Fort McMurray

Too bad the hot weather season doesn't equate with the high humidity rainy season like we have. Lots of forests and lightning, but very few fires. When one does occur, it doesn't much take off before getting a handle on it. A good thing in a mountainous country.

That's an amazing story! Thanks for the link. I think about how apocalyptic the dust bowl must have been when that was going on. Truth be told Jim, I firmly beleive that no matter your stance on the theory, your conscientious stewardship of your land is doing more to solve the problem the my cutting down the declining canopy of detroit. I try to plant trees but everyone just wants little ones anymore.

My take is that humans are always going to consume resources, always. How we produce and consume these resources is the real difference maker.

I guess canopy makes a big difference, heat and shade wise, but as long as you are growing something, every bit helps. Are they still doing that urban agriculture in all the abandoned lots? Even planting them to grass is beneficial.

Yeah, my wife has four lots in cultivation, she is specializing in herbs and flowers this year. Detroit has gardens all over the place it's pretty neat. I actually had detroit raised sausage for breakfast. There is a fish farm, lots of chickens, there is a dedicated woodlands for timber. Some good things happening.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good to hear.

My take is that humans are always going to consume resources, always. How we produce and consume these resources is the real difference maker. .

Now that right there sums it all up just about perfectly. Well said Jim.

BTW, watching a news clip again they mentioned thousands of dead trees helping fuel the fire, are they right?

It is a cataclysmic conflagration to the people there at the time in Ft. McMurray .

In First Responder training a Mass Casualty Incident is practiced with lots of injured people laying around (trainwreck, plane crash, etc) and you learn to triage victims.

In reality, an MCI is 2 or 3 people if you are the only Responder on site at a bad car crash. Being overwhelmed is not about how big something is...it's about how many resources there are to react to it.

It's no campfire if you are fighting a 380,000 acre inferno, or treating the people that do. Nor being the son of someone in that line of work when they finally came home, extremely heated up brooding and red as a beet from another world. My old man was the most irritable sob for a few days. I'd say to mom, "What's wrong with daddy". She'd always reply the same way, "Honey, your father has been up at a fire". :(

I can only imagine, Willard, after such a huge fire that massive reforestation efforts must have followed. And so it should. By today that new forest would be 28 years old.

In prime growing areas, here, the natural reprod following a clear-cut, or even a burn, can easily reach 60 feet in 28 years, but then this is coastal habitat, too.

Last edited:
Back