Gardening - Growing Your Own.

It's only after breakfast, but for it i had some some soybean soup with eggplant slices in it. Our usual morning thing and very good. With it some salad with lettuce, some finely grated cabbage, a little green pepper and onion and a few cherry tomatoes in there. Then I had an ear of corn. Corn productiion is sporadic, I don't have it everyday. Sometimes kale in the soup, it's good that way. Had a scrambled egg in the salad, and two pieces of toast and a slice of cheese. Vegetables will vary, but that's typical. Salad for breakfast is more an Asian thing, I believe.

Took some used to salad in the morning, but Kewpie mayo is really good here, a dab of that really helps. Dressing at night.

Would be a big change from coffee and cigarettes!

The only breakfast veggies I typically eat are taters, bells and onions.

Took some used to salad in the morning, but Kewpie mayo is really good here, a dab of that really helps. Dressing at night.

I don't dress at night.
I sleep nude.
With just a dab of Chanel No 5.

Jay, I'm getting more and more into the way you eat over there.
If my 60 square meter poly tunnel plan for next year comes through, a LOT of lil' tender veggies are being consumed for breakfast and dinner, here.

stig, being able to at least have something fresh during the winter months would be cool, I guess a tunnel could help with that. I wonder if there is anything to the statement that eating out of season vegetables (in your own location) from another place isn't so good for you?

No, tunnel won't do anything about wintertime.
But, it'll alow me to fill my two big freezers in preparation for italong with gorging myself all summer/fall.
Then it would be out of season vegetables grown RIGHT here.

Does make a difference, honest!

On a nasty winter's day, when the wolf is howling at the door and you make some fresh pasta with frozen, homemade pesto and some thawed up tomato sauce..........That feeling of the wolf being at the door just goes right out the same door:D

I grew a lot of Basil this year, easy to do here. A number of plants got thickly leafed and large. Ended up with nothing to do with it after my wife made some pesto. It takes too much olive oil, she said. I hung the Basil up to dry, use to as a spice on pizza or something.

Jim, I've heard that the healthiest diet is eating things that can be grown or foraged in your local climate in that given season.

I would guess that it may have to do with your genetic makeup a bit as well, think of all the fresh veggies that your Inuit ancestors eat in December!:D

Joking aside... eating an orange at 8,000 feet above sea level in January just never seemed right. I eat mostly meat and potatoes in the winter.

Our diet does not change much through out the year.

The only difference would be canned, store bought, or fresh veggies.

I remember reading a story of a load of oranges flown into an Inuit village years ago.

The kids had never tasted anything like that. Hard to think that some remote Inuit kids shouldn't have an orange once in a while.

A person could eat like a Plains Indian, but it would shorten your life pretty severely.

May not be much to the out of season thing, but I have read some points about it. Crops getting shipped a distance have to be picked earlier when there are lower nutritional levels. It takes more effort to grow things out of season, so possibly more chemicals involved. What is available in your area at the time supports local farmers. I've read other reasons, but those were at the organic health food sites ;)

Horrific propaganda sites!

No doubt that it takes diesel to transport veggies, and there is nothing worse than a mechanically harvested tomato.

We eat a lot of canned veggies, store bought. The wife/fuhrer has decided that she will put up with a lot of my shit, but canning the season's harvest is not one of them.

I was not aware that veggies are grown out of season. I just thought that they were transported great distances.

For the record, I am really, really down with the local source deal. Did you know that North Central Montana is the primeir spot in Montana for carrots? No? Neither did I.

A bunch of different factors keep us from growing them. (big GOVT/business)

The nationwide agricultural enterprise here where the vast majority of growers take their crops to be auctioned for market, has such a high standard for acceptability. My neighbor used to grow cukes, but anything but straight ones within a certain size and without any blemishes, he couldn't take to the enterprise wholesaler. It's the same for his asparagus now, No doubt that encourages the greater use of chemicals to grow pristine looking vegetables. Guess where the farmers buy their chemicals......and the money that the farmers get for their produce gets deposited automatically into accounts at the agricultural enterprise bank. They've got the farmers corralled.

That's totally how it is Jay. You need to grow large numbers of perfect looking veggies to make money at it. However the consumer is the ultimate designer of the food system. The whole system will adapt to deliver whatever the consumer wants in the most efficient method possible.

Back