How'd it go today?

Looing forward to your pics, Reg. Cool take on a tree man's downtime...

Had a baby in a baby stroller start to roll out in front of my pickup to start the day. 4 year old was jiggling her on the sidewalk/ bus stop. Mother 3' away. 4 yo lets go, baby stroller starts to go down the ramp in the sidewalk where there would have been a flat sidewalk with a step-down curb in days gone by, but with wheelchair accessiblility, ah ya. Mother reached out and grabbed the stroller as I hit the brakes. A loud "what the fI&K are you doing!!" rang out. Mother grabbed it, no harm done. Lesson learned.

Day went okay otherwise, essentially. Finished a job. Employee driving the chip truck and chipper, which he took out this morning after he did the safety checks and documentation, I drove the pick-up, as I had been all day (two stops on the way to the jobsite. Intercepted the nanny putting the car seat in the car wrong, from what I can tell.) Leaving the job, he make a green/ yellow light, I catch the red, as the "follow" vehicle in our little caravan. I make the next left turn arrow onto HWY 101. Get a call. Chip truck problems. As you all may have done at some point in the past, relied on a fuller tank, and a mileage sheet rather than drop the gas tank to replace the sending unit, that's what I do. This is what we have done for 5 years. Guess who violate the "If you're not sure, Ask" rule? Gasoline engines seem to like to have gasoline in them. Go figure. Gotta love a small shoulder, filling the step tank with log trucks going by. Evidently, people trying to move over to the left lane from the right lane and entrance ramp was dangerous.

6 gallons in tank (note to self, No-Spill cans fill slowly). Truck likes it. Happily on the way to the gas station, I'm in the right lane, approaching a light maybe going 28, maybe 32, possibly even the 35 MPH speed limit, but unlikely. Guy turns left at the light across me, okay, next driver blindly follows him. My winch is mounted on the bumper of the F600, as it happens, like a battering ram, but I slammed on the brakes, he made it in front of me, no harm done. Like I hadn't had enough for one day. I slammed on the brakes and looked at the traffic light, yes green, yes, green, yes green. "Yes, your honor, while slamming on the brakes in the half loaded chip truck with chipper (the inspection sheet that was completed that morning, above the visor), I said to myself three times, "I have the green light". I thought what is he doing cutting me off, and then I CRUSHED the car. "

Another high 80's day (hot for here) today, and tomorrow. I'm taking tomorrow off and cleaning the house, etc.

Thanks for posting that Rog. Close one. I agree your hinge could have been better. It did also look like you have a high (slow) pull on those other trees. Couldnt see the last one that went sideways.

Fast pulls would be good, and would have been with the last tree, but a tad risky, though that line is bombproof.... could have broken out the top, though. Also, the line was around a limb about 10 feet below the crotch it was in, and out a ways, could have broken that limb which would have allowed instant slack into the line.

Years ago, I had a couple firs go quite a ways off(~20-35 degrees, methinx....) from where I had them gunned, again with no consequence. A better faller probably could have read the favor of those trees and figured out how to face them up. I recall them seeming quite straight and evenly weighted, but based on what happened, I was surely off base....

I have a couple cool jobs coming up---3-8 weeks out.. one or two DED killed elms, and three lombardies that lean over the Duwamish River and are undermined by the water. Crane job, brish included-that one. Routine, but a cool setting. Would love to have you come down... cash talks, right! I'm sure I can afford ya...$21.99 per hr, right...I supply the Guiness afterwards...:lol::greenjumpers:

That Tree Guy (Dave Byrnes) showed up for climbing this morning after a long trip from Tucson.
No keeping this guy down. He was the first in the tree while I was out getting some things moved about at job sites.
More pictures to follow :D
IMG_0504.jpg
I know he's in there somewhere ....
IMG_0167ed.JPG
There he is... on the central leader. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0165ed.JPG
    IMG_0165ed.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0166ed.JPG
    IMG_0166ed.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
Finished six days on the cliffs, the 150tc performed admirably! I took the 200 out for several larger trees on a lesser slope and it was as I had thought, the weight was awful and dragging it through waist high brush...using the 200 suspended on the cliffs would have been a nightmare as well as overkill.

I never realized how clunky the 200 is, after using the wee 150 with its cool narrow carving bar, the 200 seemed like a blunt instrument. But, to each job, the ideal tool.

Before and after, slightly different position though:

Attachments

• P6060105.jpg
    P6060105.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 58
  • P7300564.jpg
    P7300564.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 58
Yes, trees into the sea...the conservation services chaps were then roping them and pulling them into deep water with the boat where they sink to the bottom.

Butch, I am taking a break, my truck broke down on me on Wednesday night, no clutch, no gears, someone said its the master cylinder...and it's a big holiday here from Thursday to Sunday...gotta go rent a scooter so at least I can work next week. Took time off on Thursday, big raft up on the water, swim with a floatie and a cold beverage and listen to a band on a barge...yeah, I took a break.
Truck's going to cost a grand to fix if I don't get lucky with the diagnosis and availability of parts...BUGGER!

Been a long time since I turned down a tree it seems but did it twice today.

First was a co-dominant cherry w/split. Considered tying it together and doing it but upon further inspection decided too much else wrong with the tree to be climbed. Cherry around here is very untrustworthy most of the time.

Having free time, we went to look at another job...2-4 years dead co-dominant Ash leaning over building. The little guy inside was screaming NO! So I passed and recommended hiring a lift for the second time in the day.

Couldn't get hold of the next customer in line, so took pickup in for a new bumper ball and hitch installation inspection (old hitch rusted bad). sJust sorry Nick drove all the way up and we didn't get to work.
New hitch on order to be installed after I get back form next weeks job away from home.

feel like I accomplished a whole lot of nothing today, but not sweating turning down trees I consider too chancy (as much as I hate to do that ).

Say hi to Dave for me, have him post up here, Stephen!

Hang in there, Steve Mack

Three oak pull trees, one hanging way out over the wires, including fiber optic. I looked at the at job three times, near my shop, and pretty much figured that it had two much lean to get straightened up, plus a very congested location with other trees. I knew it was going to get hung up, but thought it could bust apart with so much tension needed to pull it back. My first choice would have easily been a bucket lift, but we went for it. Long story short, it took four hours to manage, and at one point had four pullers on the thing, two for additional holding power and the large one plus to bring it over. A house there to be concerned about as well. Got that sucker down alright, but a number of resettings needed. The other two weren't so bad, but also hung up. By 4:30 we got to where we wanted to be with everything down.
Sort of amazing how much distance you can get a tree to move to get favorable lean, when things go right. The worry subtracts from the fun a bit though.

First time I worked with a guy that has a part time job helping to manage a vacation home area, so he is in a good position to bring in work. Looked at two other jobs that he is on contact with the home owners about. We got along quite well, lots of promise for future work. He doesn't have so much experience with trees, but has a good head and isn't afraid of challenges. I've seen him handle a testy job on his own before. Most with his time in the field would never have considered it.

Since my Swiss lady will be bringing her horses with her, I've started building a stable.
All of last weekend ( read: 3 12 hr days) and all evenings this weekend have been used on getting the foundation and roadbeds in while the drought lasts.
I used some of the surplus dirt to build her an alp, so she won't feel homesick.
The 2 deer watched us most of yesterday evening.

P1010411.JPG P1010585.JPG P1010586.JPG P1010574.JPG P1010470.JPG P1010467.JPG P1010451.JPG P1010444.JPG P1010442.JPG P1010551.JPG

Why the hell doesn't it opload pictures in order????????????????

Thanks, Jay.
One thing I've learned: don't fall in love with a horse woman, it is too much work:lol:

Good luck with getting into the vacation home area. I don't know how it is in Japan, but here those are some of the best places to moonlight. For some reason most people prefer not to get a bill when you do treework around their vacation cottage.

Back