Grand fir wreck

RegC

TreeHouser
A quick Grand fir removal from last week....just at the back of the clients garden. Only thing we had to avoid about was the surrounding trees and keeping the debris within the invisible boundary between properties. Lots of messy branches to strip on the way up the main trunk....pretty easy thereafter. Thankfully the pitch bubbles were all still frozen from a cold spell we had the week before.

Last outing for my Drift camera. As well as the screen, the helmet mounting is also smashed so I stood it on a tripod in the tree, and balanced it on my shoulders for the last 3 shots also. Enjoy the vid, although there’s probably not much to say about it. Hope you like, The King!

Use HD setting

Video is apparently blocked in Germany, sorry.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mPnVK0s8LDM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reg,
you almost make it look "easy", I know that's not true at all. ;)
Thanks for putting in the effort to make the videos and share your love for the work. :thumbup::)

Randy

Good share..I find it instructional seeing how you set up the cuts and move around the tree...when roped in and when felling the spar. I see great attention to detail in setting up the cuts (sawing some lean into the face), watching for falling "stuff" at the felling cut. The fist tap to finally seat the wedge and then the tree falls....:D

Looked like you had to climb a ladder to retrieve the camera.

Smooth, indeed.
If you take the extra time to bore through the hingewood, it makes a topless spar like that a lot easier to trip, without losing any accuracy.
I usually bore from the back as I cut it ( shorter bar style) so it doesn't even cost me any time to do, just swing the bar tip through the middle of the hinge on the way round.

Nice one reg, always enjoy and learn from your videos.
How is the attachment of the new tops on a topped grand fir like that one? Looks like you were tied in elsewhere anyway.
And good thing about the frozen pitch bubbles-quick way to trash a lanyard.
Jon

That was awesome.8)

Reg, is that your normal, natural work pace or do you sometimes have to take an iron grip on your aggression and tell yourself to slow down a bit, to be methodical and precise? You are a poster child for "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast" :thumbup:

Btw, if the pitch bubbles hadn't been frozen, what tricks do have to keep them from trashing your gear?

King Reg, great work, liked that you mounted cam on branch, good view perspective.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys, pretty straight forward when alls said and done though.

Thanks Stig, thats a neat trick. I used to do that a lot in the uk, especially since we mostly had to bring the sticks right down low before we could flop them, as the majority of jobs were very restricted. At least here there's generally lots more opportunity to leave them tall so they tip easier and break off clean.

Jon, some of the regrown tops are bad but generally workable at least. You can always guy them together if in doubt.

Cory I'll leave the dashing around to the bell-dingers, mate. After I'd stripped out the main trunk on the way up, the tree was down in probably less than 10 pieces. Thats not bad going on a multi top tree. Careful cutting was the ticket. There's a very old joke about a young bull and an old bull, its makes a good point if you care to google it.

Nothing much you can do about the bubbles. A lot comes down to luck. Some people try cover or wrap part of their flipline, but I dont usually bother. SRT is probably better than the constant sliding motion of DdRT if you're moving about the canopy. Whatever.

Butch I did start that tree wearing gloves but they were soaking wet and squeaky within 20 min. I cant listen to squeaky gloves.

Ha, I keep gloves in all the needed locations too.

I just noticed you're sporting a Kolibri, Reg! Nice. I recall trying one on in Honolulu at the 2007 ISA conference. Liked it quite a bit, especially those semi-stiff leg straps.

Back