How'd it go today?

Mutual aid means somebody needed all the help they could get...good on you guys for being there. Brutal conditions...I suppose bunker gear helps keep the wind off...do you manage to stay warm at all?

-7!! Half if the guys at work are wearing coveralls already and it's in the mid 30's here. Keep that cold weather over there. My boss shuts it down around 0. I know you don't have that option. Every thing that isn't burning is frozen at those temps. Gotta suck.

Ah not awful at all you wimps:lol:
Outside -30 below, suns shining bright a worker can dress comfortably for it. With experience you learn to wear the proper lightweight clothing and footwear to make ease of movement and production. Never get overheated and dehydration is almost non existent. I made the most money logging in those conditions, just like the moose keep moving.

I'll lay claim to the wimp title, Willard...I've worked many a day in cold and snow, but I seldom found it comfortable :).

I will say though, 35 degrees and raining is waaay colder to me than 10 degrees, dry and sunny... or 20 degrees and snowing. And far more of my woods work was in the former rather than the latter. That's the climate here.

I was just teasing Burnham. Dry cold like minus -30 below cold without a wind is what I like and yes lots of dry snow that stays on the ground all winter. Splitting firewood is effortless, limbing softwood with a skidder is so easy. Makes a hearty appetite and sleep like a log.

One winter I had a fellow visitor from the east coast of Nova Scotia ask me why I had an electrical cord hanging out of the grill of my pickup. He was amazed when I told him "that's to plug the engine's block heater in so it keeps the engine oil warm and thin enough so it would start in the morning."

We had to go to "rehab" a couple of times. That is when you take a break and EMT's monitor your vitals. You dont get released to go back to work until they are satisfied.

They had no EMT's today, so we rehabed in a church next to the fire. The neighboring town had two single family dwellings on fire and only had a crew of four respond. We rolled with a crew of six and a pumper. Gloves frozen solid, SCBA froze up, Icicles hanging off of everything. It got to the point where your arms got so heavy with ice that you could not lift them or bend at the elbows. Miserable, but good working with the brothers, if that makes sense.

We got there in time to save one family's house, due in part to the hard damn work the neighboring town put in before we got there. The other house was a total loss, and the family suffered a terrible tragedy.

Nice going Jim, I can't imagine working in those temps. Firefighters are busy here today but it's about 100 degrees hotter, there's a bad fire just up in the mountains.

I went out to tip a load of chips, it was 100f on a church weather station about 11am. Talk about country meets city, some people seem to think it's still 1980 and a sunday drive road not a six lane main road. I've got to find somewhere else to get rid of my chips before I go crazy dodging them.

Had some stumps to grind this afternoon but pulled the plug on that, side of a busy road and they were going to stop the traffic while I did it. I think it would have been asking for trouble in more ways than one on a hot friday afternoon, I don't need any road rage, traffic this morning was bad enough.

I got a friend stopping by today to swap a front differential in a truck. Bye bye ttb dana 50, welcome solid axle dana 60. It'll be a fun day, despite the work to be done. A lifelong friend who I don't get to visit with often enough.

What springs are you going to use Justin? We did the same swap on a friend's pickup and he decided to use the springs from the TTB axle. It turns out that they are stiffer than the solid axle springs to. They had to be to counteract the independent front, the front end movement and the spring rate combined to keep the ride smooth. It rode like the axle was welded to the frame!

He eventually used the one ton springs and the ride smoothed considerably.

Just in case you had not this before.

Have fun with your friend!

You're a hundred percent correct. I'm staying with the 250 springs as I'm going to be hanging a 800pd plow on the front. That'll help soften those 250 springs up some.

Cold here, speaking of wood stoves I'm trying to get mine up to code in this new home I moved into. It's a nice electric forced air / wood furnace setup but the previous owner never had the chimney clearance properly installed. Codes call for 18" clearance from combustible surface, I got only about 8". Surprising the guy never burned the house down.

20141112_192803.jpg 20141112_192644.jpg 20141109_084152.jpg

Didn't need a snow plow but it was a little nippy down here this morning, great working weather though. Took down 14 pines and three laurel oaks for one customer, working like a mad man. Only had to climb 5. Three more takedowns and a lot of cleanup for tomorrow but we stand to make a few bucks on this job. Nice.

image.jpg Removed seven smallish Norway spruce and ten scotch pine for a college today. Was an easy beautiful Friday. Got off by two so I got to pick up my new boots from the line-x guy.

Line X is tough . I got the stuff in my pickup bed . 7 years now and still holding up super tough.

Burnham, yes it's cold here alright got winter early here. Being doing indoor reno work for the last few months so I'm not acclimatized yet.
Our swift flowing Burntwood river out yonder is not showing any signs of freezing besides the little bays, small lakes are froze over though.

Killed a couple of little baby valley oaks an hour away today.. Took the kids and Grandma picked them up at the job site. Rob talked the HO into a couple of the oak logs to play with... Good money for a 1/2 day of work ..

Started another large commercial job brushed out a pair of pines, two oaks, and removed about 30 sweet gums just small enough for my morbark save a few pieces.
Now this am my fingers are in a tingle. Hope it doesn't last long, too much to be done. Still fighting a small biz growth and being one man. Glad to have my fire line friend back for the winter. The finest working weather though.

Got the wood boiler on line last night. It was really nice to pull up to it with the Kubota bucket and just toss the wood in and not have to drag it through the house, and I don't have to tend the wood stove every few hours, and there are no cold corners in the house.

That sounds awesome Dave congrats. My old smokey eats wood like it's going out of style, I really need to upgrade my stove, as my house doesn't lend itself to an outside boiler. Would be nice to have one though and tie my shop into it. Right now ikeep two old stoves going near 24/7.

Axle swap went well yesterday but not without it's snags, also installed the plow mount. I've still got to button everything up. I rebuilt the new diff so I installed it empty for ease and still have a bit to assemble to finish it up. Fires are raging and the coffee is on.

Back