Help with Ford 330 on my Chipmore

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
Does anyone know what this is suppose to work? I assume the metal chain should be connected, but we used this chipper this morning and it worked fine. I think I should reconnect it but I am not sure how tight to make it. Does anyone know? I am sorry about the bad pics but it was the best I can do.

The part that the chain should be connected to says "Solenoid" on it....

Anyone have any advice? solenoid.jpg Engine chain.jpg

Is it part of the Governor system?

The second picture has the chain running from your hand on the right across to something that seems to be there, but not visible, before turning downward. What's going on there?

Did the chain break, or just become detached?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The second pic shows the chain connected to that bar that runs across the top part of the engine and then bends 90 degrees down. The chain is connected to that and the extra is just dangling down.

The chain didnt break as far as I can tell, it just looks as if it detached from bouncing around in tow or from engine vibration.

Looks like its governor-like, as compared to mine. Maybe its just part of the throttle. What happens when you activate the the mechanism manually while running? How was it attached on the right side. Looks like the adjustment would have been on the left, with the right being an end of chain termination???

I do think its something to do with the governor but I am no mechanic.

I also thought it would be connected at the end but that just seemed way too loose.

That lever (green arrows) moves when the throttle lever is moved,but not proportionately. I didnt notice the chain hanging loose until after we had shut it down for the day and I didnt really care enough to start it up and move the solenoid lever to see what it did.

I got a better look at the picture. On the right side, is there still a ball from the chain at the right side termination. If it broke at the last chain between balls, then it might be just a matter of reconnecting it at right, and slack out one ball/ chain length from the left, if it worked properly with the previous setting.

Thats not part of a ball that broke. Thats the "cup" that you put the ball into to lock it in place.

I am glad that I am not the only one here who really doesn't understand this mechanical stuff.

I am glad that I am not the only one here who really doesn't understand this mechanical stuff.

Far from it.
You learn as you go.
'Common sense' comes from experience with specialized situations, observation, and a healthy dose of information from knowledgeable people.

I'm not even certain what a Ford 330 is although I've heard of a 332 which is an old truck engine and also used in a '59 Ford car .

I think that chain is part of the governer which I assume to be a bolt on unit .

Some of those old governers were just a spring loaded carb that kept the carb at idle which the gov pulled against .I'm not sure though about that one .You might have to Google it or find somebody who knows for sure .

I had to look at it again .If it's just the connector gizmo you can buy bulk ball chain at Lowes and probabley the connectors as well if that's all you need .Matter of fact I just recently bought some myself to fix a toilet flush valve .Freakin toilets ,the suns- a- b's are always causing problems .

What you say about the spring loaded carb makes sense. I pulled on the part that the chain fell off of and it pulled out and then automatically went back in.

I guess I will just attach the end of the chain to where it looks like it came from and see how it runs.

From what I found in the past, the Ford 330 is just the 8 cylinder version of the 300. It was used in lots of UHaul trucks, as well as lots of F250's and even Expeditions.

Finally, I Googled all sorts of things about this solenoid thing and I came up blank. There are way toooooooooo many pages about selonoids out there.

Thanks for the help so far.

That engine confuses me because it's definately not an "FE" engine nor is it a big block .They made some industrials like the 361 and 391 so I suppose it might belong in that grouping .

Evidently they must have been dropped from the line because I saw the last of the big blocks ,370,429 and 460 .Fact my name is on the very last 460 ever produced which is either in the Henry Ford musium or the Smthsonian .

When I get some time I'll delve into it because I have parts books that go clear back to stuff made in the 30's up until about 1980 .

Back