Flipline backup

RegC

TreeHouser
might be relevant to some situations

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/A2gjQeQ0xvM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good explanation of the possible problem that may be hidden in that kind of attachment...and a sound and simple backup. That mental reassurance that you have the possible problem mitigated gives you one less worry in the high intensity work you are doing. Thanks for sharing...a good example of how to make do when you have to.

I wonder if working in some coastal areas could accelerate any corrosion of a crimped wire core termination. Its common knowledge that peoples cars, appliances and so forth corrode away prematurely on our local coastline- there's a lot of sea spray which is often visible in the atmosphere.

Reg, your public service announcement type posts are fantastic. I still think about that one you did on fliplineing dead trees, and how you don't want to get into a pattern that causes a lot of movement and strain. Anyways, great video man.

Excellent vid.

Are you thinking of getting a new flip line when you are in town or sticking with the improv?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks

Excellent vid.

Are you thinking of getting a new flip line when you are in town or sticking with the improv?

Ill get a new one Cory. but Ill probably still use the split end attachment as a failsafe.

I guess my next question is this, is cable core required on the Canadian side as a safety thing?
I switched to 5/8ths 3 strand with spliced eyes on both ends for flip line on removals. I also am a big fan of swivel style snaps to help relieve the twisting motion on the cable core. I was a bit concerned with the cycles to failure of the steel rope and rust factor. Inspection is obviously key. A spliced eye on 3 strand has to be watched as well.
I do like your safety back up solution though :) Thanks for posting this Reg.

Can I trouble for a suggestion on what would be a good knot to use on the end of the back up split tail around the safety. I'm assuming that hitch capability isn't needed. I couldn't really tell what Reg had done there.

I believe its steel core, or you'd have to be tied in twice the whole time your cutting. Steel core works well because its semi ridged, so great for advancing over stubs and snags that you cant see on the opposite side.

I used a blakes on the backup, but a tautline hitch would work just the same I suppose. Ideally you want it to cinch up and almost lock.

I believe its steel core, or you'd have to be tied in twice the whole time your cutting. Steel core works well because its semi ridged, so great for advancing over stubs and snags that you cant see on the opposite side.

I used a blakes on the backup, but a tautline hitch would work just the same I suppose. Ideally you want it to cinch up and almost lock.

That's a good idea Reg. I use Yale steel core lanyards with swivel, supposed to be the top quality.

On the subject of lanyards I had this given to me about 10 years ago from a linesmen friend. He works for a government owned hydro electric company so he never had to pay for it. Ackland Grainger lists them for over $800.
It was brand new when I got it and I only used it once in a tall spruce with no limbs for the first 50 feet. Worked really slick but has been hanging on the wall ever since.
It's got cleats to lock onto metal surfaces or ice on a pole if a gaff out should happen. The linesmen used a neat little retractable lanyard into a enclosed spool for backup if they need to climb past wires on the pole.

20160404_115352-1.jpg 20160404_120211-1.jpg

Reg, I honestly believe you are one of the greats but how did you let it get this bad? I know gear cost money, but even little old me buys a new buck strap every year. Maybe spend less on christmas sweaters?:P

I wonder if working in some coastal areas could accelerate any corrosion of a crimped wire core termination. Its common knowledge that peoples cars, appliances and so forth corrode away prematurely on our local coastline- there's a lot of sea spray which is often visible in the atmosphere.

Don't know how I missed seeing this thread when first posted.... The very best way to have a steel core lanyard fail in my opinion is to buy one of the cheaper orange ones that is produced with copper swages concealed under black heat shrink. As I understand it the copper and steel cable have an eroding electrolysis action going on at least when there is moisture present. The black heat shrink both helps to trap moisture and conceal the corrosion.

In the last year or so I have heard of and seen a picture of one that broke and a guy fell thirty feet, and one that seperated but the person did not fall. Sadly the company that produces those has not seen fit to do an open recall or at least widespread warning.

On that note I would like to talk to the person that bought one of the orange fliplines from me long before I heard about these failures. As I understand it there are two companies using orange rope covers. If you have one that has black heat shrink over the cables compression fitting, strip the heat shrink off. If there is corrosion I would discontinue use. If there is no corrosion..., well peace of mind is only $98 and a Yale Maxi Flipline away in my opinion.

Back