Gratuities come in all forms

RickyTree

TreeHouser
Topped out a small maple on a bigger job the other day and left up the stub. Noticed that there was a hole and came down. Cut down another tree that was to be removed. Was cleaning up and decided to cut the spar down. On the way down about 7 chipmunks came running out, or what I thought was chipmunks. All of them had jumped off the spar to neighbouring trees. This one was on a small sapling then decided to jump over to a larger tree where all the rest of them went. It tried to make a lower branch on the larger tree but the sapling was too short. All of a sudden the thing stretched out and flew on to the tree. Flying squirrels. Then got the HO out to tell her and one flew down the hill and was going through trees and then disappeared. We couldn't stop talking about it, and will be in many conversations that I will have in the future. Did feel real bad about cutting down their home though.

I had a similar experience, posted somewhere in the forum, but in this case the squirrel rode the crane pick down then jammed up another tree before taking flight. Apparently, evicting them from their lodgings is about the only way to see them during the day. We have two types here, a smaller and what they call the Giant flying squirrel. Amazing creatures. i was impressed with their fur, beautiful shiny, and uncanny how they can glide with abrupt changes of direction. Rather muscular wild looking fellows when seen up close.

The worst thing I ever did was cut off the tail of a poor raccoon that was in a hollow limb I was popping off.

Do you slow down for squirrels?

Not around here we don't... I killed two this last week, didn't even hesitate on the gas pedal. I left them for the vultures, next time I will scoop the body up, bring it home, and throw it on the BBQ.

I never cut a animal in a tree but I chopped up a family of bunnies when I was on a mow crew back in high school.

Tree / limb removal equals habitat destruction many times.... often wonder how they feel inside when the work is fell. Loud and surprising I figure.

My Dad and I watched a flying squirrel come running out of the tree we had cut as it was falling. It sailed to a close by tree. It is hard to believe how much control they have of their glide.

We had a bunch living in Mom's front yard. They are fearless to the point of being vulnerable. We climbed up with them and they weren't concerned at all.

They are frequent finds here, often in the young stages of life. They are quick! It's always a joy to watch them glide away.

I've encountered flying squirrels twice in the last three weeks. Before that it had been a little while since I'd seen any.

It's cool to see one above you, but to me it's even more awesome to look down from above on them gliding out below you.

I did not know that. The only ones I've seen were in daylight....but then my current duties were likely the reason I saw them.

Yea, they get pretty active when the lights go out. Could you hear them communicating with that high pitched sound? It took me a couple of days to figure out that it was them making it.

Yes on the squeals and squeaks. I gave the pair and cage to my friends little girl, she loves them!
On my way to pick up steel this afternoon and saw a completely black (grey squirrel?) I did a double take as for a moment I thought it may have been a ferret or weasel.

we have quite a few black squirrels. Mutants, I guess. They were in the city of Niagara Falls and have spread about 20 miles.

If you get a chance to climb with flying squirrels in the dark it is a blast. They are cute little buggers and don't seem to mind people climbing with them.

Black squirrels aren't mutants, just another variation on the squirrel species. I had one as a pet, for a while. There are fox squirrels, cat squirrels, gray squirrels, ground squirrels, all sorts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
One did fly over my ground guys head. He loved it just as much as I did. Wicked control and don't lose much altitude between spans. Very amazing little creatures.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I got a tip for any living thing in a tree thats got me in it, make like a tree and leave..

My bud and I were cutting trees out of my woods a few years back about this time of year. I dropped a tree that was hollow and busted up pretty good. It had a squirrel nest. One died and 2 survived. My bud put them in his shirt pocket while we finished working. One died in a week or two but he kept one for quite a while.

I hand fed two little red squirrels from a bottle a long time ago .They thought I was their momma .Little rascals bit everyone but me including the cat .They lived about 5 years in captivity .

Long time ago I sliced into a nest of bats in the top of the fattest soft maple I have ever seen in my life ,54" .About early March ,cold but sunny .There they were in a snow bank still snoring away .They must have awakened and flew off some place .

Back