Following up on estimates

Typically I don't followup on estimates. Partly because more than 75% of the ones I provide are accepted anyway. But also because I prefer to leave it in their hands. It seems if I take work from people who all have the initiative to get back to me on their own, it's indicative of folks who may send referrals and call for repeat work on their own accord.

As one who gets an occasional estimate, I don't mind a followup call as long as it's not like 2 days to 2 weeks later. Otherwise it feels like the contractor may be in a pinch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wasn't sweating the loss of work to lower bids. I was just explaining why I haven't had good luck on follow up calls. It always seemed to come down to pricing.

So a bunch of follow up calls can perhaps help you land a few jobs, but also give you key info on why you didn't get the jobs, so you can adjust future estimates if you choose.

No way. Not dropping prices. I charge fair, and I do my best. Not looking to waste my career by working for competitors rates. Most of them are as broke 20 years into it as the day they started.

What time frame would you want them to call you back?

Ideally ... never. I prefer not to answer calls that have no real purpose.

If I have the info requested, which is the estimate, all that's really needed is for me to call and hire them or not.

But I can understand where someone might be curious whether they are out of the loop so they don't hang onto paper work.

Hopefully they give it at least a month.

I think you are crazy not to do followups. If you are slamming busy and have a killer backlog, then sure. If your arent billing 50 hrs per week, at your target billing rate for all your people, then you are not realizing your earning potential. I would say charge more and earn it with your salesmanship. In any sales interaction the sale can be 'won' even at a higher price (sometimes impossible obviously as there are pure price shoppers), it takes effort and structure to do so though.

Setting up a simple CRM, which can be done for free makes a huge difference in sales management. I wasnt always a tree guy, and managing the sales process was what I did. Having stages and 'set' contact points, with 'form' pieces, makes a huge difference in customer engagement and ultimately conversion.

A Customer Relationship Management system can make all the difference in the world. This can be as simple as an excel document or any number of net/software based graphic-user-interfaces from free and paid service provider. I would be more than happy to share some of my experience with this stuff with any of you guys.

I never follow up with a call on my written estimate I give to a potential customer.
But if I see the job can be a real good money maker to me, what I say to the client when I hand them my written estimate before they get the chance to read it is "I can do this job right now".
This statement seals a lot of my deals, only trouble is a lot of times this puts me in the position of having 2 or 3 jobs on the go at the same time.
But hey who cares try hire a plumber, carpenter or electrician today and see how many jobs they got on the go............and they work a full 12 months a year.:X

Setting up a simple CRM, which can be done for free makes a huge difference in sales management.... I would be more than happy to share some of my experience with this stuff with any of you guys.

I, for one, am listening. I'm usually very busy but being able to land many/most high end jobs would be nice.

Heres one way, I just did this:

Create a form to take in the customer info, a seperte customer oriented one can easy be made up for a website or different advertising pieces and the URLs can be shortened.

Got to: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1_a5ox3nb4M0rUTxv1DtxSM_cCCGOvDfLALMTlQ5g21Q/viewform
Then fill it out, the names and info should be fictitious

You can see the CRM sheet I made up quickly at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AgdhDSgJVv4KdEpQYUpvbDRwTk1jSmVnbF9vak02aUE&output=html

Then go to this to see the analytics on the form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1_a5ox3nb4M0rUTxv1DtxSM_cCCGOvDfLALMTlQ5g21Q/viewanalytics

Try it, the options from here are endless but his is just an example of something quick and easy anyone can do.

Give them a cheap small hand towel with your estimate, and for a little extra have your company name or logo printed on it. Potential customers will still be thanking you in their mind after they close the door. A show of good will carries some weight. It's an old custom, but it just hasn't crossed the Pacific. Wouldn't you pay a buck for a, "He's thoughtful", over your competition? If it doesn't help, you can always use the towels yourself to keep the baby or your saws purdy. Have to say that despite all my efforts, you guys are a hard sell on towels. :? The only difference that I can see between here and there, is that people might look at you suspiciously, so you will have to come up with a good explanation as to why you are giving them a towel. Initially it might be a little confusing, "Oh why in the world would anyone want to give ME a towel, what did I do to deserve it???" I don't think it will be a very serious dilemma for them, and you can blame me if you get swamped with work. :lol:

Jay my wife does house and pet sitting and she had sponges with the Imperial housesitter and her #.
She gets tons of comments and it has made her real good returns in doing so.
Nick, we have been tracking our customers and keeping a database. It is a major help I have found with remembering who the customer is, rather than remembering the tree you removed from the yard.
I use the invoice to go app.

69 sl350,71Bsa650,74Norton850
I live in Fl and hail from Vermont.

Thanks Joel, interesting about sponges as well. I guess that anything for free that is considered useful is thought of as a good deal and aids in making the connection. It can be a helpful lead in when wanting to speak with someone. I am always glad to get a towel, and some particularly generous individual might hand me a couple. :) All you would have to say when people look at you quizzically, is they you give them to people that you meet through your work, something that they will probably find useful. It may not register at first, but when they look at it later it will, or go to use it. Enough about towels....:|:...for now.:lol:

Like Joel mentioned a database goes a long way. keeping notes, consolidated history, personal anecdotes, sending annual marketing, semi-cold calling when business is slow. It can be done as simple or as powerful as anybody can want.

Keeping track of customers is top notch business, but cold calling when slow aint my scene. That's begging, and they know it.

Some see it as begging, some don't. More considerate folks will see it as a reminder of something that needs to be taken care of, and be thankful.

Back