Honey Bees

My brother raises Bees. I passed along that vid and he just said, "Wow". Thanks for posting.

Nice looking hive with the joined corners like that. I'd like to make one if I knew how. Not sure what is going on inside, but I bet you could set up for it and crank those out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think it's called a box joint. Standard on most boxes. The frames are the new part. Somehow it opens the cells from inside allowing honey to drain out.

John, the windows on the side are just cosmetic then, not part of the able to drain apparatus?
Having windows is pretty unusual, isn't it?

Box joint, that's it. You can jig up for that easy enough on a table saw.

...had some Bees Nest in hollow old Sugar Maple. Honeycombs of natives are much smaller than European Hive Bee's. Same exact shape less than a third the size.

All honey bees here are European . No native bees here...."white mans fly"

There are several varieties . Some make smaller cells. Feral bees are just wild euro bees.

I don't know why they did windows...bees don't like light, so maybe they can close them...dunno

I might retro one super to see how they work. The frames are the revolutionary part

Do they close up the hive at night to make sure there are no bees flying around, when they extract the honey?
If not, how do they keep them from going bananas when they find the honey that is pouring out?

Do they close up the hive at night to make sure there are no bees flying around, when they extract the honey?
If not, how do they keep them from going bananas when they find the honey that is pouring out?

My question too. Pics show open jars. Would be mayhem once they figure it out. I bet you can drain into sealed container. Lots of unknowns........but a damn cool concept. Extracting honey from comb is where most of the work is.

I have three hives ordered, due in April. The guy who sold us my SIL's and daughter's house left one hive for my middle daughter. That'll make four hives we'll have. Should begin to harvest some honey next year.

If you're asking me, Jay....no. I have three "hives" ordered. I take three hive bodies to the lady's house, and she exchanges three frames in each body with frames from her hives, which will be full of larvae. The larvae will hatch, and each hive will create its own queen. Supposedly the best method of buying hives.

Do bees twist off when honey comes out of the hive?

Not when honey comes out of the hive, but when they come upon large quantities of honey.
They see it as a supreme food source, way easier to get than nectar, so the finder will rush back to the hive and dance the " Extreme food source" dance.
Then they all show up.

If you get a bee into the ( bee tight) room where you centrifuge honey, you have to kill it.
If you let it get out, it'll fetch all the others and you'll have a gazillion bees trying to get in.

Why I wondered about the video.

Are you pulling my leg? You have to kill the scout bee?

Nah, that was just me being blood thirsty.

You can detain it in a semi secret facility in Cuba for years with no acces to a lawyer, waterboard it and eventually set it free without a court hearing.
By then it'll have forgotten it's evil ways and be safe.

On second thought, killing it is easier and less cruel.

There are some reviews of that automatic honey through a tube "Flow hive," where how the apparatus works gets discussed a little. The objections raised, seem to be predominantly philosophical ones.

Back