Heli tree removal final vid

Well, according to my Kiwi wife, there are 2.2 pounds in a Kg.

So 900 time 2.2 is 1980 pounds. That is a good load for a small helicopter hovering out of ground effect. Probably did not have a full load of fuel on each time either. Or depending on where he was in a fuel cycle and what the temp was, he could increase his useful load.

I love helicopters!

Was it a Eurocopter A-350?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
sorry guys i still haven't found out the model but it was a damn impressive machine. that pilot was an absolute legend.
we had a lot of important people from the city of heidelberg and countless other spectators from forest and arb companies, who were all focused on my workmate and i in the tree but our job was a piece of cake compared to what that pilot was doing. He really made us look good.
I have mad respect for heli pilots now after watching them work.

Nice explanations mate and the added info from the other posters. Would love to do a heli job one day.

I remember once doing a poplar removal in Kent, UK. One field over was really open and suddenly a military Chinook came over the horizon circled around me a few times and then proceeded to practice touching down in the field next to me. He was so close I could make out the pilot. He did this about 5 or six times, came in and hovered for about 45 seconds a metre of the ground and then took off again. I can only assume they were practicing manoeuvres as it was just after the second Gulf war kicked off.

The noise and down draft from the rotors was immense.

It was a shit job and I was gesturing to the pilot to drop a line so I could attached it to the tree, cut it at the base and he could drop the bastard in the sea...

He never did lower a hook. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice explanations mate and the added info from the other posters. Would love to do a heli job one day.

I remember once doing a poplar removal in Kent, UK. One field over was really open and suddenly a military Chinook came over the horizon circled around me a few times and then proceeded to practice touching down in the field next to me. He was so close I could make out the pilot. He did this about 5 or six times, came in and hovered for about 45 seconds a metre of the ground and then took off again. I can only assume they were practicing manoeuvres as it was just after the second Gulf war kicked off.

Thanks Rich , the power of those rotors are something else eh mate.
If we had a chin hook we could have done the tree in probably less then three picks haha.

The noise and down draft from the rotors was immense.

It was a shit job and I was gesturing to the pilot to drop a line so I could attached it to the tree, cut it at the base and he could drop the bastard in the sea...

He never did lower a hook. ;)

Cheers Rich , yeah the power of those machines are crazy mate, if we had a chinook i doubt it would have taken more then three picks haha.

Back