How Do You Brace Yourself When Takin A Wild Ride?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Help yourself in this thread on bracing for violent dynamic bull rides bro!

I ain't no snob, tell it brother.

Jomo

Ideally you want the shortest amount of bodyline side, just in case.

Jomoco

Alright. This also has to do with my pulley saver from Teufleberger doing something odd.

Midway out a 40' horizontal, butt hitching with a whoopie sling with pinto pulley attached. My tie in was approximately 30' above- in a pulley saver— and I was at 45degrees. As I cut, it pops and the kerf snatches my saw chain. I was not letting it go, so the force of the limbs whiplash and the fact that the branch is falling away 4' with me still hanging on, caused me to slap my face and body against the remaining branch.

I'm hanging on to my saw for dear life and somehow managed to pitch it just right that it released. I'm feeling my face for lacerations and pulled myself upright again onto the branch. I look up at my tie in and noticed that the entire pinto pulley and tail had completely come through the captive eye, causing it to turn into a girth hitch. Somehow, the tail had unclipped from my line- "the red clip," and totally pulled thru.

No, I wasn't in danger of falling, but I'm still unsure how the hell that happened. I now had to climb back up and reset the pulley saver.

What I learned from this accident is that I'll never remove the top- leaving a stub that I'm tied into. From the flailing of the branch causing the line to slack and tighten, it could've easily thrown and flipped a loop of my line — causing me to completely lose my main line. Scary stuff.

Was the caught chainsaw the initiator that threw you off balance? Were you one handing?

Jomo

What I'm tryin to determine is whether you had one hand on your bodyline to stabilize with, and the other cutting, like I do?

I'm a firm believer in one handing a trimsaw in certain situations.

Jomo

I start with two hands, since it takes two to start. I start cutting forward, tip end, with both hands, then I release with the right and grab the line above my climbing system/hitch climber — as I round the saw back, then leveling and straight thru. Done to avoid the limb from tearing. Two hands until the saw has a decent kerf to sit in for better stability.

Yup, but when you're out 40 feet from the trunk? You have to lanyard in to make the cut safely.

What else yu gonna do? Take a 40 foot ride?

Jomo

Thought you looked like a Marlboro man MB.

edit: was that for me or MB?

I must be on LSD or somethin cuz I didn't type nothin bout no Marlboro man mang!

I was responding to Butch's excellent pic of stabilizing with one hand and cutting with the other.

Jomo

That Marlboro man comment in my #61 post was your comment, right Szajer?

How'd you do that?

Jomo

Crazy chit on the web eh?

Leave it be mate, proof it happens!

Unless MB is playin mind games on us?

Which I seriously doubt.

Jomo

But the pusher man don't care!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zW44IfV0jK0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jomo

How's this? I like to push away with one hand and wave the saw wildly with the other hand all while pelvic thrusting and doing my best Comanche war cry. Just kidding, I only stiff arm the tree. :)

Back