Gear Maintenance -- how do you & how often.

Szajer

alive with pleasure
I'm referring to the smaller items, saddles, ropes, carabiners, etc....

Since I sweat like a madman, I'll either bucket wash or take my saddle to the laundry mat. I'm worried that the salts will start to destroy the stitching, or subtly break down the nylon fibers in key places.

My carabiners, snaps, lanyards, blocks, pulleys, etc. I soak in soapy water, scrub with a Park bike brush, dry in front of a fan- finish off with a drop of bicycle chain lube. I do this every month.

As for my climbing line, once every two months in a mesh rope bag at the laundry mat with mild detergent. Dry on a large towel in front of a fan.. Work lines get a twice a year washing....

My father had instilled in me, to purchase the best- to avoid buying crap twice. He also taught me to maintain and care for my things as well. Glad he did, now I do too.

My harness just went in the washing machine...helmet gets a scrub when it gets a bit pongy...
Friction cord and loop runners go in the machine every so often.
Climb rope in washing machine, water only though, no detergent. No set time.
Biners get the visual and tactile check every time they are used, if one is a bit sticky that's when it gets a clean.

We used to wash our rope but it never seemed to make any difference and we get new rope every year or 18 mo anyway. So now we never wash our rope.
We check all of our gear pretty throughly every time we use it. Any problems get addressed right away. We have so much gear that we can always swap a piece of equipment if it's not functioning properly. Gear is cheap compared to the consequences if something breaks due to faulty gear.

You mentioned buying good gear and taking care of it. I totally agree but to me taking care of it means storing it properly and using it properly, especially well within its working load limits. We make great efforts to run rigging lines and climbing lines through blocks, pulleys, cambium savers and the like whenever possible. That, along with storing and using the rope out of bags, keeps the ropes in very good condition. Every day ropes usually get retired around a year to 18 months, while our heavy rigging lines get retired as needed or when we want to try something new.

Basically, we cycle through gear enough so that it's always in very good condition. And while we are using it, we are as respectful to it as we can be.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Lots of inspection, downgrades when necessary...clean and lube anything that opens and closes. I have honestly never washed ropes or saddles

poison oak means a bucket wash.

ropes rarely get washed.

SRT makes rope wear less.

I don't get very pitchy, either, by and large.

I wash my ropes if they get good and muddy or too wet and dirty.
Helmet with out comm goes in the dish washer less the drying cycle.
Biners... graphite... good brushing and scrubbing if gritty. Always checked to close and not get hung.
Never washed a saddle.... coming up on replacement time though for the Cougar. Some new leg pads would extend it some. Brush the velcro out.
Maintenance on trucks, saws and other mechanical stuff happens on quiet weekends or rain days. Sharpening chain and chipper blades also unless we are so busy I have to do a couple each night.
It's a never ending thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Helmet goes in the dish washer
Never washed a saddle.... .
I'll bring my helmet in the shower with me, we make a great singing duet. :)

My saddle definitely needs it good living here. Dew point and humidity at 80% with 95+ temps = lots of sweat from me.
I'm completely soaked my 10:00AM. And nothing drys here in the summer.

My boots/hiking shoes will get scrubbed in a bucket of soapy water every night if they're really soaked with sweat. I had purchased the Max Boot Dryer and it has been a life saver! Once cleaned, I'll use the dryer, set it on high and also use a small fan to really get them drying.

I can't stand dirty, stinky boots. :(

I wear a biolevel 4 suit for climbing and stay away from the native hookers when working in Africa. That way I never catch Ebola or Aids.

What do you mean " disease problems" in the trees, population, mad cow disease............................?

We spray stumps with a solution of phlebiopsis gigantea spores when thinning conifers, to prevent amillaria.

Back