From our August wind storm, a failed hemlock

rbtree

Climbing Up
I'm been chilling it for months...not very motivated to work all the time... some nagging injuries, sore spots..... at 66, I can't go all day every day the way i could when I was a whipper snapper...damn it....

Anyhow, the first is of a small hemlock which landed on a house. Lots of trees around to set rigging.... and did use four of them, all at once! GRCS and Hobbs combined made the job a breeze. Including a tag line, we had four (or five?) lines on it. Would have been one more, and another block, but I chose to provide the primary lift/support by utilizing just one line, in a double whip tackle configuration...block in a maple, down to a sling and block on the fallen tree, up through a natural crotch in a hemlock and terminated at the ground...so no need to climb or even Wraptor up that tree to retrieve any rigging.

Watch on YT, full screen and HD....
https://youtu.be/Zsf8scs9kFk

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Zsf8scs9kFk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lookin good Rog!

Prop's to yu for not editing out the embarrassing moments we all experience and learn from.

Roger that!

Jomo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Such as? Me not wearing chaps? Patrick taking a ride? He was prepared for that.....but wasn't sure the butt would stay in place, thus he didn't lanyard into it. I knew it wouldn't move much, as I had it securely rigged.

The cottonwood in my next vid was a whole different ball game...... I don't recall ever having to cut anything that long in that fashion with that lean ( especially since it should have been much closer to upright......it all had to go right!

Right at the 4 minute mark when he lost/threw his saw, yeah. Didn't rattle him much and he recovered nicely.

I hate saw lanyards and always have except for specific large saw block downs, never on my trimsaw. When Pat's swinging and playin around after his Black Cottonwood bull ride?

No less than three hangers trailed down his body line to entangle him! One unseen hanger trailin down on yu while you're cuttin's all it'd take to really mess up your day up there, and a few weeks afterward....

Jomo

Anyone who hasn't made that kinda cut and slip up is still in the rookie stage.

Nothing wrong with that! Git er dunn!!! Sometimes you've just gotta ride that pony! :beer:

Pat has great balance and was fine with that hemlock ride. good time to let go of the saw. It's surely happened to me more than a few times. Hence why I'll always use a saw lanyard. As far as the cottonwood swing.... all those little pieces that his line broke free were acceptably small---- for Pat, who's chiseled like iron. Wouldn't have wanted that first dead one falling on me, that's for sure! We'd checked after the big top was lowered. No hangers of any size were up there.

And we were. Butch...After the cottonwood, we went back to the house that had the hemlock on it in the above video. Had to take out four 9-18" maple trunks that had foliage over the house., with the main tree right behind.... I set a rigging line in a small codom--It was not strong.....After mid tying the first smallest trunk, which I almost handled myself both cutting at the ground and running the friction, I again mid tied the second 12" trunk which was much heavier and had a 35 degree lean over the house. Then, I noticed the gin pole spar also had some defects. Warned everyone that the rigging spar could fail, and to be in a safe zone. I gingerly cut it off the butt, and, as it was butt heavy, was able to cut several more before we grabbed the two slings on the butt and worked it to the ground and free. Had the spar failed, the most that would have happened would have been a bent gutter, if that. Still, I was wishing for a stouter rigging point!!

The customer had a rather common name...so, I didn't believe he was a reincarnation of that Jackson fella with the white shoes.......

michae10.gif

nice to see you posting vids again rbtree
your climber looked good to be!
like he has be in a tree a few times.
where you tied in some how on the roof?

Hi sawman.

I wasn't tied in. At 4-12 pitch and clean comp shakes, it had good traction.

No worries, mate. It's always safer to tie in, by whatever method, when working on a roof.

My roof (house or chip box) rule is that you only ever move your feet when you are looking at them, unless something goes wrong, of course. Too easy to step on a slick spot or a little piece of tree that can roll under your foot. Take the blower up with you early, blow frequently.

Back