How do you sharpen saw chain?

Even some plain ol' large diameter dowel that they sell at the hardware store is better than nothing. Break the edges. Maybe cut it to short lengths instead of leaving it three foot long. :D

Well the bottom line is if you don't use some type of handle given enough time you'll slice your fingers on the chain or drive the tang of the file into the palm of your hand . It's not if but rather when .

A friend that comes to the house to compare saws showed me he was using golf balls for handles. Seemed real comfortable on the palm.

You'll stop doing that one day.

Even some plain ol' large diameter dowel that they sell at the hardware store is better than nothing. Break the edges. Maybe cut it to short lengths instead of leaving it three foot long. :D

Maybe I'm a cheapskate but I just keep broken rake handles and cut & drill them.

Never used a file handle for even longer than Willie, but just over the last year or two. Three different sized files in my take to job kit. One has a proper handle, one a plastic drill stop over the end, and the other is handleless. Diversity is nice, and I know what I'm reaching for in the bag.

I turn my own handles.

If shipping wasn't so frigging expensive it would be fun to turn a bunch and do a treehouse giveaway.

But they'd end up costing a lot more than a store bought handle.

The forthought of having a couple pre sharpened chains for each saw in the tool box paid off the other day...dying spice tree and a ding in the dirt accounted for one, then a nail in a pittosporum accounted for the second, but having them to hand to swap out looked professional to the HO, he was even very apologetic and worried about the equipment, I could have added the price of a chain...but I didn't.

10* up or 10* down...for stihl chains the former removes excessive hook and the latter adds more hook, especially as the cutter gets shorter, otherwise 90* if all is well.

I confess to using a guide, just never got out of the habit...got to try freehand sometime, see what I can achieve.

Always use a handle, how many people bang a wooden handle on top of the top plate after sharpening to knock off any burrs? I was taught to do it originally, but then later told it doesn't matter, but that was in the UK where the majority of wood we were cutting was soft...I think if I can feel a burr on the top or side plate, i'm going to spend a few extra seconds to tap them off the top and rub around the side with a wooden handle.

That is a new one to me.

When sharpening HSS turning tools, the same burr will rise on top of the edge.

Once the edge hits the rotating wood, it is knocked clean off.

I think the same happens with a saw chain.

Yes stig..
Initially we were told the the burr on the top place might peel back and score the chrome, (dark streaks peeling back from the front edge) causing a weakness, then later I was told it doesn't matter, the burr will disappear once you start cutting...
With some of the hard timber I sometimes cut, what's a few extra seconds to tap off the burr?

turning into a "what do use for file handle thread", corn cobb is the best I have heard yet next to gold ball...

Back