Help identiying?

Fiddler

Treehouser
Wondering if anyone can identify this new stranger on my property. Been to several sites looking for info but haven't come up with anything yet.

P6150026.jpg P6150025.jpg P6150027.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't know. The 3rd pic is of the most mature buds.

thinking you're correct, it's been years since I've seen one and at that never saw more than a couple.

There are many here. Could be a Catalpa bignonioides.

Flowers should be like these

catalpa.jpg

wait a little bit more and we'll see.

was looking for better pics of the leaves on the web ....maybe you're more lucky

No pods visible. Leaves are opposite three at a time. Seems to be fast growing as I don't remember seeing it above the weeds before and it is now 10-12' high.

I remember cutting Catalpa, very light and brittle if memory serves, but must not have had the leaves on it, as i would remember 10" leaves.

We have a mulberry that has huge leaves, kinda fuzzy as well. The wood has milky sap in it and they are messy to cut.

not yet, but I am up in Michigan. White Mulberries just got leaves you can see about two weeks ago.

It may be the cultivar: C. bignonioides ( Nana catalpa )Also called non-flowering Catalpa.

Bloom time is mid-late summer and doesn't happen frequently.

FWIW catalpa was planted in groves at one time in these parts .Close proximity so the trees would head for the sky nice and straight .Along with osage orange and black locust it's a very good wood for fence posts as it resists rot .Of course the days of natural wooden fence posts are long gone but that's the way it was .

Nick, one is about 12', another 15', each has a smaller one growing a few feet from it. They are a woody plant with a bark and so I am assuming they will be a tree. I don't know of many things that height up around here that aren't trees except maybe Hog weed.

Also, I was reading they are full sun type plants but these are shaded quite well most of the day by several other trees. wondering if this might slow down flowering...

We have some Catalpa here, and Paulownia, certainly not native but they can hold their own if the climate is reasonable.

Attachments

• Catalpa feb 26 07.jpg
    Catalpa feb 26 07.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 1
Purdy.

Dave,

You have much hog weed there? A moroon neighbor planted some years ago for an ornamental. It has spread to his next door neighbor and they are trying to eradicate it. Nasty stuff. It makes poison ivy look like kid stuff.

We have Hogweed here in spots trying to get established, teams of eradicators run around trying to find and eliminate it. Definately a bastard of a plant, skin burning, blindness... yikes.

We were trained to identify it and report it when I was clearing transmission. Not a lot of it around but did find three patches of it while working one summer. Nasty stuff.

I just whacked about 10000 plants of hogsweed last week. Best way to do it is to cut the seed stands off befor the seeds mature enough to be able to germinate.That way the plant thinks it's job is done, and dies.
Nasty job, though. I have to wear full raingear, rubber gloves and a face shield. + cover any exposed skin with factor 50, since just spending all day in the vapours of the sap will render skin hypersensitive to light.

Only good thing about the job is the price.
The county had their own guys do it the first year, and I get paid for the same amount of hours that they used.:)

Around here, working for the county means you work a little faster than somebody who has been dead for a week.

So I make out quite well.

I thought I would just use your thread for this Dave as the title fits.. I feel kinda silly as I should probably know this tree...
Ash? Green Ash possibly ?:|:
The leaf count does not seem correct ... But the ladies trees are not in the best of shape.

Attachments

• IMG_0787ed.jpg
    IMG_0787ed.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0792ed.jpg
    IMG_0792ed.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0785ed.jpg
    IMG_0785ed.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0788ed.jpg
    IMG_0788ed.jpg