Friction saver for climbing.

Looks awesome and looks like it works like a charm. It also looks like it wont get hung up that easy.

You can also add a quick link to the tail for an even easier retrieval. But I just use a quick link and a piece of throw line. Or a knot. Mood dependant. Our grey pines can be bother some in how big the plates of bark are and how furrowed they are. You can lose a 1/2 rope in some :lol:

That's way better than my sling setup, I'll be building one of them sooner than later, thank you for posting the pic and explanation.

Man I got to learn how to splice
That looks real tight rajElectric!!!!
Wasted the winter.mate next winter?

I spent a couple hours last night in the splicing forum last night and know the information is great. I'm only hoping I can make them look that good.

Thanks!

IMHO a good start for 16 strand splicing is 1/2 inch AllGear Neolite, with some patience it almost splices itself. It seems the cover is smaller and a bit looser braid. For Life support I will only remove 4 pairs for the taper instead of the 5 pairs. Would be good practice and may be get some dead eye slings while you are at it. Samson 1/2 inch arbormaster is quite a bit tougher, it has strands of solid nylon running through it. It's also a smaller core and tighter braid, save that till you have a few splices done and put them to work. I've yet to splice any other 16 strand, no idea what they are like.

I'm actually gonna try Yale blue moon since that's what I climb with. Going to order a short length so I can practice and most likely send some to be tested. Also want to make some slings out of Samson rigging ropes.

Double braid, I think it's a tighter braid as well, never done that rope. Don't try any tight eyes to start on a DB, give yourself a good 6 inch eye. IMHO try the first few DB splices on Samson 11mm velocity, it's pretty easy to do. I like to use the New England instructions with a full fid taper bury for life support.

I used to eye splice 1/2" double braid for our sailboat halyards...we had 10 of them. Got so I could do them without the instructions once I got to the third or fourth one. Long bury, whipped throat, stainless steel thimbles.

Need to regain that skill....sometime.

Back