Great White Sharks!

vharrison

Island Girl
My daughter and her husband Jeff (the Master Arborist) flew from NC to South Africa last Friday for their vacation. Part of the trip was to include getting in a shark cage with the hopes of seeing a Great White Shark. Well, their first scheduled swim was cancelled earlier in the week, but today they got to take the plunge! I have only received texts so far, but she said they saw three Great Whites, one of which was 12' long :O:\::O Not sure which of the three, but two of them bumped the cage.

Jeff took some pictures and I hope he will post them for yall to see. I think he was going to take his Go Pro, but not sure if he got any video from that, but I hope so. :\::\:

Now, neither one of them is new to seeing sharks in the wild but neither have been in a cage and neither had ever seen a Great White.

The next part of the vacation will be spent going on a Safari! They are staying at a place called Elephant Plains Game Lodge. I googled it and it looks very nice.

not sure I would put myself in that situation. I get closterphobic, not sure how I would fare being in a cage with a predator around me.....

On our March vacation in Punta Cana my family and I snorkeled with a school of nurse sharks and that was un nerving enough.

Unfortunately, you can't even tell if huge quantities of radiation are going in there. A very high dilution rate.

Oh no! Not for me! I saw Jaws I know what a shark can do to those tin cages, sink boats, and eat your captain.
Either way I bet it was a cool experience.

Pretty sure a Great White will never get me.

Biggest ever tagged here has been cruising around Perth lately. http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/b...australia-off-coast-of-wa-20140410-36eqx.html

1104shark.jpg

Here's what one shark can do to another. Imagine what it could do to us! A big bull shark attacked this 6 foot blacktip I had on the line. Pretty nasty

IMG_0108-2.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow, those bull sharks are freaking powerful. I was yellow tail fishing off the 7 mile bridge with my folks and one followed my catch right to the boat, he was massive. I mean massive.

My wife and I were parasailing near Naples and we looked down and saw a gigantic shark. She almost fainted.

Whoo Hoo, here is the video!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/H-h7qRXIX28" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That would be an awesome experience alright.:\:
I always wanted to see South Africa , looks like an amazing place. They make really nice red wine too;)

That's pretty wild V but chumming and getting into the water, even in a cage, just goes against my grain. I hear that one of the radio tagged whites is headed our way into the northern gulf. I stay topside except for some scalloping and a little shallow water spearfishing. My son and daughter are certified divers and they want me to get certified as well. I tell them what they are is certifiable to go down there where jaws lives, then I see the big bulls in three feet of water here in the bay (saw a whopper at Dog Island Saturday). They say you're more likely to get struck by lightning, I don't know, the thought of a shark bite just gives me chills.

I hear you Ray.
I have a friend who's wife sister (tenuous I know) got a dream job as a marine biologist, anyway she was snorkling one day and was attacked by a leopard seal, dragged to the sea floor and drowned.
You might ask what is the point of the story? Probably that being killed by a large predator in its own environment is certainly in the top 3 of the ways I don't want to die.

I hear that one of the radio tagged whites is headed our way into the northern gulf.

Actually, there are two headed your way. They are very close :O:O:\::\::O; Katherine and Betsy. Both were tagged in Cape Cod. Go to Ocearch.org and you can track them. Interesting track Katerine has taken, she went from way out in the Gulf Stream and made a almost direct turn to Sebastian Inlet, what the surfers there call Shark Pit. She came by Marathon, down around Key West and now is up by you. :/:

Back