FOGT- Wedge compliment-Gerry, clarification please

O.k. o.k.... All apologies. But Burnham: if we were going by geographical proximity, that would be like calling you Oregonish, and me Washingtonish.

Far as I know, Oregon and Washington haven't been at war on and off since the beginning of time.
Sweden and Denmark are on friendly terms today, but have been at each others throats lots and lots of times.
Calling a Swede a Dane or the other way round is not going to make you popular around here.

I'm joking, actually, but the history lesson is real enough.;)

And aside from that reality, there's the whole funny thing where a person from Russia is "Russian", a person from England is "English", let alone the wonderment generated by one from Denmark being termed "a Dane".

Why is a person from America not called an "Americanian", or "Americanish", for pete's sake? It's an odd thing.

:D

Denmarkanian gets kind of long!:lol:

Languages are fun.

Like the way we each make up our own names for the cities of other countries.

Mocba is called Moscow by you and Moskva by me.(except I studied Russian in college, so I can say it right if I have to)
Sometimes it gets really confusing.

And I haven't even got to the "Holland", " Nederland" , "Dutch" thing yet:lol:

Sorry Stig: Really appreciate the history lesson, and yes, It will make me "watch my p's and q's" a little closer when dealing with what we yanks lump together as "Scandinavians". It's a bit of a tragic reminder too, though, of Humanity's bloody ancestry, isn't it? When looking at a globe, at the Scandinavian bit, as I child, I can remember thinking, "Who in the world divided those Northward-facing lines so neatly between Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and Finland?" I should have known that it was the trusty sword, and not the pen, that demarcated the lines. Where the heck is Skandia anyway? Wasn't that in Beowulf? Didn't he swim over to Skandia, or something, from Jutland, with What's His Name? By the way, are you a Dane, or a Jute?

It's a bit funny for us Yanks who may be--in my case--English, Irish, Danish, German, Cherokee, and Choctaw all at once, to be reminded that others may be of a rather, shall we say, purer pedigree. You'll find that many of us Americans will be (though we're reluctant to admit it) envious of even fellow countrymen who happen to be of purer blood, and so, practice a type of inadvertent, closet-racism. But I'm sure you even run into that sort of silliness where you are, way up there in Norway, eh?

Burnham: Have you EVER used shims? I've always just stacked narrow-tapered wedges even at the expense of one of em' spitting out hard. The shims wld seem to make a lot more sense although it wld require carrying a lot more junk through the woods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
cut wood blocks out of your facecut or other solid wood rather than carrying around shims to remote locations

And aside from that reality, there's the whole funny thing where a person from Russia is "Russian", a person from England is "English", let alone the wonderment generated by one from Denmark being termed "a Dane".

Why is a person from America not called an "Americanian", or "Americanish", for pete's sake? It's an odd thing.

I'm from Baltimore so I'm a ... Baltimoron :D

Now that sounds about right:lol:

As for cutting shims out of the tree you are falling, that is probably a fine idea for an arborist.

Do you have any idea how long it takes me to drop a 120 year old beech?
About 3-4 minutes if I don't have to wedge it too hard.
Cutting a block out of the stump to use for a shim, instead of carrying 3 ready mades of nylon in my wedge pouch would cost me dearly in wasted time.

I have two wedges and 3 shims in my pouch.
During the last 6 months of solid logging, I have had to add to that with wooden shims 6 times.
So carrying shims to remote locations is not a waste of time if you are a production faller.

I have not, Jed. I think it's a brilliant idea, but is not acceptable culturally here, so I have to limp along like you, stacking wedges as need be :D.

yes Stig, for the production faller, it makes all the sense to carry the proper gear. for anybody that wants to try it, they can, if they take the time to cut some onsite if they dont have the proper shims along,somewhat akin to cutting springboards from limbs. for residental work, keeping some multipurpose, scrap 2x4,3x4, and/or 4x4" on the rig could work (I hypothesize while typing one-handed from under a baby). all without getting in the doghouse for sacrificing the wife's favorite cutting board.

where would a person get cheap chunks of nylon?

Thanks Sean. Wooden shims eh? Now where cld a tree-guy get some wood? :|: Why didn't I think of that?

That was funny Burnham.

Well Jed, it's rather like the problem I have with bar length. To avoid being taken for some wimpy wannabe sawyer by the local knuckle-draggers, I'm forever saddled with hauling these ginormous bars around all the time...sad, isn't it?

Yeah... Sad but hilarious, and I'm no better.

Approximately an hour and fifteen minutes ago I fell victim to an even worse plight. In our shop, you're considered a wuss if you have to have some one "spot you" when you're backing the chipper into it's spot in the yard. "Do you want me to get out?" asked my foreman with an expired DOT physical card who was in the passengers' seat. "Heck no! Stay where you're at!" said I. (I'm about five years older than him.) ..... ...I darn dear ripped the mirror off the other rig. :O:O:O:lol::|::lol::|:

where would a person get cheap chunks of nylon?

I go to a local plastic/nylon factory every now and again and buy a whole sheet of 10 mm nylon.
Then I run it through the table saw and sell whatever we don't need ourselves to other loggers, at slightly inflated prices, to cover cost.

Works fine.

I've been using plain white nylon, but last time I noticed they had some sheets in almost day-glo purple.
That would be easier to find among the leaves and sawdust.

It really is a pity, we have that huge body of water between us, or I could supply the whole House with nylon shims.
The cost is only abot $2½ each, when I make them.

Yeah... Sad but hilarious, and I'm no better.

Approximately an hour and fifteen minutes ago I fell victim to an even worse plight. In our shop, you're considered a wuss if you have to have some one "spot you" when you're backing the chipper into it's spot in the yard. "Do you want me to get out?" asked my foreman with an expired DOT physical card who was in the passengers' seat. "Heck no! Stay where you're at!" said I. (I'm about five years older than him.) ..... ...I darn dear ripped the mirror off the other rig. :O:O:O:lol::|::lol::|:

sop for me for passenger, who is likely going 2 have to get out in 1 minute anyhow, 2 be an extra set of eyes. shouldnt have 2 baby driver, but way cheaper and easier than fixing something broken. no down time for repairs. no traffic ticket 4 a broken lens,etc.

cheap, money saving sop.

makes passenger have 2 be ready to work as soon as arrival. next step 4 passenger is then 2 throw out cones, etc.

lefty onehanded hunt and peck before, a few minutes ago, now the right is free, so more punctuation, and no txt-ish quickies.

Typing whilst holding babe again, Sean?
:)

:lol: I remember them days ... of course there weren't no computers, let alone internet ... I think we had progressed beyond rotary phones, though :D

I don't want my guys to back up with out a spotter, why should a guy just sit on his rear in the front seat when I am paying him.

SOP in my agency, about our most common vehicular mishap is backing accidents...though I work alone so much of the time I tend to do one of two alternatives:

Get turned around as soon as I arrive at a work site so it's a pull ahead manuever to leave when done; that means I'm backing around when the situation is fresh in my mind, rather than fogetting there's that stump back there or somesuch.

Or do a walk around before backing. It's a good thing to do, and easy to decide to skip it, I try to do it regularly.

Back