high angle rescue book?

BeaverMonkey

TreeHouser
Anyone know of a book about high-angle rescue work that applies to tree work? I've found a few, but they all look like they're meant for urban fire departments or spelunkers...
Thanks,

...agree with Butch , hasn't been written (yet) ... Hawill's supplies the Tram / Chairlifts industry if that helps... Every Fire Dept. that could even access the Tree and Climber still had to make it up on the spot. Especially if the poor bastard is pinned by tripped work.

From what I gather, there tends to be some disagreement on how to go about this, due to the fact that no two incidents will be alike.

Those people who write the certification standards and perform the testing, will find themselves in somewhat of a legal pickle if they create a standard, test to that standard, then find out that somebody was hurt or killed because the standard didn't cover some particular situation.

So it's far better not to train anyone on anything?

Joel

A fine line for sure with each situation. Joel after my recent AR class I think that training should be implemented. If for no more reason than to be comfortable with the feel of that limp unconscious mass.
Time is of the essence, critical if upside down. And suspension trauma happens fast. A one hr window for the victim to have made it to the emergency room is "best practice"
And no offense to big Jim but the 911 that shows up has many protocol to mind in a rescue like this if you are at least at the victim when med help arrives that can greatly assist in making that best practice possible. That may just involve securing the hazard zone below.
The situations are endless unfortunately.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's frustrating! Even a general book on the subject, or one that just presents various techniques that have worked and are applicable to arborists would be useful! The books that I've found that are more for urban rescues or for fire departments or whatever almost all focus on large equipment, or things like rappel racks and backboards and things that it's fairly unlikely an arborist's crew is going to have access to out in the woods. Seems like there should at least be a pamphlet about "here's how you go up the climber's line, or one set right next to it, and pick them off their line, and come down safely."

I used to always climb a basal anchor that was rigged to a rescue 8 so that my wife could lower my limp, unresponsive corpse down after I do something stupid. Then I had a pretty close call with severing the line near the basal anchor from something that I don't think anyone could have ever foreseen happening, so I've gone almost completely to canopy tie-in-points... which made me start thinking about how someone/emergency services might be able to fetch me down in the event of a debilitating accident. Pretty bleak really.

With Duke we had to perform pole top and bucket rescue annually and while tree scenarios might or might not involve energized conductors, they would be similar. We didn't have a book dedicated to pole rescue, only a page or two in the safety manual. There are videos on pole and tree rescue, but it sounds like you are looking for an in-depth volume on the subject. Any other tree guy could rig someone down but with the volunteer fire guys here, as big as their hearts are, you'd probably be out of luck. I'll have to ask one if they've had any aerial rescue training, it would be good to know.

Rskybiz,

I recently completed my EHAT (Electrical Hazard Awareness Training) training. I was told that in order to become a certified utility pruner, I'd need to complete my CPR training and an aerial rescue class. Well, aerial rescue isn't something that's taught around here, so I was told that since I own my own business, I could perform an aerial rescue and either video it, or document it for my records. I'm not sure about that. I'd really like to attend an aerial rescue class, limited in situational training as it may be.

Joel

I did hear that as well at the class. It covers you in the event of litigation to some small degree. I would contact Tcia as they run the one I took. Get together with the local fire dept. And do it as a group class I'm sure that would count as well as I can now sign off on others who take the test and submit it.
Also I know you live far from chapter events bit just watching AR at the comps is enlightening.
Some pertaining info from the front page of my booklet hope it helps.
c62cb503e7cf1af21d449bcf7e2a9bf2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
would love to get my hands on any sort of notes or training materials! If there were any other climbers anywhere around when I was working I would totally set up some 'test' runs to figure out the best way to do it, but since it's just me climbing and the wife 'grounding' I'm SOL on the rescue front. I'm sure the local fire guys would get me down when the got there, but we're 25 or 30 minutes away probably, and I have no clue if they've got that kind of gear standard on their trucks.

Back