Hand Saws

GemCutter

TreeHouser
After hearing for years that Silky saws were about as good as it gets, I finally spent the $$ get a Silky Tsurugi Curved 330 Hand Saw (6.4 teeth/inch) to use around the yard and my woods. I had previously used a little folding Bahco Laplander (7 teeth/inch).

My impression of the Silky was that it did not cut nearly as well as I had expected. Yesterday I took both saws up an oak tree to do some minor deadwooding and confirmed what I had thought. On up to 3" branches, the little 8" Bahco out cut the longer Silky with ease. It leaves me very disappointed in the Tsurugi.

Anyone have a recommendation for a saw in the 13" range that cuts better than the Silky?

Handsaw

I have the Zubat and after Fanno, I have not looked back!

Zubat, it's like my third hand, feel nekkid without it.
I tried a Sugoi for the first time last summer, definitely for bigger branches and trunks, it's too coarse for small stuff. I used both on a cliff clearing job, I think I used the 200t for one tree.

The biggest?

katanaboy.jpg

I have a Sugoi, but rarely use it.
If I have to cut something biggish, I reach for the T200.
I have a Zubat on my saddle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A little more reading tells me the Tsurugi (and I assume other Silky saws) only cut on the pull stroke which I suppose makes sense with the longer blade, while the little Bahco cuts on both the pull and push strokes. This leaves me hard pressed to find a use for the Silky as the smaller saw out cuts it on < 3" limbs and I won't normally be pruning anything larger. Why does "live and learn" have to cost so much?:spin:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a zubat and sugoi. I prefer the zubat in most all instances. The toothpick my employee calls it.

I put new blades in my Zubat and Sugoi this week (thanks Tree Stuff!) Oh what a delight! Sometimes you don't realize how much of the edge was gone until you have a new blade.

Extra caution for fingers and forearms though...keep them out of the 'zone'!

Back