Hey Jay!

My guess is that it is still burning away, but we all know that if it is not in the news everything is just fine and dandy.....

Thanks for asking, Butch.

The reactor site first i guess, simply because it get more news coverage these days, barely more than nothing. Cleanup continues, but basically because they have never had to do it before, they need to make up the program as they go along, and some things they aren't able to figure out, like what to do with all the radioactive contamination, for instance in the massive areas where topsoil is being scrapped off, so they put it in makeshift warehouses where conditions are far less than ideal. Out of sight somewhat out of mind, but with reactivity, what you don't see can kill you too. There have been deaths of people right there at the sight that chose to accept the risks and do their duty in trying to get things under control when the accident occurred and thereafter, courageous, but to a large extent it was quite futile because things did blow. You hear different predictions about when they expect to complete the cleanup of the site, sometimes twenty or thirty years or longer is estimated. Guys working there apparently are making good bread, short shifts and constant monitoring. Unless some problem arises like a leak somewhere in piping, or there is some special program, you don't hear that much about it. It is still very newsworthy, but the ongoing situation reflects badly on the current government, basically the same blokes are again back in power as when the reactors melted down. Some different faces and names, but the same party of useless schlubs. There was a big thick report that came out some months back, telling why it happened and who was responsible. It didn't pull any pinches, even the general public was given a share of the blame for being so complacent about the electrical power situation, not demanding a higher order of accountability leading up to the catastrophe. The biggest blame by far goes to the power station owner, Tokyo electric, and also to the government authority that was supposed to oversee the operation. Both groups were in each other's pockets, cushy high paying jobs where people would be going back and forth in employment at both outfits. Can you dig it, regulatory people going to work for the power company at some point, and vice versa, a swinging door of job opportunities. Let's do lunch? A fine thing when public safety is the ultimate concern.:roll: This timely report is going to be good I thought, let's watch the politicians squirm now in front of a pissed of populace! That big fat report was on the news for ONE DAY, then it was like it never happened. It should have been the headlines for weeks if not months. Nobody was ever held accountable for the lack of safety measures and attempt to coverup the severity of the situation, that I could see. A few blokes were allowed to retire at full pension with stomach problems. Unfortunately, the mainstream press is nothing but yes people to the big shots in government, it's a real problem, and one reason that little gets accomplished in managing the country. You do hear that they are raising the electricity rates to pay for the humongous expense resulting from this. The ghost towns are just sitting out there in the sun and rain. They let people go back for short periods to collect possessions, but I don't think more than a couple hours in some of the more distant places is allowed. In the shadow of the reactor is a no man's land, the roads are blocked off. The displaced peoples have scattered throughout the country. You sometimes hear the moaning to want to go back to the only life that they ever knew, especially the farmers and fishermen, most will probably be dead before that becomes a possibility. The country moves on around them, while many can only sit and wonder. Children with their resiliency seem to have been able to make the transitions to a new life. What is going on in the surrounding ocean waters isn't much being talked about. The fear factor is still pretty high when it comes to eating fish from that part of the coast.

The tsunami lands are still much desolation row. Some sole tree blossoms in the midst of the otherwise wasteland, and they want to make a national monument out of it....a sign of hope. There has been some rebuilding in certain areas, but the vast majority of property has yet to be surveyed and the infrastructure of sewers, water, and electricity, is non existent. Lots of people would be wanting to go back and somehow rebuild, but is it safe? Nobody can say, another big shaker and it could be a repeat performance. It isn't entire futility, some people have clawed their way back and shiny factories can be seen, along with other rising developments. I hear that carpenters are needed. People still have the same needs, where there is settlement, shops serving them too are coming back. Some people have remarkable undying spirits, but the areas of positivity are still only here and there within the locations where the waves swept through. Like in most natural disaster I guess, it is the elderly that suffer the most. Many are lost it seems. The temporary housing that was provided is full up. I haven't heard of anyone going homeless, some provisions have been made, or thanks to your own efforts, but government support has been fairly minimal. The country is broke and getting broker, the new plan is to borrow huge sums to stimulate the economy vis public works projects. I fear that these are the same projects where politicians get their pockets stuffed as well, the grand scheme of things. It's a hard working country and Japanese people can still make great efforts when under duress, it may take many years, but the country I expect will right itself at some point. Currently, still much feeling the effects of the one two punch from such a monumental disaster.

My own situation, far enough from the disasters that you don't see the immediate effects, things pretty much appear pretty normal. I might meet someone from time to time that relocated here from the north, they being happy to now live in an area not so prone to large quakes and the ocean far enough away. Little in the way of typhoons directly hitting either, once in awhile a cyclone warning is about all, and a warning never seems to lead to the real thing. Since the quake, the country has become warning prone. I'm waiting for them to warn about people always giving warnings. Business is still slow however, woodwork and tree work, things trickle in from previous customers, but I can't remember the last time I had a new person to work for. I've checked, the phone isn't out of order! We live as cheap as possible, my wife cut off the beer ration about ten days ago, until this current job in the shop brings in funds. Still, hanging in there in a good fashion, I think. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's a great report, Jay. I would think Japan couldn't afford to lose so much living area? I guess there's no choice in that matter...

Nope, they are waving a par of red underpants at a charging bull, going by the policy that doing something is better than nothing...people won't accept nothing. A bunch of college boys directing operations, not at all cut out for the stress level and superior thinking that is required. You can see them on the tube trying their best to look composed while saying to themselves....."Oh, this is not what I learned in school". Some big nasty shat going in there, I tell ya, and they don't know exactly what it is. Fearful!

I worked for a nuclear plant for 10 years, and they had a library with video of the Trinoble nuclear disaster that the public never saw...made me sick! What their gov't hid from the people was unspeakable. I can only imagine what is being withheld from this disaster.

Did anyone see the radioactive pig story? http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2013/s3726673.htm

Wild pigs, some weighing more than 220 pounds are flourishing in the nuclear evacuation zone.

Trapping isn't working and the hunters don't seem to be getting anywhere.

Makes you wonder what else is breeding madly in there, rats and monkeys maybe. Don't think I'd like radioactive animals running around where I live.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DAXIWEgK7Jo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not good. A future conversation:

Father: "You ready to go hunting, boy?"

Son: "Yep, Dad, I've got my rifle, let me get my radiation meter." :(

Same thing around Chernobyl apparently, wild animals in abundance and have free reign. Wolves have come back to that area as well. Here pigs have no predators, their numbers are bound to grow.

After Chernobyl, the gov't slandered its beef, (highly contaminated) and distributed it throughout so everyone got a little contaminated beef...As apposed to one region getting a high dose. They poisoned their people. Fukushima has probably done the same in different ways.

The farmers pulling out slaughtered their cows for the most part, I believe. I don't think it was distributed. There was much a ban on meat, fish, and produce from the area, at least at the time. Not sure what is happening with that now. Some people might be desperate trying to slip it through for the badly needed money.

Some crazy stuff going. I wonder how pigs are living with all the radiation? I know pigs are used as a base line in testing human products but.....????

Steve, it is really a god awful serious mess. The tanks are leaking and the contaminated ground water is rising. Workers are getting exposure in one day that is equivalent to years under normal circumstances. Some of that very high radiation content water has to be getting into the sea, and at some point that may be the only place left to put it. It really is beyond the capability of the power company to handle the situation, but they won't admit it. It is rmore an international problem now. Their people coming on the news giving apologies for the worry with their obligatory bow, are starting to seem more like robots. China is letting it be known that they are rather unhappy with the situation, as Korea has done earlier. Fisherman all up that north coast, unless there are lies on the packaging, I don't see how they can possibly find a market for their catch. We've extended the range from which we won't purchase fish caught in the region. Government is complaining too, but as usual forgetting to mention their own involvement in the debacle.

Back