How long do you think these would last ?

• Thread starter ClimbingFool
  • Start date
  • Replies 34
  • Views 4K
I hear good reports on them for a sport shoe, but I can't see them for work. I need something a bit more sturdy for my work environment.

I've had similar...very comfortable. I never thought of working in them, things without ankle support. If anyone followed the link on the Japanese tabis and purchases a pair, I'd be very interested in how you like them, which I am certain you will.

I prefer a lighter weight footwear for any climbing that doesn't include spurs, but my idea of light weight runs a far cry from that sort of shoe. A just-above-the-ankle day hiker sort of boot for me, thanks.

But then, my everyday leisure shoe is of a similar type, so I'm not really average, I'm sure.

The Five Fingers are nice, but with a few caveats. First, Five Fingers is the only brand that makes really nice ones, the knockoffs are garbage. Second, your feet arent used to the lack of support, generally going 'barefoot' with your footwear takes some getting used to. Third as far as climbing goes, I know some people that wear them rock climbing, but they are posers. They lack the support (last) underneath your feet that pushes pressure from your toe to your foot, so for rock climbing, unless you are really good AND have really strong feet, you wont be climbing anything hard in them.

All that being said, besides looking funny, they are comfortable and nice for hiking, watersports, etc. I dont own a pair, but I have worn them and my good friend Mike swears by them. I would think for tree climbing they might be nice, but only, as others said, in a rec setting. You might get away with it on prunes, if you run the show; but where I work that dog doesnt hunt. The idea of wearing them with spikes as you likely agree doesnt make much sense.

If you do pick them up, check out this and other resources for sure. There are helpful tips on the medical/training impact of 'barefoot' activities.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barefoot_running#Health_and_medical_implications

I have had three or four pairs if these. I think Nike stopped making them for awhile, but there continued to be a big demand, so they might have started again. Definitely my favorite shoe for casual activities, sooooo comfortable and light. They have the split toe.

Attachments

• xl308662023.jpg
    xl308662023.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wasn't thinking about getting a pair, just wondered what folks thought of them. I'm an over the ankle type of guy no matter what I wear unless just being leisure. Although, being they have a fairly firm sole I could see how some avid climbers would wear them for pruning.

Used both of these in the past and enjoyed them both for rec climbing and pruning. The la sportiva lasted a bit longer but the fiveten gripped better in the tree. As well I have a pair of shoes similar to the five fingers but without the dorky toes, just a normal toe box.Would be terrible on the job site. If your buying to run in them, start slow. Maybe a 1 mile to begin with and work your way up. Many stories on the web of severe shin splits and stress fractures. I took mine on a 5k to start and suffered later. It's a different style of running.

http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/48-guide-tennie

www.rei.com/product/797841/la-sportiva-boulder-x-approach-shoes-mens

Five-Ten and Sportiva are both top notch companies. Sportiva is more focused on design, while it seems 5-10 is more focused on rubber. Both make excellent approach shoes though that I am sure would be nice for pruning.

Well I wouldn't have any use for them .Besides with wide feet and little short toes I doubt they'd fit anyway .The bright side with fat feet I can walk through some pretty gooey mud without getting stuck .

I use these with a steel shank. They last about a year, stick like glue in a tree or on granite and I can switch from TD and gaffs to pantin and prune with out changing shoes. Light weight, comfy and take abuse.
4156.jpg

http://www.altama.com/products/4156-tan-desert-mil-spec-boot

I am a huge fan of barefoot living, but I use regular aquasocks which I can buy for 10$ and they last me pretty long. Not good for tree climbing though. I think for climbing you need more upper foot protection. any minute I am not in climbing or working I take my boots off immediately and get into my barefeet or aquasocks. I hate being in boots or shoes.

I have some Keen hiking boots I climb in, the sole is only just stiff enough for jamming my foot in a branch junction without it hurting on the sides, I also have a pair of Iron Age (got on sale for $30 in Boston...) steel toe boots for spikes, been climbing in them lately...a bit klunky but ok.
In the UK we HAD to climb in chainsaw protective boots, SIP were the best fit for me.

Back