'Heading' for Health

treelooker

Treehouser
The source of the confusion is that 'heading cut' has 2 definitions. One is 'internodal' the other is 'to a lateral <1/3 the diameter of the parent.' Unless this definition is clarified, confusion is inevitable, and the 'heading cut' concept will misguide more than it guides.

I write (and follow) pruning specs all the time, and have never needed to use that dinosaur of a term. I apologize to those studying for a test. nothing's perfect.

o and the attached is some research that seems to indicate that red cut would not be the right one.

Attachments

• Reduction Size Matters g&g 0711.pdf
    126.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Reduction diagram topping vs. heading.jpg
    Reduction diagram topping vs. heading.jpg
    709.1 KB · Views: 31
Interesting.
The way our tutor put it to us was in reduction pruning to aim for a gradual 'taper' avoid sudden changes in angle or drastic reduction in size in a short distance.
Also, leaving as many small side branches/twigs as possible/practical in the reduced branch.
I would agree that the red cut is not the most optimal one for all the reasons stated.
I have often observed a 'collapse' of tissue below some big pruning cuts or branch tear outs. Decay columns that go right down into the root zone.
It stands to reason that every time we cut a branch there is an amount of hydraulic collapse, so mitigating that with placement and selection is part of the job.

Back