How'd it go today?

You lose your license here too. That doesnt stop everyone. License or not, people often keep driving.

Doesn't stop them here either, but once you've lost your licence the penalties are way beyond a fine and a slap on the wrists, you can easily qualify for jail time.

Here, a DUI conviction penalty now is over six grand and loss of license for either six months or a year, and anyone else that might be in the car with the driver, whether they have been drinking themselves or not, must also pay the same fine. A second time and they stop being friendly. Drinking establishments have much suffered in loss of business. You can call a company to come out to where you have been drinking. A car will show up with two guys and one will drive you home and the other will drive your car back. Not cheap for the service, though.

We have that service here too. We're pretty strict on it here too. Not even a consideration for me at this point in my life. If a bottle touches the lips you won't find me behind the wheel. I will admit to not being as wise in my youth. Grew up in a real rural redneck sorta area for around here. Driving is how we got everywhere and anywhere. I know more than a few people that have been severely affected by drinking and driving. Many deaths. Less than two weeks ago a lifelong friend of my family lost their 20 something son to drinking and driving. Speeding recklessly down a back/gravel road. His brother was with him and has to live with the experience of giving his own brother cpr unsuccessfully. No seatbelt on the driver, the passenger lived through the crash belted. Seatbelts work. I know of many accidents personally where seatbelts would've saved lives.

Drinking and driving is just plain stupid. Even if you think you're good at it........you're still being an idiot.

The cops tell me that you can't drink and ride a bicycle either, but I fairly regularly have a beer or two at a friend's place or somewhere, then pedal home. I figure hey, a guys got to live. I try to make sure that I don't crash into anybody, and take the side roads.

Had to let a good man go today
Feeling really shitty
Could of seriously hurt myself twice today and should of left it for the end of the day but then I wouldn't of let him go.
Oh well

Busy day today. Just me and Riley on this messy Grand fir, tightish spot. Riley’s only 19 but has been helping his Dad on tree jobs since he was 13....so he knows the script. We got some extra help mid afternoon for the clean up etc

I started just cut and hold as much as was safe and practical to do so. Then switched to lowering the limbs that were a little too heavy or risky to manhandle up there. I held the rigging line while riley guided then out to the chipper. Then we switched to zipline a little higher. Its was almost vertical but just enough to guide them away from the building. Then I took out the top when it was favoured to go the right way. It was a tight fit I’ll say.

The rest was just blocking in double round sections until we were able to fall a 20 ft log.

Thursday night I have to go grocery shopping so was rushing to get done that last hour. The client was beginning to irritate....as was the heat. Then the chain came off the 3120, which is not the quickest saw to reassemble. Then the focker wouldn’t start. Then the starter handle ripped out from the cord. Aaaaarrrrrgggggh. Thankfully the client busied himself elsewhere at that point. We still managed to get out of there just after 5. I got the groceries done.
DSC03293.JPG DSC03294.JPG DSC03298.JPG DSC03300.JPG DSC03313.JPG DSC03314.JPG DSC03317.JPG

Nice job Reg and nice graphic explanation of the day. LOL @ "Then the focker wouldn’t start. Then the starter handle ripped out from the cord. Aaaaarrrrrgggggh."
I feel your pain.

Live to Inspire

Killed these two oaks in two days. Managers opted to shoot the chips into an area they wanted weed control. I figure about 12 yards in a pile for him to spread. :D
Dad came and picked up two loads of oak so I did not have to move it an hour home. A serious win win for the crew as we were down a truck as well. Only before pictures as we were WAY too busy to take others... :lol: No discount for shooting chips BTW.. We had to move the material to a special location to chip it. No way to get a truck up to the place to dump it. ;)

Attachments

• Tree 5.1.jpg
    Tree 5.1.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Tree 5.3ed.jpg
    Tree 5.3ed.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Tree 6.0.jpg
    Tree 6.0.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 51
Re reg's grand fir

First pic I though "not too bad" then as you look up you think. " Crikey"
By double blocking do you mean cutting two rings before pushing them off? Not heard that expression.

I think he means each piece was the approximate length of two stove lengths.
Probably about 32 inches. Am I right Reg?

Live to Inspire

There is double buck blocking or some such thing where you start your second block without hanging your saw after the first. Partway through the second cut, just let go, the saw stays, you push the block off. I don't know what Reg was referring to.

What were you using to lower limbs? NC? This is one of those things were we have to judge how much is feasible, and how much is feasible without longterm injury from doing something you can do, but repeat 100 times, and its a bit of an overload. Seems you work with one guy regularly, Reg. You ever use a Belay Spool for lowering? Groundie or climber catch it, then climber lowering it through the BS set near the climber.

Grand fir limbs are surprisingly dense for as light as the dry wood is. The limbs don't taper so much, like DF in my experience.

All by myself on this one, no groundie, lot of up and down, glad branch was low....huge split branch resting on chicken coop....forgot before pics, just think big

I think he means each piece was the approximate length of two stove lengths.
Probably about 32 inches. Am I right Reg?

Live to Inspire

Youre right August. Then we just cut em in half when we i got down. Some of them were too big. They look smaller up the tree.

Hedgerow, there's enough to keep us busy throughout most of the year. And we do lots of pruning too, not just killing. I always try to get some pics where its not an inconvenience. Been a good 3 years.

Sean, I used the rigging rings Nick sent me. Gloves would've been useful. If Im gonna lower heavy stuff I'll just weave the line through a crotch from the start. Grand fir is heavy out here, especially the logs. And you dont want your climb line anywhere near it if poss. So when I was blocking down I used 2 fliplines and hung my climbline around the back of my saddle. Do that a lot too where theres no rigging and Im stripping them out from the bottom up. Or I'll stuff the climbline in a backback so it doesn't get buried down below. Its actually a very quick way to get the tree down.

Back