Goodbye logger boots!

Joezilla11

TreeHouser
Big, clunky, heavy... No more! I wore these salewa rapace today and am so impressed I had to take a second to snap a pic of them in action! Light, sturdy and I really felt more productive as I wasn't dragging heavy boots around. Very comfortable in spikes. Top of the list for favorite purchases I've made. Think I've found my new all purpose boot!
image.jpg

There's a place and time for a full-on logger boot...up a tree really never has been that place, except for spur work and that was before decent sole support of fiberglass or resins came along. I'll never wear my White's aloft again, and have not in more than 10 years.

Not necessarily a really bad law...but one I'm happy to say that I don't have to abide.

Which is a different thing than a good climbing boot vs. a good field boot for rough territorry. But nonetheless, I hold my position.

Wool breathes, brother...and doesn't soak up your sweat. That makes them cool in summer and warm in colder weather.

All summer, warm, even hot weather, wool socks have been my choice for decades. I don't wear cotton socks, except for very rare occasions when I wear a very light shoe for town. Wool is the way.

I have those salewas that I use to prune in. They are great shoes. If I wear spurs for a hour or so my arches ache. So for wearing spurs all day I'm choosing my lineman boots.

Forgot to mention I wear smart wool socks at work year round. I wear the mid top hikers or the ski sock that comes to the knee for my linemans.

Just to show how I trust and rely on steel toe boots, take a look at the cut on the toe of my logging boot.
9 out of 10 times if you cut your boot the toe cap will get it and the left foot at that.

I can say this from experience making a living with a saw going on 40 years now. In that time I only cut my foot once when I was 17, while limbing with a 24" b/c [which I shouldn't have been using, 20" max for our timber] I got a kickback and cut my left ankle. My saw cut right through a full Kevlar boot, would have been a lot worse if the boot was only leather.
On the subject of socks I wear Helly Hansen synthetic in summer and their thermal in winter, superior company for outdoor clothing. Headquartered in Oslo, Norway. Founded in 1877.

20140530_094928.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
REI had an anniversary sale for $223. These are def worth the money! Especially considering u get a boot that's good on spurs, spur less, and on the ground. I read somewhere that treestuff can order them but I was in a hurry to get out of my loggers so I didn't look into it. They also come with a 2yr warranty but I haven't read the details on that.

Look light and breathable but I think I personally would destroy them. It takes some good cowhide to survive me. I destroy everything that isn't quality leather.

20 dollars.

$ 20 shoes from a good cowskin leather? Cool! My shoes are made ​​of linen cost 50 dollars. I work in these shoes 2 months, and do not see signs of destruction. This model was developed in collaboration with one of the fighters of special units for training and participation in competitions of special units in a triathlon special purpose as well as in competitions on special training counter-terrorism units and therefore should be resistant to workloads. Though actually I had doubts about their durability.
Forgot to mention that these shoes have soles made ​​of a special polypropylene. At very low weight these shoes quite tough.

No. It was easier to throw down whatever number came to my finger tips then banter over whether its cheaper to buy cheap boots five time or expensive boots once. Its a "which came first, the chicken or the egg" discussion. Im hard on boots.

Id love to wear them. Comfy soles. I ruin them with ground work and such. Herman Survivors? I once owned Herman Survivors and they were like pillows for my feet.

Back