work.

Been looking into that route... Looked like I needed a Bachelors in soils science and or biology.. I'll have to dig deeper.
And yes, I would love to have the cert with not only all this going on, but in the future for not having to give up trees too early in life :D

Pretty good day just putzing around checking fluids, starting/running, sharpening things...mostly just getting ready to start doing trees again next week.

Made trip to the bank and made a deposit...soon as the check clears I can fix the well and get water back in the house.

Had another decent day. Really set us up for an easy Friday and finish this county job. Bad part was a groundie ran the winch rope through the chipper. The new one was supposed to have been put on this week end. I did it tonight along with a few other maintainence things. I guess everyone knows what the tailgate meeting will be tomorrow. Also a warning that if it happens again I'm supposed to remove the winch all together. It also happens that we all have to go get piss tested tomorrow. Oh what fun.

I had a diesel instructor tell me about putting the biggest damn clutch spring on a truck he could find because the truck driver would rest his foot on the pedal and take out the throw out bearing.

The driver begged him to change it and I guess he never rested his foot on the clutch again! I guess sorta like taking the winch off the chipper!;)

Been really good calving weather, sorry east coast guys! Had a fire on my place today, started by an abandoned power line. Could have burned up all my bulls, that would suck.

I am leaving tomorrow to work for the State for a couple of days. We are going to be teaching the Wild Land Fire Safety Refresher. There will be four of us that will split up into pairs so we can be in two towns each day. Its kind of cool to be asked to help teach, I see it like an honor. My boss says I am good at teaching, hope I don't let him down. My Boss/lead instructor is a retired Forest Service and BLM FMO and forester. Incredibly knowledgeable and he teaches me a lot about trees.

Fruit tree pruning season is coming to an end. Planted tw apples yesterday, after knocking down a small fir and very small pine. Pruned two apples and a fir, then 6 more fruit trees at another job today. Chipper blades tomorrow. Overdue. Thing is going to be hungry after a new set of blades and anvil.

I have a lot clearing job to do, mostly medium and large (for the location) alder, which pays pretty well, and small enough that I can move good sized logs with my Boxer. I need to jump on buying an arch or an axle/ wheels/ tires to have a rear for rolling logs out. One big Hemlock. That's where most of the brush lies.

I'll take the logs, leave him firewood logs and chips. See how the return is on the job. I think it will work out well enough. Found a new log buyer, closer to this site, better prices!

I'm living on hope & savings at the moment. There is bugger all contract climbing around here at the moment - I have even been trying to work back in the woods where I started, but I don't work a forwarder or harvester so that is out.
To be honest I am ok for another few weeks - then I will panic, but still won't go to the foul stench of London or the south!!
Fair enough Pete, your shout, maybe it's be time to look further afield. Scandanavian and the rest of Europe. Close enough so you can take the dog.

Fair enough Pete, your shout, maybe it's be time to look further afield. Scandanavian and the rest of Europe. Close enough so you can take the dog.

If nothing turns up, we are thinking of moving. Which would be a shame, because we live in a really beautifull place & that means a lot to us

Had light snow and then rain so county cancelled us today. I went and removed a sweet gum that someone dug two feet away from three sides. Had to "guy" the tree to rig it out. Wasn't to bad except for dealing with the builder who kept trying to work under me. Spent over 3k of the bosses money at Treestuff today also. This was just to get some things up to compliance. Next order will be all new blocks and other rigging gear for my crew

Cost of doing business. Especially when he wants to see big production

Absolutely. Can't have one without the other, at least over a period of time. Being on or near the cutting edge isn't cheap, can't be. To be in the "among the best" category takes high financial, physical and mental commitment, just as it does in any industry

We've been doing pretty good at it with limited gear and manpower. Well my crew anyhow. I've been buying misc gear and showing him the difference it makes. A lot of the next purchase is to return my gear to me. Basically buying me new stuff for the wear I've put on mine. Plus some extras.
And the mental commitment for production is really working on him. I've been helping with that a bit. I've been going with him on the bigger jobs to make sure we're on the same page.

Going gangbusters cutting pipelines. In not in production cutting condition and this has proven to be more fast paced then typical cutting work. Burning almost 2 gallons a day in a 62cc saw on falling alone. Deep snow, steep hills, boatloads of environmental and safety red tape, and all trees MUST land inside the 100 foot wide boundaries. I'm enjoying myself and getting reacquainted with the art of manipulating crowned out hardwoods with a short bar, fast saw, and wedges. Ill be back to participating more here after April 1. I'm up at 4:30, and back in the door at 7 pm. Quick dinner and shower and out cold in my bed.

Back