Hang Gliding!

Nobody asked, but FYI, way safer than paragliding.

Nate, really cool thread and information. You are much closer to this, so could you elaborate on your comment re safety? I used to fly a weight-shift trike several years ago and have recently been thinking about paragliding.

I need something that could land slow. I also like the fact that I could bundle it up into a backpack or strap it onto the back of my motorcycle or in the sidecar.

So I would like to know if I am overlooking something. You seem pretty well-informed. The Koyot is the wing I am interested in.

http://www.niviuk.com/eng/glider_product.asp?prod=koyot

Dave

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think paragliding (PG) is really cool. You can turn tighter in a thermal, catch lift easier.

You don't have as much penetratrion or glide ratio when you are flying a bag vs flying a wing.

You have no internal frame in a PG vs a HG. It is a ground handling/transportation advantage but also a weakness. PGs can and do collapse.

PGing is a newer sport and I believe as the public awareness of the dangers of PGing increases (just as it did for the early and more dangerous hang gliders of the 1970's) the participation numbers will decrease. Unfortunately, without putting a frame within a PG canopy, you can't "fix" the negative safety issues of PGs. Their unique design is their greatest advantage - as well as their most serious and fatal flaw.

But yes, flying a PG would be fun. The Koyot should be good, it is a DHV 1-2 wing.

You'll never catch me flying a bag. ;)

Thanks for the response, Nate.

I tend to heavily research things prior to investing and have always found it wise to ask for the counter view points on any product. I am well aware of the downside of "bagged" wings. Though I do believe the design wizards are achieving better results.

Freedom costs, as in all things. To be able to pack a glider into a small package and self-launch from a hill is a pretty big plus. Also the country where I live and where I would like to fly is extremely rugged with very few landable spots in the traditional sense.

Thanks again for your input.

Dave

True enough, you can hit small landing areas.

There are thousands more paragliders than hanggliders. I think the wings ability to collapse is being reduced and their ability to recover is increasing.

Oh and Montana...big sky...if you have a collapse, it is only and issue if you are close to the ground.

Right now I am enjoying the HG way too much but on days that are too light for HG, I start wishing I had a PG just to increase my flying window.

Currently I am also starting lessons for my private pilots license so time is short.

Everytime in in Europe in the alps there are hundreds of paragliders.
Its likthe skies have to many almost

I drove a little toyota up. It is parked under a tree.

When I land I hike back up. It is only a 400ft hill..... (that is a mountain here)

We often leave a car or have a chase driver.

Like a lot of things, it isn't the money, it is the time......

Lessons $1100
Harness (used) $200
Parachute (used) $200
Helmet $50
Hang glider (used) $1500

Buuut once you are there, then you will eventually want a variometer (tell you if you are going up or down), GPS, new wing, it goes on and on.

A parachute deployed by a static line can be effective under 200'. A static line deployment is how most paratroop jumps are made. Paratroopers typically deploy from low altitudes via static line to reduce hang time to a minimum.

Stand up, hook up, shuffle to the door
Jump right out and count to four
It my main don't open wide
I've gotta reserve by my side
If that one should fail me too
Look out ground cause I'm a comin' through

It is flying, not falling. When we take off, we gain altitude and get out! The only limit to height is how high the thermals are climbing and the FAA limits us to 17,999ft.

The hill may be 400ft but I have gotten several thousand feet over it. 3 weeks ago a pilot got 8400ft over the hill...... The distance record from the hill is just shy of 100 miles.

Under 400ft, our chutes aren't useful but lots of times we are plenty high enough. This vid shows me core into a thermal and climb 1200ft over the hill, 1600ft over the ground.....
http://www.vimeo.com/5284652 (posted earlier)

Back