High Vis Clothing

Nick…

Cotton ones are great for warmer parts of the year at sierratradingpost.com (look for the Gildan brand) cheap, like $2.30 on sale

or

Breathable type material on ebay (think Carhart brand, but maybe google it) find those on ebay for $20 a pop.

HI-Viz 4 LIFE

Except in fall in decidous woods, when EVERYTHING is orange!

Very true Stig. II remember our foresters put in blue ribbon tape for our logging boundary lines when ever we had a lot of hardwood mixed in with our softwood.
Blue is not a natural color in the wilderness of the Boreal forest so is easy tp see, but in conifer softwood fluorescent orange rules.

I'd rather be dirty and alive than tidy and dead.

Pardon if its a repeat story, I tell it frequently.

I had to fight SPs to go hi-viz. Now its their SOP.

My neighbor was run down twice. Last time, permanent disability after years of litigation, steel in hip, brain injury.

If its not a busy street, I take it all, except enough for a dually emergency vehicle to breeze through. F*&^ the bad drivers, any drivers that stop to complain get the story about my neighbor. Polite, but not apologetic. I also like a big piece of steel in front of the work zone for texting drivers and the like. Cones are just a warning device. A chip truck stops people. People seeing all the safety measures on the work site either understand or can F(*& off.

A giant sign on your truck is going to get you much more visibility than shirts, IMO. I was just on the phone with a mortgage person. After telling him my email, he asked If my trucks were green and white, and had seen them running around town.

15" letters across the highest point of the bed www.SouthSoundTree.com, 8' long. You are seen across the top of every parked car and most trucks.

A mobile billboard, and quality service, with a professional appearance. You are supposed to be getting dirty. Clean clothes for a scheduled bid. My $.02

For urban work on busy streets my lime yellow shirts I get from Bailey's is a plus and alot of people tell me my shirt is really bright.

But the best traffic control I found when the orange pylon cones aren't enough is I'll stack some large diameter rounds on top of each other at the start and end of my pylon row. Those big barriers give those crazy drivers second thoughts of crowding my workspace.

Apart from the usual cones I've often said to leave a few branches laying about the place rather than clear them up, gives them a bit of a clue!

I had one crazy driver who wouldn't wait for me to clear a limbed and topped spruce I had laying across the street.
With his car he pushed the top about a hundred feet down the street before he was able to drive over top of it.

I don't understand all this problem keeping your clothes clean. It's like nobody's ever heard of bleach and letting them soak overnight. I wear khaki pants and white shirts every day and I'm Mr. Clean.

I thought bleach is murder on clothes. Making colors bleed, and eating holes in material.
How much bleach do you use?

Nick, reflective stripes are great for night, but sunshine will deteriorate their reflectiveness.

You must use bleach wisely. I use about 3/4 cup for whites and just a splash with coloreds. Also, you've gotta fill the washer 3/4 full, add the chemicals, mix it up a bit, then add the clothes. I wash my whites at least three cycles, then let them soak overnight. I let ALL my loads soak overnight. The next morning I run them through one more cycle and finish.

I've never ruined clothes using bleach.

I don't understand all this problem keeping your clothes clean. It's like nobody's ever heard of bleach and letting them soak overnight. I wear khaki pants and white shirts every day and I'm Mr. Clean.

I agree, I put my Orange shirts in the washer and the come out sqeeky clean

A giant sign on your truck is going to get you much more visibility than shirts, IMO. I was just on the phone with a mortgage person. After telling him my email, he asked If my trucks were green and white, and had seen them running around town.

15" letters across the highest point of the bed www.SouthSoundTree.com, 8' long. You are seen across the top of every parked car and most trucks.

A mobile billboard, and quality service, with a professional appearance. You are supposed to be getting dirty. Clean clothes for a scheduled bid. My $.02

:rockhard:

ground workers seem to be a lot harder to hit in hi vis as they stand out so well,:D my preference is for all cotton, I find it more comfortable and easier to repair.

Nick, the reflective stripes are for night time visibility. They are worthless during the day, and need to be combined with a high vis background.

Reflective for dusk/ dawn/ dark, and hi-viz for daylight. Its amazing how easy it is to see guys in the dark with just a bit of light.

Even considered building a flip us sign frame for the top of the truck, but it would be to much hassle for me, especially with the website already up there, and it being a tall truck.

I use Hard Yakka and Regency hig viz shirts...poly or poly/cotton blend.

They come in many different combinations of colour blocks that mix Hi Viz with dark blue or green. The best ones have a dark colour on the lower half of the front of the shirt and from the elbows down. That's the part that gets dirtiest the quickest so the dark block hides it all, yet you still have enough hi-viz to be seen and/or be legal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's a sweet deal.

I decided we are gonna pick a few brands, buy a couple of each and check them all out, pick the one we like, then have our logos thrown on them.

$10. Yeah- I'll try it out!

love
nick

Back