Ford v. Chevy v. Toyota

Buy which ever one you have good dealer support for. I drive all fords. For 2 reasons. 1. I love Fords. 2. my uncle who raised me is a Senior Master Technician for Ford and works at our local Ford dealer. The parts manager at that dealer has become a good buddy of mine after i bought a vehicle off of him. So at this current time, I NEVER pay for labor, and rarely pay for parts.

But, if there comes a day I turn on Fords, you bet I'll be rockin a chevy or 2. Chevy makes a sweet, hard workin truck. It's just not economical for me to drive Chevys with the resources i have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hear ya on the dealer support. But we have a great mechanic friend who works on big trucks, but since we're friends with him he makes an exception for us, so any way I go I have a great mechanic. Plus, he's parts guy can get the same part cheaper than a dealer.

Ford trucks are not made in Mexico ,small Lincolns are though .

In spite of how geography may list it ,I don't consider Mexico as North America .

I know absolutely nothing about Toyota trucks but the autos seem to be pretty good .

For my money it would be a Ford or Chevy .Buy what you want though ,it's a free country or at least was at one time .

On my '97 f150 it said on the VIN "Made in Canada assembled in Mexico".
I just went out and looked at the '04, nothing of the sorts on the VIN tag. So I can neither confirm or deny it.

That's news to me .I figured the pick me ups were all made in Kentucky truck in Louisville . I'll go check my '97 Ranger --brb

Well the damned thing could be Mexican .Now days the f-150 is either Kansas City or Dearborn Mi.

You know they have plants in Australia,they sell Fords to Australians ,no problem .In England ,the English make them and buy them .In Spain ,the Spainsh make them and purchase them .Fine,great .Creates employment helps everybody out .

Now this shit of making Lincolns in Mexico,Mexicans don't buy freaking Lincolns unless they are drug dealers for heavens sakes .Those damned things come north .

I'd rather employ a Texan making Toyotas as a Mexican making Linclons .That sucks .:(

Are you hauling anything heavy with it the specs say F 150 3000# Toyota tundra1590-1900# Quite a payload diferrance. If your not hauling then I guess its a moot point.

Well the damned thing could be Mexican .Now days the f-150 is either Kansas City or Dearborn Mi.

You know they have plants in Australia,they sell Fords to Australians ,no problem .In England ,the English make them and buy them .In Spain ,the Spainsh make them and purchase them .Fine,great .Creates employment helps everybody out .

Now this shit of making Lincolns in Mexico,Mexicans don't buy freaking Lincolns unless they are drug dealers for heavens sakes .Those damned things come north .

I'd rather employ a Texan making Toyotas as a Mexican making Linclons .That sucks .:(

Didn't mean to get you fired up Al, I just remeber seeing that on my old truck and thinking "Oh, thats odd!".

Didn't mean to get you fired up Al, I just remeber seeing that on my old truck and thinking "Oh, thats odd!".
It doesn't take much to light me up .Just mention Mexico and US automobiles and I'm lit up like a Christmas tree .

Say ,I wonder .What would happen if Toyota moved to Mexico .Would the Texans go with it .:?

I mean what the heck it is cheaper labor ya know ,no unions either .Do you suppose if they did such a thing though that the Texans would be as proud of them as they are today . That might prove to be interesting .:lol:

Al, in response to your "would Texans go for it" regarding Toyota products made in Mexico... I would think they would. Texans are like you, we buy value and maybe like you look at the "made in" sticker years later. Our relationship with Mexico is different than a lot of States due to family ties, geography, etc. As you might remember I work at the Toyota plant making Tundras and most components come from the U.S. We have 21 onsite suppliers making seats, doors, instrument panels, brackets, etc. The Engines come from Alabama and transmissions from Virginia. The exception is the wiring harness and frame which come from Mexico. Most fasteners (bolts, nuts, grommets, etc.) are from the U.S.
Toyota spent 1.3 billion dollars to build this plant and close to that in Mississippi (on hold for now but will open when economy turns around). We also have plants in Indiana, Kentucky, California and design offices in Detroit. The local economy was given a huge boost from the plant... millions to the local school board, new houses purchased by plant workers, over 4 thousand new jobs, etc. So if you want to buy American, do exactly what James suggested ...purchase a Tundra and Toyota ADR stock...problem solved, but if you don't like Asian names on the back of a vehicle made in America, by Americans, not asking for a goverment bailout, then you will have to figure that one out on your own.

Well,that's all cool .I look at it like this,a Lincoln made in Mexico is Mexican .

Ford closed a couple of assembley plants stateside and built several in Mexico ,that sucks . The engines may be made where I work but it's still an import as far as I'm concerned . I'd own a Toyota or Honda before I owned one of them .For me to say that pains me but I just cannot support a product that intentionally put my fellow workers out of a job .

I actually thought about buying one before I bought the Mercury last April until I found out where it was made .Too bad ,it's a neat little car just built the wrong side of the Rio Grande .:what:

For what it's worth though I do like Tex-Mex food if that accounts for anything .;)

Politics aside, I have enjoyed my '08 Silverado 1500. 53k on it, with only one dead battery, a dented driver side rear quarter panel(3rd day I had it), and one broken window(friggen thieves).

It's a lot cleaner today since I washed and waxed it.

Attachments

• SDC10050-26%.JPG
    SDC10050-26%.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 3
I've got a F350 extended cab, 4x4, and with the 7.3 liter diesel. I had a tranny guy modify the transmission after the original pooped out at 205k miles (not bad at all). I like the truck a lot. My only beef is that the Ford Diesel engines are loud. Not only is the Ford a work truck, but a family truck. I can't talk to my wife or kids until I have reached a cruising speed.:what:

Chevy Duramax (with Allison transmissions) are super quiet. And from other people's experience, they say the Chevy Duramax's are better. I don't know.

However, when Toyota comes out with their diesel Tundras, I think they will capture my attention. Toyota has a good reliable reputation and combine the benefits of a diesel engine, I think they will convert a lot of "All American" guys like myself.

BTW. I own a Isuzu FRR chip truck. Don't tell anyone.:/: FWIW. The Isuzu has a Duramax and Allison transmission.

I like that cap, but it would be nice if it didn't apply so much more drag with that bad front design.

It's basically a rolling brick. I average about 15.5-16.5 with city/highway combined daily average, with an emphasis on city driving. Solid highway I can go about 500 on a tank. This is with a 4.3l V6.

I like the sound of my 2001 Cummins. It is louder than stock because of the 4 inch exhaust from the turbo back and the Afe air filter. I do not want it quiet like a gasser.

Back